U.S. Solar Eclipse of Aug. 21, 2017

In summary, the 2017 solar eclipse will be visible across the width of the entire United States. The points of Greatest Eclipse and Greatest Duration are going to occur on opposite sides of the Kentucky-Illinois border.
Weird. I wonder if this is what they call the "quiet before the storm".
The roads are basically clear to all "eclipse destination" points in Oregon.

Live road conditions in Oregon

2017.08.18.weird.not.an.epocalypse.traffic.png

Spent the day disassembling my telescope, trying to determine if I could fix it.
After determining that the 9 volt supply was making it to the "guts", I saw the printed circuit board was all surface mount, and said; [Expletives deleted]
I do plan on taking it though, in the hopes that those stupid stinkin' hippies, with all their "LASER" lights, don't cause too much light pollution the night before.
And their "LASER" lights might make for an interesting composition against the backdrop of the milky way.
They are only 13 miles away, and due south of my intended position.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Stavros Kiri said:
If you're traveling wearing them ... you won't get very far! ...
Depends on who's steering, methinks...

Likes dlgoff and Stavros Kiri
Blank_Stare said:
Depends on who's steering, methinks...
... and whether he/she is wearing it too or not

Stavros Kiri said:
I hope you're still joking

Well, aren't we both?

(I thought it was obvious that it "depending on who was steering" implied that wearing/not wearing the glasses was part of the concept... Trust me, I am as AR as the next guy - more so than many - I'd like to think I included you in good company. Anyway, just having fun, no harm intended.)

Blank_Stare said:
Well, aren't we both?
Of course. Your replies were smart and funny. (I just had to make sure about the previous one.)
We're all getting cheered up, fired up and excited about the eclipse ... :smile::micoscope:

I do not watch any tv, so I do not keep up with current events. I only found about the solar eclipse from my boss that is taking a trip to Idaho to go see it.

My question is the following:

I will start school on Monday. I live in Southern California. I will be at school from 8am to 5pm. Should I go buy some protection? I do not plan to look at the eclipse (not that interested). I will be walking on campus, and my campus is located on a hill.

MidgetDwarf said:
I do not watch any tv, so I do not keep up with current events. I only found about the solar eclipse from my boss that is taking a trip to Idaho to go see it.

My question is the following:

I will start school on Monday. I live in Southern California. I will be at school from 8am to 5pm. Should I go buy some protection? I do not plan to look at the eclipse (not that interested). I will be walking on campus, and my campus is located on a hill.
Unless you are planning at looking at the Sun, no. The protective glasses are just so that you can directly watch the eclipse during its partial phase without damaging your eyes. There is no more danger from an eclipse that there is at any other time. (other than the fact that it impels the curious to stare at the Sun.)

Likes davenn and Stavros Kiri
In case it hasn't been mentioned before (I didn't read ALL those previous posts!)

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

About half way down the page under "Additional Safety information":

"Viewing with Protection -- Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is welders glass of sufficiently high number. The only ones that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher"

MidgetDwarf said:

See post #201 in this thread for a safe alternative to glasses for you and your classmates.

Eclipse mania has even affected the cheesy TV commercials of car dealers in the area.

solarselldown.jpg

Still eerily quiet here, traffic-wise:

2017.08.19.eclipse.still.eerily.quiet.png

(about an hour ago)

Guessing either the carpocalypse scared everyone away, or there aren't as many "campers" in Oregon as I thought.

On a sad note, 400 homes were ordered to evacuate yesterday from a small town on the edge of totality, due to a fire:

http://www.opb.org/news/article/sisters-milli-fire-evacuation-level-3-leave-now/
Residents of more than 400 homes in a prime eclipse-viewing location in Oregon were ordered to evacuate Friday because of a rapidly growing wildfire that had already closed access to a portion of a wilderness area and a regional highway.

Stupid fires...

2017.08.19.fires.png

Not sure if the smoke is going to be a problem:

2017.08.19.smoke.png

Images courtesy of earth.nullschool.net

I'm going to be wearing one of my PF tee-shirts.
flippedmirrorPF.jpg

Likes davenn, Stavros Kiri, OmCheeto and 2 others
dlgoff said:
I'm going to be wearing one of my PF tee-shirts.
View attachment 209322
I was planning on doing the same. :oldtongue:

Likes dlgoff and Stavros Kiri
More eclipse mania. I went to a stamp show in Columbia today:

eclipse-before.jpg

After holding my thumb on the stamp to warm it up a bit:

eclipse-after.jpg

Likes Blank_Stare, Stavros Kiri and OmCheeto
Borg said:
I was planning on doing the same. :oldtongue:
Just planning? ...

Time again to see the current sun's activity (while everyone is getting ready and preparing for the eclipse tomorrow). Currently there is still a spot group, region 2671 (significant) and (coincidence or no) there was a new big solar flare last night [today is Sun Aug 20, 2017], from a new spot group, rotating now into view, which will get the name 2672 by tomorrow (eclipse day! - now that's coincidence!). More details for all coming up on my next post.

Here is why looking at the activity (together with the eclipse) is important:
1. Watch this short and concise NASA's eclipse history review video:

2. See
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/u-s-solar-eclipse-of-aug-21-2017.866521/page-10#post-5817925
(and useful links there)
3. As @russ_watters pointed out
russ_watters said:
Oh, awesome - this will help with focus and give something else to look at during partial.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...17-nice-spot-group.919696/page-2#post-5823041

So in focussing your instruments for the eclipse (cameras, telescopes, binoculars ... with sun filters of course), first take your chance with focussing on the current sun spot group (region 2671). It will be sectacular and useful.

Imagine if there was another big solar flare tomorrow during the eclipse [totality :oldsurprised:]?
There is actually a new promising spot group (getting the name 2672) rotating into view to the Earth by tomorrow! (See next post) Wow! May be we are lucky after all! ...

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and dlgoff
Here is the promised review on the current solar activity, one day before the eclipse:
A)
" Sunspot regions

On this page you'll find an overview of all the visible sunspot regions on the Sun together with their properties, images and the chances on solar flares or proton events. This page is updated daily and the sunspot images every hour.

SDO_HMIIF_512.jpg

Region 2671
Number of
sunspots
Size Class Magn. Class Spot Location
23 -8 360 -50 FKC N12E01
2671_HMIIF.jpg
2671_HMIBC.jpg

Flare probabilities
C M X Proton
55% 10% 1% 1%
Solar flares from today
C1.8 C2.9
Current data suggest that it is not possible to see aurora now at middle latitudes
Active geomagnetic conditions expected
The solar wind speed is currently moderately high (696.7 km/sec.)
Latest news
295-thumb.jpg

Sunday, 20 August 2017 - 07:31 UTC
M1.2 solar flare, C7.0 solar flare
More news
Today's space weather
Auroral activity Minor Severe
High latitude 30% 50%
Middle latitude 10% 1%
Predicted Kp max 5
Aurora forecast HelpMore data
Solar activity
M-class solar flare 15%
X-class solar flare 1%
M1.1 C1.8 B6.6 C2.9
Sunspot regionsMore data
Moon phase
Waning Crescent
Moon Phases Calendar"

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/sunspot-regionsB)
"M1.2 solar flare, C7.0 solar flare
Sunday, 20 August 2017 - 07:31 UTC

295-header.jpg

A new sunspot region is now rotating into view of the north-east limb. It should receive sunspot number 2672 later today or tomorrow. This could be yet another sunspot region with potential to produce strong solar flares as it made itself known this night with an M1.2 solar flare that peaked at 01:52 UTC. "
https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/news/view/295/20170820-m12-solar-flare-c70-solar-flare

Last edited:
Borg said:
I've been waiting for this for a long time and it's just a little more than a year away now. This will be the opportunity of a lifetime for people in the U.S. The 2017 solar eclipse will be visible across the width of the entire U.S! The points of Greatest Eclipse and Greatest Duration are going to occur on opposite sides of the Kentucky - Illinois border.

View attachment 98945

I plan on driving from northern Virginia to wherever has the best forecast for clear skies. Anyone else plan on driving to the total eclipse zone?
have fun. ohh i wish that i am in the U.S!

Just made it to Lincoln city. Traffic was light. Won't be able to check into hotel until later, but found a spot in public parking. Wispy high clouds right now. Hope this holds for tomorrow. Also just called hotel was able to book another night at the regular rate. That way we don't have to fight the traffic tomorrow.

Last edited:
Likes davenn, russ_watters and OmCheeto
Likes Stavros Kiri
tony873004 said:
im posting pics on my twitter account
@tony873004
Are you spelling Madras wrong on purpose? :biggrin:

ps. My friends Kurt and Mary have been there since yesterday. Kurt's pictures look just like yours, except, without the balloons.
pps. I should be driving by in about 3 hours. :angel:

Good luck to everyone joining the traffic.

OmCheeto said:
Are you spelling Madras wrong on purpose? :biggrin:

ps. My friends Kurt and Mary have been there since yesterday. Kurt's pictures look just like yours, except, without the balloons.
pps. I should be driving by in about 3 hours. :angel:
im not very good @typing on a phone, and twitter has no edit. r u coming to madras?

tony873004 said:
im not very good @typing on a phone, and twitter has no edit. r u coming to madras?
Mitchell. It's an extra 75 miles to the east.

Should be leaving any minute now...

Doh! The truck is packed, and I forgot to make my reservations.
I knew I'd forget something.

Thank you!

I saw solar glasses on sale for like $30. So I built a pinhole camera for my wife and I. We watched some cool clouds float across the sun to test it. I made hers longer for higher zoom, this is the short one.

Attachments

• IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 452
Any of you folks at your destination yet ? How're the crowds ?

Question:

If I use my iPhone camera to watch the eclipse, will that damage it?

Observer said:
Question:

I'd say the chances are really high, that it will destroy this function. And likely the function of your eyes, too.

What do people find about an eclipse? Watch it on TV or download pictures on the internet, same thing. At least it won't put one's eyesight or optical devices at risk. Certainly not worth to become blind.

jim hardy said:
No crowds in KY. Still vacancies at the campground.

But it just clouded up an hour ago. [emoji36]

jim hardy said:
I just checked into my hotel. Crowds and traffic have been light for the weekend at the coast. The gal at check-in said it has been dead all weekend. Blamed all the news reports warning people on how bad it would be. Of course, if they report on the lack of crowds, things could change tomorrow.

fresh_42 said:
I'd say the chances are really high, that it will destroy this function. And likely the function of your eyes, too.

What do people find about an eclipse? Watch it on TV or download pictures on the internet, same thing. At least it won't put one's eyesight or optical devices at risk. Certainly not worth to become blind.

I'm pretty sure my phone isn't transparent to UV light. Is there anyone who knows what a digital camera is who could answer my question:

Observer said:
Question: