Unable to find generators of {G, Xn}

• Thread starter soopo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generators
In summary, the group {G, Xn} where G is the set containing the n - 1 residue classes modulo n excluding 0 has generators 3 and 5 when n = 7. The order of a group is the number of order of elements, and in this case, 3 and 5 have 7 different results from modulo 7. The Cayley table is useful in these calculations.
soopo

Homework Statement

Consider the group {G, Xn} where
G is the set containing the n - 1 residue
classes modulo n excluding 0.

Which members are generators of {G, Xn} when
n = 7?

The Attempt at a Solution

The right answers are 3 and 5.

I get 2 only.

My table of results

[tex]1: 1^1 = 1[/tex]
[tex]2: 2^1 = 2, 2^2 = 4, 2^3 = 4, 2^4 = 2[/tex]
[tex]3: 3^1 =3, 3^2 = 2, 3^3 = 4[/tex]
[tex]4: 4^1 =4, 4^2 = 2[/tex]
[tex]5: 5^1 = 5, 5^2 =4[/tex]
[tex]6: 6^1 = 6, 6^2 = 1[/tex]
[tex]7: 7^1 = 7, 7^2 = 7[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]2^3\neq4[/tex]

[tex]3^3\neq4[/tex]

Find [tex]3^4, 3^5,\dots[/tex] and [tex]5^3,5^4, 5^5,\dots[/tex]

(And 7=0.)

Billy Bob said:
[tex]2^3\neq4[/tex]

[tex]3^3\neq4[/tex]

I do not mean with 3^3 3 to the power of 3 only.
I mean with it 3^3 3 to the power of 3 modulo 7.

Billy Bob said:
[tex]
Find [tex]3^4, 3^5,\dots[/tex] and [tex]5^3,5^4, 5^5,\dots[/tex]

(And 7=0.)

I cannot find [tex]3^4[/tex].
There is no such number which is 3 times 3 times 3 times 3.
The only way to get that is when n = 9, that is for 9 times 9.

You do understand the operation is multiplication and reduction modulo 7. It doesn't make sense to say that 'there is no such number in the set that is 3^4 mod 7'. There is. 3^2 is 2 mod 7. 3^3 is 6 mod 7, and 3^4 is 4 mod 7.

matt grime said:
You do understand the operation is multiplication and reduction modulo 7. It doesn't make sense to say that 'there is no such number in the set that is 3^4 mod 7'. There is. 3^2 is 2 mod 7. 3^3 is 6 mod 7, and 3^4 is 4 mod 7.

I think I got it.

The order of a group is the number of order of elements.
For example, in this case,

2^1 = 1, 2^2 = 4, 2^3 = 1
However, the group already has the order 1 so we stop.

I get that 3 and 5 have 7 different results from modulo 7.
This means that the Cayley table is really useful here too, since I can use it repeatedly in the calculations.

Thank you for your answers!

Related to Unable to find generators of {G, Xn}

What does it mean when a generator cannot be found for a given group and set?

When we say that a generator cannot be found for a given group G and set Xn, it means that there is no element or combination of elements in G that, when operated on Xn, can produce all elements in Xn. In other words, there is no way to "generate" all elements in Xn using the elements of G.

Why is it important to find generators for a group and set?

Generators are important in understanding the structure and properties of a group. They can be used to generate all other elements in the group, and can also help to determine the size and complexity of a group. In addition, they are useful in solving problems and proving theorems related to the group.

What are some possible reasons for not being able to find generators for a group and set?

There are a few reasons why generators may not be found for a given group and set. One reason could be that the group and set are not compatible, meaning that the elements in the set cannot be generated by the elements in the group. Another reason could be that the group and set are too large or complex, making it difficult to find a suitable combination of elements to generate all elements in the set.

Can a group and set have more than one set of generators?

Yes, it is possible for a group and set to have more than one set of generators. In fact, there can be infinitely many sets of generators for a given group and set. However, some sets of generators may be more useful or efficient than others in generating all elements in the set.

Is it always necessary to find generators for a group and set?

No, it is not always necessary to find generators for a group and set. In some cases, the structure and properties of the group and set can be understood without explicitly finding generators. However, in many cases, finding generators can provide valuable insights and aid in solving problems related to the group and set.