Undergrad prep for research in rockey propulsion?

In summary, the individual is interested in pursuing a career in rocket propulsion and is unsure whether to study aerospace engineering or physics for preparation. They have chosen to study physics and math at the University of Toronto, but are also considering aerospace engineering. They are seeking advice from someone with experience and are aware that current research in rocket propulsion may involve plasma physics. However, there is some debate on whether plasma physics is heavily involved in current research. The individual believes that ion propulsion is the future of rocket propulsion and has seen this mentioned on MIT and Caltech's websites.
iratern
I think that R&D in rocket propulsion is something that I would like to do. I am just wondering what would be the best prep for it? Aerospace engineering or physics?

I am going to study physics and maths at the University of Toronto because it interests me and I believe that it can open a huge future for me, but I am curious about aerospace engineering. So if anyone who has experience can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

(I also realize that current research in rocket propulsion is heavy in plasma physics so I believe that I may be in right direction.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Aerospace engineering would probably provide better preparation for rocket propulsion, which is mostly chemical physics, chemical engineering and mechanical engineering. On the other hand, one can still study physics.

I'm not sure that 'current research in rocket propulsion is heavy in plasma physics', since flames are generally not plasmas in the sense that atoms are dissociated into nuclei and electrons, but are generally at best weakly ionized gases.

There is some research such as ion propulsion and perhaps some plasma propulsion.

Well, I my main reasoning is that chemical propulsion is reaching its limits and that the future rests in ion propulsion (for space). That's the impression I received from MIT's and Caltech's sites. But thanks for your opinion.

Related to Undergrad prep for research in rockey propulsion?

1. How should I choose my undergraduate courses to prepare for research in rocket propulsion?

When preparing for research in rocket propulsion, it is important to have a strong foundation in math, physics, and engineering. Focus on taking courses in these subjects, as well as any specific rocket propulsion courses offered by your university. It may also be beneficial to take courses in materials science or aerodynamics, as these are important areas of study in rocket propulsion.

2. What kind of hands-on experience should I have before pursuing research in rocket propulsion?

Hands-on experience is essential for preparing for research in rocket propulsion. Look for opportunities to participate in engineering projects, internships, or research experiences related to rocket propulsion. This will not only give you practical knowledge and skills, but also demonstrate your passion and dedication to the field.

3. Are there any specific skills or software programs I should learn for research in rocket propulsion?

Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, such as SolidWorks or AutoCAD, is highly beneficial for research in rocket propulsion. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages such as MATLAB or Python can also be useful for data analysis and simulation. Familiarity with computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software, such as ANSYS, can also be valuable for understanding fluid flow and heat transfer in rocket engines.

4. How important is it to have a strong understanding of rocket propulsion theory before starting research?

A strong understanding of rocket propulsion theory is essential for conducting research in this field. It is important to have a solid grasp of concepts such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and propulsion systems. Without this foundation, it will be difficult to design and analyze experiments or simulations related to rocket propulsion.

5. What are some additional steps I can take to prepare for research in rocket propulsion?

Aside from coursework and hands-on experience, there are other ways to prepare for research in rocket propulsion. Attend conferences and workshops related to rocket propulsion to learn about current research and network with professionals in the field. Consider joining a rocketry or aerospace engineering club at your university to gain practical experience and collaborate with other students interested in this field. Lastly, stay up to date on current events and advancements in rocket propulsion by following industry news and publications.