Acceleration of gravity measured

In summary, a simple pendulum was used to measure the acceleration of gravity using the equation T= 2π√(l/g). The period was measured to be 1.24 +-0.02s and the length, l, to be 0.381 +-0.002m. After correcting an error in the calculation, the resulting value for g was found to be 0.197m/s^2. The absolute uncertainty for this value is 0.022 m/s^2, and the relative uncertainty will be determined based on the intended use of the result. It is important to use parentheses correctly when performing calculations to avoid errors.
Robb

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum is used to measure the acceleration of gravity using T= 2pi sqrt(l/g). The period was measured to be 1.24 +-0.02s and the length, l, to be 0.381 +-0.002m. What is the resulting value for g with it's absolute and relative uncertainty?

Homework Equations

T= 2pi sqrt(l/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

1.24= 2pi sqrt(.381/g)--------g=.381m/3.794m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Robb said:

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum is used to measure the acceleration of gravity using T= 2pi sqrt(l/g). The period was measured to be 1.24 +-0.02s and the length, l, to be 0.381 +-0.002m. What is the resulting value for g with it's absolute and relative uncertainty?

Homework Equations

T= 2pi sqrt(l/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

1.24= 2pi sqrt(.381/g)--------g=.381m/3.794m/s^2
You seem to have made an error in that calculation. Please post all your steps.
With regard to the error calculation, you need to show an attempt at that too.
There are two different ways of determining resultant error, and which is correct depends on what the answer will be used for. An engineer mostly takes 'worst case', i.e. the extreme possibilities of the result given the ranges of the input errors. In other environments, a more statistical approach is used, and the formula involves root-sum-square. Which have you been taught?

T= 2pi sqrt(l/g)
1.24= 2pi sqrt(.381/g)
(1.24/2pi)=sqrt(.381/g)
(1.24/2pi)^2=.381/g
g=.381/3.794
g=.100m/s^2

I assume the uncertainty to be 0.002+0.02=0.022. I believe the relative uncertainty would be determined after I have found the value for g.

Robb said:
T= 2pi sqrt(l/g)
1.24= 2pi sqrt(.381/g)
(1.24/2pi)=sqrt(.381/g)
(1.24/2pi)^2=.381/g
g=.381/3.794
g=.100m/s^2

I assume the uncertainty to be 0.002+0.02=0.022. I believe the relative uncertainty would be determined after I have found the value for g.
You've made a mistake in your arithmetic.

You have calculated [(1.24 / 2)*π]2 = 0.381 / g, rather than [1.24 / (2π)]2 = 0.381 / g

I guess I'm not sure the difference? They both are both equal: g=.381/3.794. Correct?

Robb said:
I guess I'm not sure the difference? They both are both equal: g=.381/3.794. Correct?
No, they don't.

(1.24 / 2) * π = 0.62 * π =1.95

1.24 / (2π) = 1.24 / (6.28) = 0.197

When you square each result, you get quite different numbers

You've got to learn how to use parentheses correctly in your arithmetic.

Wow! I guess I needed another set of parenthesis for the 2pi! Thanks so much for the help.

Robb said:
Wow! I guess I needed another set of parenthesis for the 2pi! Thanks so much for the help.
It makes quite a difference in the value of g calculated from this experiment.

Related to Acceleration of gravity measured

What is acceleration of gravity?

The acceleration of gravity, also known as gravitational acceleration, is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity. It is a constant value of approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is acceleration of gravity measured?

The acceleration of gravity can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a pendulum, dropping objects from a height, or using a device called an accelerometer. These methods use the principles of physics and motion to calculate the acceleration of gravity.

Does acceleration of gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, the acceleration of gravity can vary on different planets due to differences in mass, radius, and density. For example, the acceleration of gravity on Mars is approximately 3.7 m/s², while on Earth it is 9.8 m/s².

Why is the acceleration of gravity considered a constant value?

The acceleration of gravity is considered a constant value because it is independent of the mass or weight of the object falling. This means that all objects, regardless of their size or composition, will fall towards the Earth's surface at the same rate.

Can the acceleration of gravity change over time?

No, the acceleration of gravity is a constant value and does not change over time. However, it can vary slightly depending on factors such as altitude and latitude. Additionally, the effects of air resistance can also affect the measurement of acceleration of gravity.