Undergrad Engineering Transfer

In summary, the person is currently studying Mechanical Engineering at their state university and is planning to transfer to better schools next year. They have a decent GPA and SAT scores and are hoping to land a research position in the MechEng department. They are considering WPI, Northeastern, RPI, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, and MIT, with RPI being their top choice. They had some difficulties in high school but have since overcome them and are now looking for a more fulfilling academic experience. Their chances of being accepted to these schools are decent, with WPI, Northeastern, and RPI being more likely and Cornell and MIT being more selective. High school grades may carry more weight for a transfer into sophomore year, and they can reapply
gdbb
Hello,

I'm currently doing Mechanical Engineering (Mathematics minor) at my state university. I'm going to apply to transfer to some "better" schools next year (so I'd be starting at the new university in Fall 2012). Some schools I'm considering to transfer to are WPI, Northeastern, RPI, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, MIT. I don't have outstanding credentials under my belt (mostly volunteer work that doesn't pertain to my major due to lack of pertinent resources -- however, I am pursuing a research position in the MechEng dept. at my university this upcoming fall, hopefully I get that), but I do have a decent GPA and SAT scores (3.7 GPA and 1350 CR+MA, 1420MA+WR on the SAT (I know that WPI accepts either CR+MA or MA+WR scores, but not the others)). I was wondering, if I maintain that GPA and land a research position next year, what my chances are of being accepted as a transfer student to those schools. I realize that the latter two are unlikely, and my real dream is to go to RPI for undergrad, but I am nevertheless going to apply to all of the above listed schools.

I'd really like to go to what I described as a "better" school because the ME dept. at my school just isn't fulfilling for me (I can't think of any other way to describe it). I had some complications in high school, and luckily overcame them towards the end, but still was only able to graduate with a 2.5 GPA. Thus, my state university was the only place I could get into. Now that all is fine with me, I want to move on to bigger and better places (and this may sound pompous, though I like to think of it as confident, but I feel like I truly belong somewhere better).

Also, if you could complement your opinion on my chances of transferring with other advice, that'd be awesome! I really appreciate all input, especially constructive criticism. And I realize that the "I had problems in high school, overcame adversity and am now thriving in college" story is overplayed in college essays/personal statements, so I will probably avoid using that (again).

P.S. Please excuse my overzealous use of parentheses. :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump! Still want to hear what people have to say about this. :)

From what you have posted, WPI, Northeastern, and RPI seem like good choices. You seem like a good candidate for those schools based on your GPA / SAT scores. Carnegie Mellon is a bit of a reach, but you should be able to get in. Cornell and MIT are much more selective, and therefore I would say apply but don't bank on them. Cornell is a much easier transfer than MIT, and with some luck you could probably get an acceptance, but MIT is, as always, a crapshoot.

Here's around the area of transfer acceptance rates:

WPI - Around 40%
Northeastern - Around 45%
RPI - Around 60%
Cornell - Around 20-25%
MIT - Around 5%

So, I would say a pretty good shot at the first 3, a decent shot at Cornell, and MIT is probably a no, but you never know.

Also, high school grades matter more when transferring in as a sophomore rather than a junior, so that is something to consider. Also, you can always apply to transfer for junior year (in sophomore year) again if you are applying for sophomore year.

Related to Undergrad Engineering Transfer

1. What is an undergrad engineering transfer?

An undergrad engineering transfer refers to the process of transferring from one undergraduate engineering program to another. This can be within the same institution or to a different institution.

2. What are the requirements for an undergrad engineering transfer?

The specific requirements for an undergrad engineering transfer vary depending on the institution and program. Generally, students must have completed a certain number of credits and have a minimum GPA to be eligible for transfer. Additionally, some programs may require specific courses or prerequisites to be completed before transferring.

3. Can I transfer from a non-engineering program to an engineering program?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a non-engineering program to an engineering program. However, the specific requirements and process may differ from transferring between engineering programs. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in transferring to.

4. How long does an undergrad engineering transfer take?

The length of an undergrad engineering transfer can vary depending on the individual student's circumstances and the specific requirements of the program they are transferring to. In general, it can take anywhere from one to two years to complete the transfer process.

5. Are there any resources available to help with the undergrad engineering transfer process?

Yes, most institutions have resources available to assist students with the undergrad engineering transfer process. This may include academic advisors, transfer counselors, and transfer orientation programs. It is also helpful to research and reach out to current students or alumni who have gone through the transfer process for guidance and advice.