Unbiased estimator for The exponential

• Thread starter srhjnmrg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining an unbiased estimator of σ^2, with a focus on the estimation process for σ. It is noted that the rate parameter estimate is 1/x(bar), and the mean, variance, and standard deviation are also mentioned. The usual maximum likelihood estimate of the mean is considered unbiased, and therefore so is the estimate of lambda.
srhjnmrg
Looking at obtaining the unbiased estimator of σ^2, i know how to do it for σ, to obtain
1/x(bar), was wondering how to obtain for σ^2, i guess you just don't square bot sides. It should tale the form of kƩ(x_i)^2.
many thanks any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to clarify what you are doing. Usually estimations are made for σ2 and σ is just the square root.

srhjnmrg said:
Looking at obtaining the unbiased estimator of σ^2, i know how to do it for σ, to obtain
1/x(bar), was wondering how to obtain for σ^2, i guess you just don't square bot sides. It should tale the form of kƩ(x_i)^2.
many thanks any help would be much appreciated.

Note, the rate parameter estimate is [itex]\hat \lambda = 1/\bar x[/itex]. The mean is therefore [itex]1/\lambda [/itex] and the variance is [itex]1/\lambda^2[/itex]. The standard deviation is not really defined for the exponential distribution because it is not symmetrical around the mean. The usual maximum likelihood estimate of the mean [itex]\bar x = (\sum_{i=1}^{i=n} x_i)/n[/itex] is unbiased, and therefore so is the estimate of lambda.

Last edited:

Related to Unbiased estimator for The exponential

1. What is an unbiased estimator for the exponential distribution?

An unbiased estimator for the exponential distribution is a statistical method used to estimate the true value of a population parameter (such as the mean or standard deviation) based on a sample of data. It is considered unbiased if, on average, it produces estimates that are equal to the true value of the population parameter.

2. How is an unbiased estimator for the exponential distribution calculated?

The unbiased estimator for the exponential distribution is calculated using the formula:
E(X) = n/Σxi
Where n is the sample size and Σxi is the sum of all values in the sample.

3. Why is it important to have an unbiased estimator for the exponential distribution?

Having an unbiased estimator for the exponential distribution is important because it allows us to make accurate inferences about the population parameters based on a sample of data. This helps us to understand the underlying distribution and make informed decisions.

4. How does the sample size affect the unbiased estimator for the exponential distribution?

The sample size has a direct impact on the unbiased estimator for the exponential distribution. As the sample size increases, the estimator becomes more accurate and tends to approach the true population parameter. A larger sample size reduces the sampling error and increases the precision of the estimator.

5. Are there any limitations to using an unbiased estimator for the exponential distribution?

While unbiased estimators are often desirable, they are not always feasible or practical to use. In some cases, other estimators may be more efficient or have lower variance. Additionally, unbiased estimators may be sensitive to outliers or assumptions about the underlying distribution.