Perfect gas in a box with a piston

In summary, the pressure in a closed box with a perfect gas is slightly larger than it would be if the gas had the same number of molecules in a larger volume. This is because the volume is finite, and the molecules have less space to move around.
Aleoa
We have a perfect gas in a closed box. On the top of the box there is a piston.
We know that the molecules of the gas exert a pressure on the piston.
Now let us put twice as many molecules in this tank, so as to double the
density, and let them have the same speed, i.e., the same temperature.
At this point my book says :

"If we consider the true nature of the forces between the atoms, we would expect
a slight decrease in pressure because of the attraction between the atoms, and
a slight increase because of the finite volume they occupy."

I'm not able to understand what does the underlined sentence mean, can you help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are giving a verbal description of the corrections from an ideal gas that are found in the Van der Waal's equation: ## (P+\frac{a n^2}{V^2})(V-nb)=nRT ##. The part of the sentence in bold letters is what the correction term ##-nb ## represents. Because of this term, the pressure ## P ## will be slightly larger. ## \\ ##For the previous part of the sentence, the correction is the ## +\frac{an^2}{V^2} ## term.

Likes Aleoa
Intuitively speaking, how is connected the slight increase of pressure with the fact that the volume is finite ?

Aleoa said:
Intuitively speaking, how is connected the slight increase of pressure with the fact that the volume is finite ?
A given gas particle=say you put an atom in the container that has zero volume, will be moving around inside a volume that will be basically ## V-nb ## because of the volume occupied by all of the other gas particles. Their finite volume essentially makes the effective volume of the container slightly smaller.

Likes Aleoa
And this, in which way produces an increment of pressure ?

Last edited:
Aleoa said:
And this, in which way produces an increment of pressure ?
The lower volume in the equation, (i.e. ## V-nb ## instead of ## V ##), means ##P ## will need to be slightly larger in order for the product of ## P+\frac{an^2}{V^2} ## and ## V-nb ## to equal ## nRT ##.

If we first try to model a gas with the ideal gas law and the we use the Wan der Waal's correction, what changes it that the number of molecules are fewer in the real modeling of the problem, since every molecules has a definite volume in the real case, and cannot be considered as a point.
A part from Wan der Waal's mathematic formula, i don't understand why this cause a increment in pressure.

Aleoa said:
If we first try to model a gas with the ideal gas law and the we use the Wan der Waal's correction, what changes it that the number of molecules are fewer in the real modeling of the problem, since every molecules has a definite volume in the real case, and cannot be considered as a point.
A part from Wan der Waal's mathematic formula, i don't understand why this cause a increment in pressure.
In the modeling of the problem, the number of molecules is still ## n N_A ##, where ## n ## is the number of moles and ## N_A ## is Avogadro's number. If you put the same number of molecules at the same temperature into a (slightly) smaller volume, the pressure will increase.

I still don't understand why, physically, this happens. (A part from the math).

What i think is that, since the molecules has a certain volume, the have less space to move in the container, so they collide with each other (and with the walls) more frequently. Is this correct ?

Likes Charles Link

Related to Perfect gas in a box with a piston

1. What is a perfect gas?

A perfect gas is an idealized form of a gas that follows the gas laws (Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Avogadro's law) at all temperatures and pressures. It has particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other, allowing for easy calculation of properties such as pressure, volume, and temperature.

2. What does it mean for a gas to be in a box with a piston?

A gas in a box with a piston refers to the concept of a closed container with a movable piston that allows for changes in volume and pressure. The gas is confined within the box, and the piston can be manipulated to either compress or expand the gas.

3. How does the pressure of a perfect gas in a box with a piston change with volume?

According to Boyle's law, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume at a constant temperature. Therefore, as the volume of the gas decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa.

4. Can the temperature of a perfect gas in a box with a piston change?

Yes, the temperature of a perfect gas in a box with a piston can change. According to Charles's law, the temperature of a gas is directly proportional to its volume at a constant pressure. This means that as the gas expands, its temperature decreases, and as it compresses, its temperature increases.

5. What is the difference between a perfect gas and a real gas in a box with a piston?

A perfect gas is an idealized form of a gas that follows the gas laws at all temperatures and pressures. In contrast, a real gas may deviate from these laws due to factors such as intermolecular interactions and the finite volume of gas particles. Therefore, a real gas in a box with a piston may not behave exactly like a perfect gas, especially at high pressures and low temperatures.