Understanding and Managing Curly Hair: The Role of Hair Bulb Shape

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's frustration with their curly hair and their search for a solution. They mention genetics and hair treatments such as relaxers and straighteners, but also consider finding a haircut that works with their natural curls. They are seeking advice and are willing to pay for a solution.
eapro
My hair is so curly, and I hate it so much.:frown: I wouldn't mind if it was wavy but it's curls a like 1cm length. And when dry it's especially hideous. I did a little research and found out that in curly hair the hair bulb inside the scalp is hook shaped, and in straight hair it's straight.

I am so desperate that I am offering money for a solution. You can PM me for more about that but anything else you know please post here.

Please, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
who moved my thread?

who moved my thread?

Its pretty impossible to change the shape of your hair bulbs they are determined by your genetics. Gene therapy might work but that technology being used for cosmetic purposes is years away. At one time you could get straightening solutions you could apply yourself that would last about a month but they were too damaging to the hair and were withdrawn from the market. Your best bet for now is a pair of really good ceramic straighteners and a lot of practise with them.

There are still hair relaxers that you can get applied by a hair dresser/stylist. The curls are determined by the amount of disulfide bonds in the hair, and the chemical relaxers help break those bonds. Longer hairstyles also help weight down the curls, so they aren't as tight; alternatively, cutting hair very short is another way to go so it's just too short to get a full curl in (I don't know if you're male or female or what your preferences are for hair length). You might want to pop into the nearest salon and ask them about what they can do. As Kurdt pointed out, using a hair straightener iron thingy in conjunction with a blow dryer can help, but be prepared to add lots of goopy stuff to your hair to hold it that way during the day.

Or, you might be able to find a hair cut that takes advantage of your natural curls and makes them more flattering rather than trying to get rid of them. I know a small handful of people with hair that curly, and they all hated it when younger, but as they got older, realized people found it very attractive, and started to flaunt it rather than hide it.

Then again, there's a vast selection of wigs out there.

Moonbear said:
There are still hair relaxers that you can get applied by a hair dresser/stylist. The curls are determined by the amount of disulfide bonds in the hair, and the chemical relaxers help break those bonds. Longer hairstyles also help weight down the curls, so they aren't as tight; alternatively, cutting hair very short is another way to go so it's just too short to get a full curl in (I don't know if you're male or female or what your preferences are for hair length). You might want to pop into the nearest salon and ask them about what they can do. As Kurdt pointed out, using a hair straightener iron thingy in conjunction with a blow dryer can help, but be prepared to add lots of goopy stuff to your hair to hold it that way during the day.

Or, you might be able to find a hair cut that takes advantage of your natural curls and makes them more flattering rather than trying to get rid of them. I know a small handful of people with hair that curly, and they all hated it when younger, but as they got older, realized people found it very attractive, and started to flaunt it rather than hide it.

I know about relaxers and irons but they only temporary (only grown hair). And besides that my hair is too short for irons, as I am male.

eapro said:
My hair is so curly, and I hate it so much.:frown: I wouldn't mind if it was wavy but it's curls a like 1cm length. And when dry it's especially hideous. I did a little research and found out that in curly hair the hair bulb inside the scalp is hook shaped, and in straight hair it's straight.

I am so desperate that I am offering money for a solution. You can PM me for more about that but anything else you know please post here.

Please, please help.

Go to a hairdresser that has experience dealing with curly hair, if you get it cut right it can look really good. I know men with very curly hair, some wear it good and it looks very flattering, others don't get it cut right or don't use the right products so it looks very unflattering.

Related to Understanding and Managing Curly Hair: The Role of Hair Bulb Shape

1. How does hair bulb shape affect hair growth?

The shape of the hair bulb plays a crucial role in determining the texture and appearance of hair. Hair follicles with a round bulb tend to produce straight hair, while those with an oval or irregularly shaped bulb produce curly or wavy hair.

2. Can hair bulb shape be changed?

Yes, hair bulb shape can be changed through various methods such as chemical treatments, heat styling, and genetics. However, the changes may not be permanent and may require regular maintenance to maintain the desired shape.

3. What causes a change in hair bulb shape?

The shape of the hair bulb is determined by genetics, but external factors such as hormones, stress, and certain medical conditions can also affect it. For example, hormonal imbalances during puberty or pregnancy can cause changes in hair bulb shape, resulting in changes in hair texture.

4. Can changing hair bulb shape damage hair?

Yes, changing hair bulb shape through chemical treatments and heat styling can damage the hair. It can lead to breakage, split ends, and overall hair damage if not done properly or if the hair is not properly cared for afterwards.

5. Are there any natural ways to change hair bulb shape?

Yes, regular scalp massages and using hair care products with natural ingredients can help promote hair growth and improve hair bulb shape. Additionally, adopting a healthy diet and reducing stress can also contribute to healthier hair and potentially a change in hair bulb shape over time.