Undergrad Schools for Theoretical Physics, Engineering & Math

In summary, when considering good undergraduate schools for theoretical physics, engineering, and math, some top choices include MIT, Caltech, RPI, and Carnegie Mellon. These can be found on the US News rankings. It's important to narrow down your interests and focus on what you want to study before worrying about specific schools. In general, math programs focus on theory and proofs, physics programs involve a lot of lab work, and engineering programs focus on applications. A dual major in math and physics can be a great option for those interested in both fields. Liberal Arts Colleges can also be a good choice for smaller class sizes and more attention from professors. Some recommended LACs include Harvey Mudd and Loyola University Chicago.
Somebody502
What are good undergrad schools for theoretical physics, engineering, and math? I still don't know which one I want to major in but I'm only in 9th grade. Also what are pluses(?) and minuses of each as a study?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
well, obviously its MIT, Caltech, RPI, Carnegie Mellon, ... all these u can find on US News i guess..

be a little more specific then we might be able to pinpoint a small group for ur needs

I can't get much more specific with the physics but I like reading about quantum gravity. I can get more specific in the engineering though, I would like to do either chemical, genetic, or computer egineering, and math wise I'm only in higher algebra, which I like, but i haven't tried much else so I'm not sure about that.

With regard to specific schools, I don't think you should be worrying about it yet! Concentrate on figuring out what you want to study :smile:.

With regard to the different subjects:

In mathematics, you will spend most of your time proving things. A standard undergraduate program will give you courses in analysis (real and complex), algebra, differential equations, topology, probability and combinatorics, number theory, and other subjects. Within a math program you will not get much in the way of applications in core courses.

Theoretical physics, at least at my school, is not very well-separated from any of the other physics programs. You will have to do a lot of laboratory work. You'll get courses in classical dynamics, electromagnetism, optics, modern physics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics, as well as courses in single-variable and vector calculus and linear algebra. You'll also likely have a course in mathematical methods, and perhaps another in complex variables, which will cover various tools useful in physics. You won't get to see much of the abstract side of mathematics.

Engineering programs will focus on applications. Lots of labs, and math classes focused on tools. You will also have physics courses specialized for engineering applications, and "core" engineering courses (as you can probably tell, I'm much less-familiar with engineering programs; you probably don't want to listen to me about this!).

Currently I'm a fourth-year math-physics double major student in Canada. I have enjoyed the combination immensely; over the summer, I worked at the university doing research in theoretical particle physics, and now I am starting an honours project in analytic number theory (which is about as far as you can get from physics within math!). If you are interested in both fields and willing to do work, then I highly reccomend such programs! It involves laboratory work, and requires you to quickly switch from thinking about physical problems to abstract mathematical problems, but if you are motivated, the fields can complement each other quite nicely. The main disadvantage to such programs is the limitations they force to choices of elective courses in each field (there are some really cool math courses that I don't have time to take!).

For reference, here is a list of math and physics courses I've taken (and am taking):

1st year:

math - single-var calculus, linear algebra
physics - kinematics & thermodynamics (lab), electromagnetism (lab)

2nd year:

math - vector calculus, linear algebra, abstract algebra, ordinary differential equations, mathematical methods, probability & combinatorics
physics - modern physics (lab), optics (lab), quantum mechanics

3rd year:

math - real analysis & intro. to topology, complex analysis, group theory, game theory, differential forms
physics - classical dynamics, thermodynamics & statistical physics, modern physics ii (lab), lab course

4th year:

math - number theory, automata, group theory ii, honours project in number theory
physics - electrodynamics, quantum mechanics ii & iii, cosmology, particle physics

Hopefully this will give you some idea of what sort of diversity in courses you will see in the two fields. This includes essentially all of the honours courses in a standard honours physics program, modulo typical math courses, which are replaced with elements from an honours math program. There are a couple of courses missing that are in an honours math program at my school: rings and fields (which you get some of in the second year algebra courses), and some additional math electives.

Last edited:
but, u know what? u really shouldn't worry too much on which school it is for undergraduate... juz let it be a technical school and not an arts school.. that's pretty enough... or maybe a liberal arts college could be better as they give u a lot of attention.. its really important as i am a freshman this year. The uni i am in teaches multivariable calculus in first sem (wtf??) yes yes.. and they teach it like its a piece of cake... and one lecture room has around 400 students... liberal arts certainly wouldn't at the very extreme have more than 50..

Thank you for your posts.

about Liberal Arts

I agree that liberal Arts school can be better in some cases.
I go to Loyola University CHicago and am in my first year fo their Theoretical Physics and Applied Mathematics program. Now the Theoretical Physics isn't too distant form their regualr physics program, but they also offer Physics and Engineering also or Physics and Computer Sciecne. The Department isn't that big, buut you get a lot of attention and they really push you to excel and to connect with all the other physics maors. I would recommend looking at other schools in the Chicago area possibly, IIT or U of Chicago. The location is great if you are looking for internships and seminars to attend because of FermiLab and Argonne being so close. I think U. of Chicago also hosts physics seminars every so often but I could be wrong.

I agree with the comments about looking into LACs, they really are top notch. Harvey Mudd is incredibly good at all science, math, and engineering.

I think Liberal Art Colleges often go unnoticed. My first choice in school was a state school that was known for being good in science and engineering, however I ended up at a Jesuit liberal arts school studying Physics and Math, and I love every minute of it

So what are the best jesuit schools in terms of math and physics. I'm looking for a good safety cause I'm applying to a bunch of top tier, MIT and such. I believe a jesuit school would be easy enough to get into since i go to a jesuit high school. Canisius High School in buffalo, ny that is

The OCW courses in physics are okay. They are nothing different from other colleges. The exams are easy.

I applied to the top tier with 3 full SAT Subject Test scores, all denied. :cry::frown: Princeton was kind enough to give me an interview. But that maybe becuz I am from Burma (ever heard of this country?).

I think Vassar and Swarthmore are good at engineering too..

Oh , yes there are also those 3-2 programs where u can transfer from a LAC to a Uni,.. that's pretty nice too...

yeah,

I agree with going to a smaller school then transfering into the big school. I went to a branch campus at Penn State, my gpa is a 3.9 transfering into my jr. year. Now I'm going to college for free at Penn State Main Campus and am also I'm in the top 8 of my graduating class. It sure does look nice on a resume and branch campuses are so so much easier. It was like high school almost.

But when the employers look at your transcripts all they see is Penn State, not that you went to a branch campus for the first 2 years. Unless the campus you go to is not related to the main university. Just an idea

Of course, most employers don't care what your class rank was upon graduation. Most employers don't even care what your GPA was after you've had a few years of work experience.

- Warren

I'm sorry that I do not know exactly what the best jesuit school is in terms of math and science, however I attend Loyola University of Chicago as a Physics and Math major, so far I can say they have a very strong physics dept. They push you to be very active in the dept and want you to get to know all of the faculty and studnets very quickly which is a good thing in my opinion. I don't have as much interaction with the math dept, so I can't tell you much other than I am in Calc 3 and its going well so far.
I love the school overall, if you like big cities, and don't mind some cold weather, you may want to look into LUC

sdemjanenko said:
So what are the best jesuit schools in terms of math and physics. I'm looking for a good safety cause I'm applying to a bunch of top tier, MIT and such. I believe a jesuit school would be easy enough to get into since i go to a jesuit high school. Canisius High School in buffalo, ny that is

Of course, most employers don't care what your class rank was upon graduation. Most employers don't even care what your GPA was after you've had a few years of work experience.

But they will care where you went.

Please note this thread was last posted in two years ago before you resurrected it.

Related to Undergrad Schools for Theoretical Physics, Engineering & Math

1. What are the top undergraduate schools for theoretical physics?

The top undergraduate schools for theoretical physics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Princeton University, Harvard University, and Stanford University. These schools have strong programs in physics and renowned faculty members who conduct cutting-edge research in theoretical physics.

2. Are there any specific undergraduate schools that specialize in engineering?

Yes, there are several undergraduate schools that specialize in engineering, such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech), University of California-Berkeley, Purdue University, and University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. These schools have highly ranked engineering programs with a variety of specializations, including mechanical, electrical, civil, and biomedical engineering.

3. Can you recommend any top undergraduate schools for mathematics?

Some of the top undergraduate schools for mathematics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Princeton University, University of California-Berkeley, Harvard University, and Stanford University. These schools have strong mathematics programs with a wide range of courses and opportunities for undergraduate research in various areas of math, such as pure mathematics, applied mathematics, and statistics.

4. Is it common for schools to offer combined programs in theoretical physics, engineering, and math?

Yes, it is becoming increasingly common for schools to offer combined programs in these fields, as they are closely related and often overlap. For example, some schools offer a dual degree program where students can earn a Bachelor of Science in both physics and engineering, or a Bachelor of Science in mathematics and computer science. These programs allow students to gain a strong foundation in multiple disciplines and prepare them for diverse career paths.

5. What factors should I consider when choosing an undergraduate school for theoretical physics, engineering, or math?

When choosing an undergraduate school for these fields, some important factors to consider include the strength and reputation of the program, the faculty and their research interests, the opportunities for undergraduate research and internships, the availability of advanced courses and specializations, the resources and facilities available for students, the location and campus culture, and the potential for post-graduation opportunities, such as graduate school or job placement. It is also important to consider your personal interests and goals to find a school that aligns with them.