Uncertainty with a simple pendulum

In summary, a simple pendulum is used to measure the acceleration of gravity using T=2pi(sqrt(L/g)) . The period T was measured to be 1.24 ± 0.02 s and the length L to be 0.381 ± 0.002 m. What is the resulting value for g with its absolute and relative uncertainty?
aborder
A simple pendulum is used to measure the acceleration of gravity using T=2pi(sqrt(L/g)) . The period T was measured to be 1.24 ± 0.02 s and the length L to be 0.381 ± 0.002 m. What is the resulting value for g with its absolute and relative uncertainty?

So the first thing I did was to isolate g. But to actually calculate the uncertainty, I am completely lost here. I am using the book "Experimentation" by D.C. Baird and nothing is making sense here. Most likely it talks about it in the book, but I am having a hard time understanding this. If someone could explain how to calculate uncertainty for this, it would probably help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
aborder said:
A simple pendulum is used to measure the acceleration of gravity using T=2pi(sqrt(L/g)) . The period T was measured to be 1.24 ± 0.02 s and the length L to be 0.381 ± 0.002 m. What is the resulting value for g with its absolute and relative uncertainty?

So the first thing I did was to isolate g. But to actually calculate the uncertainty, I am completely lost here. I am using the book "Experimentation" by D.C. Baird and nothing is making sense here. Most likely it talks about it in the book, but I am having a hard time understanding this. If someone could explain how to calculate uncertainty for this, it would probably help. Thanks.

Once transformed, you will have found g proportional to L/T2

to find the absolute largest value, you want to multiply by as much as possible, and divide by as little as possible.
So you will sub the upper limit of L, and the lower limit of T to get the largest possible g

To get the lowest possible g, use smallest L and largest T.

You will already have calculated the expected g, you can thus work out the absolute uncertainty.

For relative error [is that percentage error?] you would multiply the percentage error in L by the square of the percentage error in T.

That makes sense to divide by the highest and multiply by the lowest to get the low end and vice versa. Using the method you described, I got 9.79 +/- 0.184. The answer in the book gives 9.77 +/-0.04 with a relative uncertainty of 0.4%.

The relative uncertainty is given by this:

Relative uncertainty = Absolute Uncertainty / Measured Value

aborder said:
That makes sense to divide by the highest and multiply by the lowest to get the low end and vice versa. Using the method you described, I got 9.79 +/- 0.184. The answer in the book gives 9.77 +/-0.04 with a relative uncertainty of 0.4%.

The relative uncertainty is given by this:

Relative uncertainty = Absolute Uncertainty / Measured Value

Firstly, my error. I should have said you add the percentage errors not multiply them - haven't used percentage errors for a while.

Period T 1.24 +-0.02 means an error of 2 in 124 = 1.6%
Length L = 0.381 +- 0.004 means an error of 4 in 381 = 1.05%

So total error = 1.6 + 1.6 + 1.05 = 4.25%

so 9.78 +- 4% or 9.78 +- .04

I [almost]agree with your numbers, and would express it as 9.78 +- 0.04 or 9.78 +- 4%
I wonder if you mis-read the book and they actually had +- 4% not +- 0.4%

Note: I can only get your 9.79 if I assume pi = 22/7. I can only get their 9.77 if I assume pi = 3.14. Given that my calculator gives pi to about 10 decimal places, I used them all to get 9.78.

PeterO said:
Firstly, my error. I should have said you add the percentage errors not multiply them - haven't used percentage errors for a while.

Period T 1.24 +-0.02 means an error of 2 in 124 = 1.6%
Length L = 0.381 +- 0.004 means an error of 4 in 381 = 1.05%

So total error = 1.6 + 1.6 + 1.05 = 4.25%

so 9.78 +- 4% or 9.78 +- .04

I [almost]agree with your numbers, and would express it as 9.78 +- 0.04 or 9.78 +- 4%
I wonder if you mis-read the book and they actually had +- 4% not +- 0.4%

Note: I can only get your 9.79 if I assume pi = 22/7. I can only get their 9.77 if I assume pi = 3.14. Given that my calculator gives pi to about 10 decimal places, I used them all to get 9.78.

No, I wish I did mis-read it. The value is +/- 0.4%. I asked my instructor last night and he didn't give me a reply. He wasn't at school today either. When I get an answer, I'll post it. Thanks for the help.

Related to Uncertainty with a simple pendulum

1. What is uncertainty in relation to a simple pendulum?

Uncertainty, also known as error or deviation, refers to the degree of inaccuracy or variability in a measurement or calculation. In the case of a simple pendulum, uncertainty can arise from factors such as human error, environmental conditions, or limitations of the measuring instruments.

2. How is uncertainty calculated in a simple pendulum experiment?

Uncertainty is typically calculated using the standard deviation formula, which takes into account the differences between individual measurements and the average value. This value can then be used to determine the range of possible values within which the true measurement is likely to fall.

3. What is the significance of uncertainty in a simple pendulum experiment?

Uncertainty is an important factor to consider in any scientific experiment, as it can affect the accuracy and reliability of the results. In the case of a simple pendulum, uncertainty can impact the determination of important variables such as the period or length of the pendulum, which in turn can affect the conclusions drawn from the experiment.

4. How can uncertainty be reduced in a simple pendulum experiment?

There are a few ways to reduce uncertainty in a simple pendulum experiment. One method is to take multiple measurements and calculate an average value, which can help to minimize the impact of any individual errors. Additionally, using more precise measuring instruments and controlling environmental factors can also help to reduce uncertainty.

5. What are some common sources of uncertainty in a simple pendulum experiment?

Some common sources of uncertainty in a simple pendulum experiment include human error in recording measurements or starting and stopping the pendulum, variations in the length or weight of the pendulum, and external factors such as air resistance or temperature. These sources of uncertainty should be carefully considered and controlled in order to obtain more accurate results.