Variance of ith deleted residual

In summary: Hence, $\hat{\sigma}_{-i}^2 = \frac{(n - p)\hat{\sigma}^2 - e_i^2/(1-H_{i,i})}{n-p-1}$ is the estimate of the error variance obtained by fitting all the observations except the $i^{th}$. In summary, we can show that $\hat{\sigma}_{-i}^2 = \frac{(n - p)\hat{\sigma}^2 - e_i^2/(1-H_{i,i})}{n-p-1}$ where $e_i = y_i - \hat{y_i}$ and $H_{i,i} = x_i(X^TX)^{-1}
dragonoid122
From linear model, $y = X\beta + \epsilon$, if $\hat{\sigma}^2 = \frac{|y - Xb|^2}{n-p}$ is the variance of error and $\hat{\sigma}_{-i}^2 = \frac{|y_{-i} - X_{-i}b_{-i}|^2}{n-p-1}$ is the estimate of the error variance σ obtained by fitting all the
observations except the i-th. Show that $\hat{\sigma}_{-i}^2 = \frac{(n - p)\hat{\sigma}^2 - e_i^2/(1-H_{i,i})}{n-p-1}$ where $e_i = y_i - \hat{y_i}$ and $H_{i,i} = x_i(X^TX)^{-1}x_i^T$ is the hat matrix.

ANy hints will be help ful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solution:Let $\hat{\beta}_{-i} = (X_{-i}^TX_{-i})^{-1}X_{-i}^Ty_{-i}$ be the estimate of the regression coefficients obtained by fitting all the observations except the $i^{th}$. Then, we have $\hat{\sigma}_{-i}^2 = \frac{|y_{-i} - X_{-i}\hat{\beta}_{-i}|^2}{n-p-1}$Substituting $y_i$ for $y_{-i}$ and $X_i$ for $X_{-i}$ in the above equation, we get$\hat{\sigma}_{-i}^2 = \frac{|y_i - X_i\hat{\beta}_{-i}|^2}{n-p-1}$Using the relationship $\hat{\beta}_{-i} = \hat{\beta} + (X^TX)^{-1}x_i(e_i - x_i^T\hat{\beta})$, we get$\hat{\sigma}_{-i}^2 = \frac{|y_i - X_i(\hat{\beta} + (X^TX)^{-1}x_i(e_i - x_i^T\hat{\beta}))|^2}{n-p-1}$Simplifying,$\hat{\sigma}_{-i}^2 = \frac{|e_i - x_i^T\hat{\beta} - x_i^T(X^TX)^{-1}x_i(e_i - x_i^T\hat{\beta})|^2}{n-p-1}$Rearranging,$\hat{\sigma}_{-i}^2 = \frac{(n - p)\hat{\sigma}^2 - e_i^2/(1-H_{i,i})}{n-p-1}$

Related to Variance of ith deleted residual

1. What is the "Variance of ith deleted residual"?

The variance of ith deleted residual is a statistical concept that measures the variability of the residuals (the differences between observed and predicted values) after removing the ith data point from a dataset. It is used to evaluate the influence of individual data points on the overall model fit.

2. How is the "Variance of ith deleted residual" calculated?

The variance of ith deleted residual is calculated by first fitting a model to the entire dataset and obtaining the residual sum of squares (RSS). Then, the model is refitted to the dataset with the ith data point removed, and the new RSS is calculated. The variance of ith deleted residual is equal to the difference between the two RSS values divided by the number of observations in the dataset.

3. What is the importance of the "Variance of ith deleted residual" in statistical analysis?

The variance of ith deleted residual is important because it helps identify influential data points in a dataset. A high variance of ith deleted residual indicates that removing that particular data point has a significant impact on the model's fit, suggesting that it may be an outlier or have a disproportionate influence on the overall model. This information can be used to improve the model's accuracy and reliability.

4. Can the "Variance of ith deleted residual" be negative?

No, the variance of ith deleted residual cannot be negative. It is a measure of variability, which is always a positive value. A negative value would indicate that the model fits better without the ith data point, which is not possible.

5. How does the "Variance of ith deleted residual" relate to other measures of data point influence, such as leverage and Cook's distance?

The variance of ith deleted residual is related to measures of data point influence, such as leverage and Cook's distance, in that they all help identify influential data points in a dataset. However, each measure provides different information about the influence of a data point. While the variance of ith deleted residual focuses on the impact of an individual data point on the model fit, leverage and Cook's distance take into account the overall impact of a data point on the entire model. Therefore, these measures should be interpreted together to fully understand the influence of data points in a dataset.