UC Davis or UC san diego for chemical engineering?

In summary: UCSD.In summary, UC Irvine seems to have a stronger research program, while UCSD has a better undergraduate reputation.
vincent_vega
I'm about to transfer out of a community college, and so far I got accepted to these two. I'm still waiting on Berkeley, but if I don't get in which of these two would be better if I want to go on to a phd program after undergrad? does it even matter? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Judging by website alone, UC Irvine seems to have something a little more put together than UCSD. UCSD only seems to have a Nanoengineering program and not a real Chem E group.

You can check their department brochure here:

https://webfiles.uci.edu/hdn/UCI_ChEMS_Brochure.pdf

Thanks, but I said uc davis :p

All I know is that san diego is ranked around 18th and davis is 30th. Is that in issue for grad school later on?

If the ranking doesn't matter then I prefer Davis because it's only 1.5 hours away from my house. San Diego is like 9.

But if the difference in rank is significant, then UCSD it is.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you are looking at the USnews rankings? I seriously doubt it would be an issue for graduate admissions. I think when graduate schools gauge school quality they look at the school's undergraduate reputation overall rather than at the school's research reputation in said field. Looking at the USnews rankings for chemical engineering Harvard isn't in the top ten and Uminnesota - Twin Cities is #4 but it would be ridiculous to give an applicant from UM an edge over someone from Harvard. Plenty of fantastic undergraduate schools don't even HAVE graduate science programs yet I can assure you a degree from Harvey Mudd is far from worthless. :)

All things considered both schools have a good academic reputation, I wouldn't worry about small academic differences in quality as is perceived by a news magazine. I'm sure graduate schools don't either.

Last edited:
^ Thanks for all the info. I just got into berkeley though so my decision has been made easier. It's probably going to be harder to get a research spot though

Related to UC Davis or UC san diego for chemical engineering?

1. Which university has a stronger chemical engineering program?

Both UC Davis and UC San Diego have highly reputable chemical engineering programs. UC San Diego is ranked slightly higher in the field of chemical engineering, but both schools offer a rigorous and comprehensive curriculum.

2. What are the research opportunities like for chemical engineering students at UC Davis and UC San Diego?

Both universities have strong research programs in chemical engineering, with opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to work alongside faculty on cutting-edge projects. UC San Diego is known for its extensive research in the areas of nanotechnology and biomolecular engineering, while UC Davis has a strong focus on sustainable energy and environmental engineering.

3. What is the student-to-faculty ratio in the chemical engineering department at UC Davis and UC San Diego?

The student-to-faculty ratio in the chemical engineering department at UC Davis is 19:1 and at UC San Diego it is 22:1. This means that students at both universities can expect to receive personalized attention and support from their professors.

4. Are there any notable alumni from the chemical engineering programs at UC Davis and UC San Diego?

Both universities have produced successful alumni in the field of chemical engineering. Some notable alumni from UC Davis include Nobel laureate and chemist William Giauque, and CEO of Chevron Corporation John Watson. UC San Diego alumni include Nobel laureate and chemist Mario Molina, and CEO of Qualcomm Paul Jacobs.

5. What is the campus and student life like at UC Davis and UC San Diego?

UC Davis and UC San Diego both have beautiful campuses with a strong sense of community. UC Davis is known for its focus on agriculture and sustainability, while UC San Diego has a strong emphasis on science and technology. Both universities offer a variety of extracurricular activities, clubs, and opportunities for students to get involved and make connections with their peers.