Understand Summation Notation & Clear Confusion

In summary, there is a discrepancy in the given summation notation involving a matrix and a vector, which does not differentiate between a row vector and a column vector. This can be resolved by using Einstein's notation and implementing it correctly.
Lucid Dreamer
I am trying to understand summation notation and there are a few inconsistencies in my head that I would like to clear up.

Suppose C is an m*n matrix and [itex] \vec{x} [/itex] is a 1*m row vector. Then,

[tex] \vec{x}C = \sum_{i} x_{i}C_{ij} = \sum_{i} C_{ij}x_{i} = \sum_{i} {C_{ji}}^Tx_{i} = C^T \vec{x} [/tex]

This is clearly wrong but I'm not sure which operation is wrong. In terms of dimensions it doesn't make sense since [itex] C^T [/itex] is n*m and [itex] \vec{x} [/itex] is 1*m.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The discrepancy arises because this way of defining a matrix and vector does not differentiate between (e.g.) a row vector and a column vector. Have a look at this for a general introduction to Einstein's notation and this for it's implementation in your case. No issues there!

Specifically, it is saying that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x & y\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a & c \\ b & d\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Related to Understand Summation Notation & Clear Confusion

What is summation notation?

Summation notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of numbers or terms. It is denoted by the symbol Σ, which stands for "sum".

How do you read summation notation?

Summation notation is read as "the sum of" or "the summation of". The terms or numbers to be summed are represented by the variable following the Σ symbol, and the starting and ending values of the summation are written below and above the Σ symbol, respectively.

What is the purpose of summation notation?

The purpose of summation notation is to simplify and compactly represent a series of numbers or terms. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of sums.

What does the variable in summation notation represent?

The variable in summation notation represents the terms or numbers to be summed. It usually takes on different values as the summation progresses, and can be any letter or symbol.

How do you use summation notation to calculate a sum?

To calculate a sum using summation notation, you need to plug in the values for the starting and ending points of the summation, and then evaluate the expression. For example, if the summation is from i=1 to n, you would substitute i=1 and n into the expression and simplify the resulting equation.