U substitution. Why -1/x^2 is my du?

In summary: Right, -((3+1/x)^4/4) + c. If you are wondering why it didn't TeX, don't use the shortcut superscripts and stuff inside Tex. Use ^ to get superscripts.
PauloE

Homework Statement

∫(1/x^(2))(3+1/x)^(3)

Homework Equations

U substitution is the way to go here

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I can't figure my du and what is next. I know which one it is but I don't know the reason for it.

u=3+1/x
du= I chose ln|x| first but that got me nowhere. My buddy told me (txt) me it is -1/x^(2) which eventually takes you to -(u)^4/4 but i can't figure out what happened in between.

thanks for the hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
BTW i just need someone to explain me how to choose du. I'm fine after that

PauloE said:

Homework Statement

∫(1/x^(2))(3+1/x)^(3)

Homework Equations

U substitution is the way to go here

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that I can't figure my du and what is next. I know which one it is but I don't know the reason for it.

u=3+1/x
du= I chose ln|x| first but that got me nowhere. My buddy told me (txt) me it is -1/x^(2) which eventually takes you to -(u)^4/4 but i can't figure out what happened in between.

thanks for the hand.
(Use the superscript, X2, icon for exponents.)
First of all, it's a big help to include the dx with your integral:

(1/x2)(3+1/x)3 dx

It can look even better in LaTeX .

## \displaystyle
\int \frac{1}{x^2}\left(3+\frac{1}{x}\right)^3\, dx
##

What is the derivative of ## \displaystyle \left(3+\frac{1}{x}\right)^3 \ ?##

(That won't give the answer directly, but it may lead you to it.)

Likes 1 person
alright, with the chain rule I get 3(3+1/x)^2*-1/x^2

-1/x^2 would be my du then. (I was deriving it wrong before) so now that I have this minus sign I put it outside the Integrate sign. after that I'm good. Thanks!

So if instead of a -1 i would have a 3 do I deal with it as if it were k and put it outside of the integral?

BTW I've just downloaded LaTex

PauloE said:

-1/x^2 would be my du then. (I was deriving it wrong before) so now that I have this minus sign I put it outside the Integrate sign. after that I'm good. Thanks!

So if instead of a -1 i would have a 3 do I deal with it as if it were k and put it outside of the integral?

You can always move a constant outside of an integral. And you didn't need to download LaTex. It's built into this site. Try looking here https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

Likes 1 person
[itex]∫(1/x^2)(3+1/x)^3[\itex] test

PauloE said:
[itex]∫(1/x^2)(3+1/x)^3[\itex] test

[itex]∫(1/x^2)(3+1/x)^3[/itex] The slash in front of \itex is in the wrong direction. It should be /itex.

Likes 1 person
PauloE said:

So if instead of a -1 I would have a 3 do I deal with it as if it were k and put it outside of the integral?

You don't seem to like dx !

du would be -1/x2dx , multiplied by some constant.

Since you end up with (3+1/x)2 , and you need (3+1/x)^3, you must need to start with a different power on the (3 + 1/x) factor.

Likes 1 person
SammyS said:
You don't seem to like dx !

du would be -1/x2dx , multiplied by some constant.

Since you end up with (3+1/x)2 , and you need (3+1/x)^3, you must need to start with a different power on the (3 + 1/x) factor.

true, I have to pay more attention with writing dx

My final answer is:

[itex]-((3+1/x)4/4) + c[/itex]

thanks for the help!

PauloE said:

My final answer is:

thanks for the help!
You can't mix LaTeX with the <sup> tags. Here's what you wrote, fixed.
##-((3 + 1/x)^4/4) + C##

My LaTeX script looks like this:
-((3 + 1/x)^4/4) + C

Likes 1 person
PauloE said:

My final answer is:

thanks for the help!

Right, [itex]-((3+1/x)^4/4) + c[/itex]. If you are wondering why it didn't TeX, don't use the shortcut superscripts and stuff inside Tex. Use ^ to get superscripts.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
[itex]-((3 + 1/x)^4/4) + C[/itex] let's see now

Thank y'all for the help

Related to U substitution. Why -1/x^2 is my du?

1. What is "U substitution"?

U substitution is a method used in calculus to simplify integrals involving functions with complex arguments. It involves substituting a new variable, u, for the original variable in the integral, which allows for easier integration.

2. Why do we use U substitution?

U substitution is used to simplify integrals and make them easier to solve. It also allows us to evaluate integrals that would otherwise be impossible to solve using traditional methods.

3. How do I know when to use U substitution?

U substitution is typically used when the integrand (the function inside the integral) contains a function within a function, such as f(g(x)). It can also be used when the integrand contains a product of two functions, f(x) * g(x).

4. Why is -1/x^2 my du in U substitution?

In U substitution, we choose the new variable, u, in a way that simplifies the integral. The value of du is determined by taking the derivative of u with respect to the original variable. So in this case, -1/x^2 is the derivative of u = 1/x.

5. What do I do with the remaining terms after using U substitution?

After substituting u into the integral and finding the value of du, you can rewrite the remaining terms in the integral in terms of u. This will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve using traditional methods.