UBC graduate physics: PhD/ MSc

In summary, the conversation is about the requirements for graduate studies in theoretical physics at UBC and other North American schools. The website for UBC states that they do not require the GRE for physics applications and that funding is guaranteed for both masters and PhD students. The individual is wondering if they should apply directly for a PhD or do an MSc first and transfer to a PhD later. They are also seeking advice on other schools that do not require the GRE.
Andy32
Just wanted to know if anybody has done graduate theory at UBC or applied / has any info that might be useful. It seems from the website that they do not require GRE for physics applications, unlike many other Canadian departments. I haven't done the GRE and it is too late to register/ do it where I am (London). Is it true you don't need it or is that a misleading technicality?

I already have an MSc (QFFF Imperial) so would ideally not want to do another masters but it says that unless you can directly arrange a supervisor you need to apply for the MSc and then transfer to PhD in the first year. If I do this, will I still be able to secure funding for that year? It seems that the financial support at UBC is excellent for grad studies, they say on their site that they want to support anybody who is capable and believe that nobody should be held back because of financial reasons. I wonder how far this stretches? i.e. do they support masters too?

Also, any other good schools for theoretical physics (strings/susy) in North America that don't require GRE? (I know that most do)

If anybody can give me some advice on this I would be very greatful indeed. Thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops sorry! I just realized it actually says on the website that funding is guaranteed for masters students as well. They even give a table detailing this!

Still, if anybody has personal experience of the programs and could advise as to whether to apply direct for PhD or MSc first I would be very greatful, e.g. how likely is it to get transferred to the PhD, is this something you can count on (provided you do at least quite well in the MSc exams?)

Related to UBC graduate physics: PhD/ MSc

1. What is the difference between a PhD and MSc in graduate physics at UBC?

The main difference between a PhD and MSc in graduate physics at UBC is the depth and scope of research. A PhD program typically takes longer to complete and involves a more extensive research project, while an MSc program is shorter and has a smaller research component. In terms of career opportunities, a PhD is more suited for those interested in pursuing academic or research positions, while an MSc may be more suitable for those looking for industry or government jobs.

2. What are the admission requirements for UBC's graduate physics programs?

The admission requirements for UBC's graduate physics programs vary depending on the specific program and department. In general, applicants must have a Bachelor's degree in a related field with a minimum GPA of 3.0. They must also submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require GRE scores and a writing sample.

3. Can I transfer from the MSc program to the PhD program at UBC?

It is possible to transfer from the MSc program to the PhD program at UBC, but it is not guaranteed. Students must meet certain academic requirements and obtain the approval of their supervisor and the graduate program advisor. It is important to discuss potential transfer options with your supervisor and program advisor early on in your studies.

4. What research opportunities are available for graduate students in UBC's physics department?

UBC's physics department offers a wide range of research opportunities for graduate students, including experimental and theoretical work in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, condensed matter physics, and quantum information. Students also have the opportunity to work with world-renowned faculty on cutting-edge research projects and have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate degree in physics at UBC?

The time it takes to complete a graduate degree in physics at UBC can vary depending on the program and individual circumstances. On average, a PhD program takes 4-6 years to complete, while an MSc program takes 2-3 years. Factors such as research progress, teaching assistant duties, and external commitments can impact the length of time it takes to complete a degree.