Under damped and Over damped systems Examples

In summary, the conversation discusses two examples of different damped systems - underdamped and overdamped. The first example involves a robot company where a large tool caused the robot's wrist joints to constantly oscillate due to excessive rotational inertia. This is an example of an underdamped system. The second example involves a linear servo motor where the damping was set too high, resulting in slow movement and settling at the desired position. This is an example of an overdamped system.
prasad119
hey,
could you help me with a few examples of Underdamped and Over damped systems?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pretty famous case of underdamped:

Last edited by a moderator:
I once worked for a robot company and was asked to evaluate a company's end of arm tooling. Robots have wrist joints (Joint 5) and the rotary tool flange joint (Joint 6). Joint 5 & 6 are far out on the mechanical arm and have limits of their "strength". This means the servo motor and gear train that supply torque to these two joints have limits on torque and mass moment of inertia about the joint axis. In the design engineering, Dynamic Torque = (Mass Moment of Inertia) X (rotational acceleration alpha about the axis).

Customer designed a huge "pizza pan" tool that was meant to rotate around joint 6. There was so much rotational inertia about joint 6, the joint 6 servo motor was unable to supply sufficient torque to stablilize the mass and null to a precise position. The "pizza pan" just oscillated in rotation constantly. Similar for joint 5, it just oscillated. UNDERDAMPED.

Another motion control situation I had involved a linear servo motor. I needed to positon a mass to a commanded position. The fastest way to do achieve a setpoint is by attempting to tune the servo positioner system to a "critically damped" criterion. This includes minimal overshoot of the position. The servo controller was capable of setting many parameters, including various damping values. During tuning I set damping too high. My program commanded the servo to move to a desired location and it slowly started moving, slowly approached the setpoint, never overshot the position, and settled. It required several seconds to do this, as compared with less than one second for a properly tuned system. OVERDAMPED.

Related to Under damped and Over damped systems Examples

What is an underdamped system?

An underdamped system is a type of system in which the damping force is not strong enough to bring the system to equilibrium quickly. This results in the system oscillating around its equilibrium position before eventually settling down.

What is an overdamped system?

An overdamped system is a type of system in which the damping force is too strong, causing the system to take a longer time to reach equilibrium. Unlike an underdamped system, an overdamped system does not oscillate and instead approaches its equilibrium position in a smooth manner.

What are some real-life examples of underdamped systems?

Some common examples of underdamped systems include a swinging pendulum, a bouncing basketball, and a weight attached to a spring.

What are some real-life examples of overdamped systems?

Overdamped systems can be observed in situations such as a door closer, shock absorbers in a car, and a parachute opening.

How do underdamped and overdamped systems differ in their response to external disturbances?

Underdamped systems show a more sensitive response to external disturbances, resulting in oscillations. On the other hand, overdamped systems have a slower response to disturbances and do not oscillate.