Understanding Boyle's Law: The Effect of Volume Increase at Constant Temperature

In summary: This is because with a constant temperature, the molecules maintain the same average kinetic energy. However, when the volume is increased, the distance between collisions increases, leading to fewer collisions with the container walls. This results in a decrease in pressure, which is explained by Boyle's Law. In summary, a constant temperature and increase in volume leads to a decrease in pressure due to fewer collisions with the container walls, as explained by Boyle's Law.
bobsmith76
Effect of a volume increase at constant temperature: A constant temperature means that the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules remains unchanged. This in turn means that the rms speed of the molecules, u, is unchanged. If the volume is increased, however, the molecules must move a longer distance between collisions. Consequently, there are fewer collisions per unit time with the container walls, and pressure decreases. Thus, the model accounts in a simple way for Bovle's law

The above sentence is taken from a textbook. What I don't understand is when molecules collide why would the momentum decrease? I would think the momentum would merely be preserved or transferred from one atom to another, just like with billiard balls which are not affected by gravity.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't say the momentum decreases.

The number of colisions / time with the container walls decreases which gives a less force on the walls and so a lower measured pressure.

Note in an ideal gas you ignore any collisions between the gas molecules.

Never mind, I think I got it. It's collisions with the walls of the container, not collisions with other molecules, that's what I was not understanding. If the container is enlarged then the moleculues will hit the container walls less often.

bobsmith76 said:
Never mind, I think I got it. It's collisions with the walls of the container, not collisions with other molecules, that's what I was not understanding. If the container is enlarged then the moleculues will hit the container walls less often.

Exactly .

Firstly, it is important to understand that gas molecules are constantly in motion due to their high kinetic energy. This motion is random and can be in any direction. When these molecules collide with each other or with the walls of the container, their momentum changes. This is because momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. So, when a gas molecule collides with another molecule or with the walls of the container, its velocity changes, and therefore its momentum changes as well.

Now, let's consider the scenario described in the content - an increase in volume at constant temperature. As the volume increases, the molecules have more space to move around and therefore, they have to travel a longer distance between collisions. This means that the time between collisions also increases. As a result, there are fewer collisions per unit time with the walls of the container. This decrease in collisions means that there is less force exerted on the walls, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

To summarize, the decrease in pressure at constant temperature is a result of the decrease in the number of collisions per unit time due to the increase in volume. This is because the molecules have to travel a longer distance between collisions, which decreases the frequency of collisions and therefore, the force exerted on the walls. This is how the model accounts for Boyle's law - as volume increases, pressure decreases at constant temperature.

Related to Understanding Boyle's Law: The Effect of Volume Increase at Constant Temperature

1. What is Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law is a gas law that states the relationship between the volume and pressure of a gas at a constant temperature. It states that as the volume of a gas increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

2. How does volume increase affect pressure at constant temperature?

According to Boyle's Law, when the volume of a gas increases at a constant temperature, the pressure decreases. This means that when the gas molecules have more space to move around, they will exert less force on the walls of the container, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

3. What is the mathematical equation for Boyle's Law?

The mathematical equation for Boyle's Law is P1V1 = P2V2, where P represents pressure, V represents volume, and the subscripts 1 and 2 represent the initial and final values, respectively.

4. How does temperature affect Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law only applies when temperature is kept constant. If the temperature changes, the relationship between pressure and volume will no longer be linear and the law will not hold true.

5. What are some real-life applications of Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law is used in many everyday applications, such as in scuba diving tanks, where the pressure of the gas changes as the diver descends to deeper depths. It is also used in the production of carbonated beverages, where the pressure of the gas in the bottle is adjusted to achieve the desired level of carbonation. Additionally, it is used in medical equipment, such as ventilators, to regulate the flow of gases at different pressures.