Uncountable family of disjoint closed sets

In summary, the statement "Every pairwise disjoint family of closed subsets of ℝ is countable" is false, as there exists a counter example of a family consisting of single-element sets, which is uncountable in ℝ. This is because there is a bijection between the family and the uncountable set ℝ, making the family uncountable as well.
sazanda

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following statements are true or false
a) Every pairwise disjoint family of open subsets of ℝ is countable.
b) Every pairwise disjoint family of closed subsets of ℝ is countable.

Homework Equations

part (a) is true. we can find 1-1 correspondence with rational numbers

But part (b) I know it is false. I need a counter example. Could you help me with that?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
sazanda said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following statements are true or false
a) Every pairwise disjoint family of open subsets of ℝ is countable.
b) Every pairwise disjoint family of closed subsets of ℝ is countable.

Homework Equations

part (a) is true. we can find 1-1 correspondence with rational numbers

But part (b) I know it is false. I need a counter example. Could you help me with that?

The Attempt at a Solution

You are probably thinking too hard. Think of sets consisting of a single element. Those are closed, yes?

Dick said:
You are probably thinking too hard. Think of sets consisting of a single element. Those are closed, yes?

Let me clarify myself.
let X be a collection of disjoint closed sets. Define X := { {x} such that x in ℝ }
{x}_1 is the one of the disjoint closed set.
{x}_2 is another disjoint closed set.
and so fourth
{x}_i is the another disjoint closed set
Since ℝ is uncountable X must be uncountable.

Is this what you mean?

the way you are listing the {x}_i, makes it look as if X is countable.

but in fact, |X| = |U(x in R){x}| = |R|, because we have a bijection from X to R:

{x}<---> x

Related to Uncountable family of disjoint closed sets

1. What is an uncountable family of disjoint closed sets?

An uncountable family of disjoint closed sets is a collection of infinitely many sets that are closed (meaning they contain all their limit points) and do not share any common elements. This means that for any two sets in the family, there is no element that belongs to both of them.

2. How does an uncountable family of disjoint closed sets differ from a countable family?

A countable family of disjoint closed sets also consists of infinitely many sets that are closed and disjoint, but the main difference is that the number of sets in a countable family is countable (meaning it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers), while the number of sets in an uncountable family is uncountable (meaning it cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers).

3. Can an uncountable family of disjoint closed sets have any limit points in common?

No, an uncountable family of disjoint closed sets cannot have any limit points in common. This is because if two sets in the family have a common limit point, then there must be an element that belongs to both sets, which would contradict the definition of disjoint sets.

4. How is an uncountable family of disjoint closed sets related to the concept of continuity?

An uncountable family of disjoint closed sets is closely related to the concept of continuity in mathematics. In particular, it is often used in the construction of continuous functions that map uncountable sets to uncountable sets. By using an uncountable family of disjoint closed sets, it is possible to construct such functions in a way that preserves certain properties, such as the order or topology, of the original sets.

5. Are there any real-world applications of an uncountable family of disjoint closed sets?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of an uncountable family of disjoint closed sets in various fields of mathematics and science. For example, they are used in topology to study the properties of continuous functions, in measure theory to define and analyze uncountable measures, and in set theory to explore the properties of uncountable sets. They can also be used in computer science and engineering to design algorithms and data structures that can handle uncountable data sets efficiently.