0-1 kNapsack problem FPTAS algorithm

• Thread starter StIgM@
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary, the problem at hand is a variant of the 0-1 knapsack problem. The objective is to buy X units of a product at minimum cost, with m farmers offering different quantities of the product at different costs. The constraint is that only one option can be chosen from each farmer. Formally, the objective is to minimize the sum of the costs for each option chosen, subject to the constraint that the sum of the quantities chosen must be equal to or greater than X. It is not clear whether this problem is NP-complete or not, but algorithms such as the simplex algorithm can be used to solve it. It is also possible to use a FPTAS algorithm for this problem.
StIgM@
I have the following 0-1 knapsack problem variant:

I want to buy X units of a product at min cost, and there are m farmers that offer:

- farmer 1: a11 units at cost c11, ..., a1n1 units at cost c1n1
- farmer m: am1 units at cost cm1, ..., amnm units at cost cmnm

and I can choose at most one option from each farmer.

Formally, I want to

[tex]Minimise \sum_{i=1}^{m} \sum_{j=1}^{n_i} x_{ij}c_{ij}[/tex]

subject to [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{m} \sum_{j=1}^{n_i} x_{ij}a_{ij} >= X[/tex]

where [tex]x_{ij}\in\{0,1\}[/tex]

Could you please let me know if this problem resembles a variant of 0-1 knapsack problem?

Is there any FPTAS algorithm that suits this problem?

Thanks in advance

Note: It's not homework. The problem is different and this example is a simplification.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you only can decide between "buy all" and "do not buy" from a certain farmer, then it is a 0-1-problem. It is an ordinary optimization problem, so algorithms like the simplex algorithm should help. The complexity of the problem is another question, i.e. whether it is NP complete or not. Looks as it is at first sight, but to decide this the problem has to be stated very precisely and a proof is needed.

Related to 0-1 kNapsack problem FPTAS algorithm

What is the 0-1 Knapsack Problem?

The 0-1 Knapsack Problem is a combinatorial optimization problem where given a set of items, each with a weight and value, the goal is to maximize the value of items in a knapsack without exceeding its weight capacity.

What is an FPTAS algorithm?

An FPTAS (Fully Polynomial-Time Approximation Scheme) algorithm is a type of algorithm that provides a solution to an NP-hard problem with an error bound. It runs in polynomial time and guarantees a solution that is close to the optimal solution.

How does the FPTAS algorithm work for the 0-1 Knapsack Problem?

The FPTAS algorithm for the 0-1 Knapsack Problem works by first setting a precision value, which determines the granularity of the solution. Then, it uses a dynamic programming approach to solve the problem for the given precision value. The algorithm repeats this process for decreasing precision values until it reaches a precision value of 1, providing a near-optimal solution.

What are the advantages of using an FPTAS algorithm for the 0-1 Knapsack Problem?

One advantage of using an FPTAS algorithm for the 0-1 Knapsack Problem is that it guarantees a solution within a certain error bound. This means that even if the optimal solution is not achievable in polynomial time, the FPTAS algorithm can still provide a close enough solution. Additionally, FPTAS algorithms have a faster runtime compared to exact algorithms for NP-hard problems, making them more practical for real-world applications.

Are there any limitations to the FPTAS algorithm for the 0-1 Knapsack Problem?

One limitation of using an FPTAS algorithm for the 0-1 Knapsack Problem is that the precision value must be chosen carefully. If the precision value is too small, the algorithm may take a long time to run, and if it is too large, the solution may not be as close to the optimal solution. Additionally, the FPTAS algorithm can only guarantee a solution within a certain error bound, so it may not always provide the optimal solution.