{u1, ,uk} is linearly dependent iff {[u1]_B, [uk]B} is.

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving a vector space V and its basis B, and the linear dependence of a group of vectors in V. It is stated that proving (A if and only if B) is equivalent to proving (-A if and only if -B).
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

Given a vector space V and its basis B = {v1, v2, ..., vn}, I was asked to prove that:
a group of vectors {u1,...,uk} in V is linearly dependent if and only if {[u1]B,...[uk]B} is linearly dependent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved that a group of vectors {u1,...,uk} in V is linearly independent if and only if {[u1]B,...[uk]B} is linearly independent. Following the principles of logic, that would be the same as proving dependence, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, and it is an easy one-liner to prove it instead of just declare it.

So, in general, proving (A if and only if B) is equivalent to, and hence may be proven by, proving (-A if and only if -B), correct?

peripatein said:
So, in general, proving (A if and only if B) is equivalent to, and hence may be proven by, proving (-A if and only if -B), correct?

Yes. But declaring it doesn't make it so. If I were handing in a homework proof of A iff B and I instead handed in a proof that -A iff -B, I wouldn't just stop there even though you might consider the conclusion to be trivial from there.

Related to {u1, ,uk} is linearly dependent iff {[u1]_B, [uk]B} is.

1. What does it mean for a set of vectors to be linearly dependent?

Linear dependence refers to the situation where one or more vectors in a set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. In other words, one or more vectors in the set are redundant and do not add any new information or direction to the set.

2. What is the difference between linear dependence and linear independence?

Linear independence refers to the situation where none of the vectors in a set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. This means that each vector in the set contributes a unique direction to the set. In contrast, linear dependence means that at least one vector in the set is redundant.

3. How can I determine if a set of vectors is linearly dependent?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly dependent, you can perform row operations on the matrix formed by the vectors. If the resulting matrix has a row of zeros, then the vectors are linearly dependent. Another way is to check if the determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors is equal to 0; if it is, then the vectors are linearly dependent.

4. What is the significance of a set being linearly dependent?

A set being linearly dependent means that the vectors in the set are not all necessary to span the entire vector space. This can lead to issues in solving systems of equations or performing other mathematical operations. It also means that the set does not have a basis, which is a fundamental concept in linear algebra.

5. How is linear dependence related to change of basis?

In linear algebra, change of basis refers to transforming a vector from one coordinate system to another. The statement "{u1, ,uk} is linearly dependent iff {[u1]_B, [uk]B} is" means that the linear dependence of a set of vectors is preserved under change of basis. In other words, if a set of vectors is linearly dependent in one basis, it will also be linearly dependent in any other basis.