Uhh help with this proof then x is prime .

• Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime Proof
In summary: if x is not divisible by any positive integer n satisfying 2≤n≤√x then x is a prime number? yes
charmedbeauty
uhh! help with this proof """" then x is prime""".

Homework Statement

For a positive integer x≥2.

"if x is not divisible by any positive integer n satisfying 2≤n≤√x then x is a prime number"

a) show that the above statement is true .

b) Is the statement still true if the condition on n is replaced by 2≤n<√x ??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well firstly I really have problems with proofs in general, but

x≥4

so x can be [4,5,6,7,...∞)

so by definition of prime number x--> x/x and x/1

but I really don't know how to approach this
I know its true because n= [2,3,4,5...∞)
and so the only numbers not possibly divisible by n are primes, Since n can be any positive integer ≥2, and Since x≠1.

But how do I put it in mathematical terms??
HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org

Try and prove the contrapositive. If x is NOT prime then there IS a positive integer satisfying 2≤n≤√x that divides x.

An integer x>1 is composite if there exists some number 1<n<x that divides n. The integer x is prime if not such number n exists. What this is this theorem is telling you is that you don't have to look at all integers between 2 and x-1 (inclusive). You only need to look at those between 2 and √x (inclusive).

Hint: Suppose n is an integer that divides x. In other words, m=x/n is an integer. What can you say about m if √xn<x?

D H said:
An integer x>1 is composite if there exists some number 1<n<x that divides n. The integer x is prime if not such number n exists. What this is this theorem is telling you is that you don't have to look at all integers between 2 and x-1 (inclusive). You only need to look at those between 2 and √x (inclusive).

Hint: Suppose n is an integer that divides x. In other words, m=x/n is an integer. What can you say about m if √xn<x?

Well mn=x so x is not a prime if this condition is satisfied.

and m can be any positive integer >1 since m=x/n which is greater than 1 since n<x, and n,x are positive integers.

But I don't really understand when exactly this condition satisfies, namely, mn=x, Since to me mn could be less than, equal, or greater than x.

Since m>1 and n<x. There are values of x,m,n that satisfy all three conditions ie, <,=,>.

charmedbeauty said:
Well mn=x so x is not a prime if this condition is satisfied.

and m can be any positive integer >1 since m=x/n which is greater than 1 since n<x, and n,x are positive integers.

But I don't really understand when exactly this condition satisfies, namely, mn=x, Since to me mn could be less than, equal, or greater than x.

Since m>1 and n<x. There are values of x,m,n that satisfy all three conditions ie, <,=,>.

On second thoughts m>x so since n≥2 then mn>x.

So I think this tells me that if x does not divide some n≥2 then x is not prime?? Although I think for this to be true I need the eqn to be mn=x? I am confused.

charmedbeauty said:
On second thoughts m>x so since n≥2 then mn>x.

So I think this tells me that if x does not divide some n≥2 then x is not prime??
Surely this is not what you meant to say? Any x, prime or not, divides 2x, for example.

It is true that if x is not divisible by some [itex]n\ge 2[/itex] (except x itself) then x is prime.

Although I think for this to be true I need the eqn to be mn=x? I am confused.

If x= mn and [itex]m>\sqrt{x}[/itex], what can you say about n?

As for "b) Is the statement still true if the condition on n is replaced by 2≤n<√x ??",
consider x= 9.

HallsofIvy said:
If x= mn and [itex]m>\sqrt{x}[/itex], what can you say about n?

As for "b) Is the statement still true if the condition on n is replaced by 2≤n<√x ??",
consider x= 9.

if x=mn and m>√x

then all I can say from this statement is that mn is > √x. And that n is <√x, Since mn=x. I'm still really lost?

Last edited:

charmedbeauty said:
And that n is <√x, Since mn=x.

If x is composite, we can factor it as x=mn we have two possibilities
1) m< √x
2) n< √x

In both cases, we see that if x is composite, it is divisible by a number which is no larger than √x, which is exactly what you wanted to prove (after you change some strict inequalities to weak inequalities)

Office_Shredder said:
If x is composite, we can factor it as x=mn we have two possibilities
1) m< √x
2) n< √x

In both cases, we see that if x is composite, it is divisible by a number which is no larger than √x, which is exactly what you wanted to prove (after you change some strict inequalities to weak inequalities)

Ok thanks Office Shredder and others that helped...

so does this proof look correct now.

given ---> 2≤n≤√x and x≥2

So n≥2 from above inequality.

Suppose x is not prime, then, by definition of a prime

m = x/n for some integers m and x,n both≥2

hence, x=mn

Now either n< √x or m<√x or m=√x iff n=√x

In either case x/m or x/n

But if x is prime, by definition, x cannot divide m or n where m,n≥2

Hence m is prime iff x does not divide n where 2≤n≤√x

proof finished.

and for part b)

let x=9

therefore, 2≤n<3

Now x is prime iff x does not divide n for some integer n satisfying above inequality.

but 9 does not divide 2 and when x =9, n must =2 (satisfying the above inequality).

Hence x is prime. Contradiction. 9 is not prime. Therefore above inequality does not hold.

Last edited:

charmedbeauty said:
and for part b)

let x=9

therefore, 2≤n<3

Now x is prime iff x does not divide n for some integer n satisfying above inequality.

but 9 does not divide 2 and when x =9, n must =2 (satisfying the above inequality).

Hence x is prime. Contradiction. 9 is not prime. Therefore above inequality does not hold.
I have no idea what you are trying to do. All you need to note is that 9 is not prime and [itex]\sqrt{9}=3[/itex]. "[itex]2\le x< \sqrt{9}= 3[/itex]" is true only for x= 2 and 2 does not divide 9. End of counter example.

HallsofIvy said:
I have no idea what you are trying to do. All you need to note is that 9 is not prime and [itex]\sqrt{9}=3[/itex]. "[itex]2\le x< \sqrt{9}= 3[/itex]" is true only for x= 2 and 2 does not divide 9. End of counter example.

Ok thanks, undestood!

Related to Uhh help with this proof then x is prime .

What does "Uhh help with this proof then x is prime" mean?

"Uhh help with this proof then x is prime" is a statement that indicates someone is seeking assistance in proving that a number x is a prime number. A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself.

How do you prove that a number is prime?

The most common method of proving that a number is prime is by using a proof by contradiction. This involves assuming that the number is not prime and then using logical reasoning to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. If a contradiction is reached, then the original assumption must be false, meaning that the number is indeed prime.

What is the significance of proving a number is prime?

Proving a number is prime is important in number theory and mathematics in general. Prime numbers are the building blocks of all other positive integers and have many applications in fields such as cryptography and computer science.

What are some common strategies for proving a number is prime?

Aside from proof by contradiction, other strategies for proving a number is prime include using divisibility rules, checking for patterns in the number's factors, and using the Sieve of Eratosthenes method.

Can all numbers be proven to be prime or not prime?

No, there are some numbers that are currently considered to be "probable primes" due to their large size and complexity. These numbers have not been definitively proven to be prime, but have been extensively tested and are highly likely to be prime. However, for smaller numbers, it is possible to prove whether they are prime or not.