Undergraduate studies for a career in renewable energy

In summary, the speaker is a 20-year-old physics student who is interested in working in the science or engineering field, particularly in R&D for renewable energy. They are open to pursuing graduate degrees and plan to participate in an ROTC program. Other individuals suggest that mechanical or electrical engineering, with a focus on power or energy, would be a good route for them. The speaker realizes that their question has already been asked multiple times and mentions a degree program in environmental engineering with a focus on renewable energy at their school.
solarboy
I'm right now twenty years old and in my second semester of a physics degree at a school which has a pretty wide variety of engineering and science degrees and an excellent reputation in those fields. I think I would be happy working in almost any science/engineering field, but I'm most interested in R&D renewable energy. anyone have any ideas what to study to get into that?
I'm entirely willing to go for graduate degrees, and in fact I kind of assume I'll wind up doing so.
I'm probably going into an ROTC program, but I'm told that if the degree has something to do with science or engineering and my grades are OK, the military will be fine with it. (I know it's going to be a few years out of my life, but those are years I'm going to spend serving my country and getting some experience in whatever field I'm in. that's not the point of the thread.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical engineering with "power engineering" or "energy engineering" focus is probably a good route for you.

Any mechanical or electrical engineering should be fine.

thanks, guys.
the truth is, I just looked around and there are about ten different posts that are basically asking the same question as I am. should have done my homework first...

my school has a degree program in environmental engineering with a concentration in renewable energy

Related to Undergraduate studies for a career in renewable energy

1. What is the importance of studying renewable energy at the undergraduate level?

Studying renewable energy at the undergraduate level provides a strong foundation in the principles and technologies of renewable energy. This knowledge is crucial in pursuing a career in the field, as it allows for a deeper understanding of the challenges and opportunities in the renewable energy industry.

2. What are some common undergraduate majors for a career in renewable energy?

Some common undergraduate majors for a career in renewable energy include environmental science, engineering, physics, and sustainability studies. These majors provide a strong background in the scientific and technical aspects of renewable energy.

3. Are there any specific skills or courses that are particularly important for a career in renewable energy?

Some important skills for a career in renewable energy include problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis. Courses in renewable energy technologies, sustainable design, and environmental policy are also valuable in developing a strong understanding of the field.

4. What types of jobs are available in the renewable energy industry for undergraduate graduates?

There are a variety of job opportunities in the renewable energy industry for undergraduate graduates, including roles in renewable energy research and development, project management, and policy analysis. Other potential job titles include renewable energy engineer, sustainability consultant, and renewable energy analyst.

5. Are there any internships or hands-on experiences available for undergraduate students interested in renewable energy?

Yes, there are many internships and hands-on experiences available for undergraduate students interested in renewable energy. These opportunities can provide valuable practical experience and help students develop skills that are highly sought after in the industry. It is recommended to research and apply for internships and other experiential learning opportunities early in your undergraduate studies.