Unable to Start a Thread in Learning Materials forums.

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses issues with starting a thread in the Math & Science Learning Materials forums and the possibility that only staff can post in that section. The individual also mentions wanting to share a resource on guidelines for writing a scientific research article, which leads to a discussion on the varying styles and preferences in scientific papers. The conversation ends with a request for help on finding resources.
qspeechc
Hi.

I can't start a thread in any of the Math & Science Learning Materials forums. I get the message:

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

So what's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that only staff can post in the Learning Materials section. What were you wanting to post there?

A link to this, which gives guidelines for writing a scientific research article (from the biology department, but as far as I can tell, suitable for all science papers). I thought it was something many people might want to know, and I didn't know where else to put it.

Well, since no one is interested, let me continue. I was looking on the web specifically for rules on the style you should use in scientific papers.

For example, some sources say the methods and results must be in the passive voice, others say always use the active voice. Some say avoid the first person, rather use "this paper", "this study" etc. others say you must always use the first person.

I was hoping to make a thread where people can share resources on this sort of thing.
Can Anyone HELP!

I think it depends significantly on the area of science and the journal. The best idea is to check similar publications and the style guidelines of the journal.

Related to Unable to Start a Thread in Learning Materials forums.

1. How do I fix the "Unable to Start a Thread" error in Learning Materials forums?

This error usually occurs when the forum thread limit has been reached. To fix this, try deleting old threads or ask the forum administrator to increase the thread limit.

2. Why am I getting an "Unable to Start a Thread" error when I try to post in Learning Materials forums?

This error can occur if you are not logged in to the forum or if your account does not have the necessary permissions to start a new thread. Make sure you are logged in and check your account permissions.

3. Is there a limit to the number of threads I can start in Learning Materials forums?

Yes, there is usually a limit set by the forum administrator to prevent spam or overload on the forum. If you have reached this limit, try deleting old threads or ask the administrator to increase the limit.

4. Can I still participate in discussions if I am unable to start a thread in Learning Materials forums?

Yes, you can still participate in discussions by replying to existing threads. If you have an important topic to discuss, you can reach out to the forum administrator for assistance.

5. How can I contact the forum administrator if I am unable to start a thread in Learning Materials forums?

You can usually find the contact information for the forum administrator on the forum's homepage or in the forum rules. If not, you can try sending a private message to one of the moderators for assistance.