U.S. Naval Research Lab develops transparent aluminum

In summary: This is not aluminum at all. It is a ceramic compound. Very neat but still, not aluminum.This is not aluminum at all. It is a ceramic compound. Very neat but still, not aluminum.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
All the scifi geeks will get this

yet again scifi becomes reality

http://www.bdcnetwork.com/us-naval-...ransparent-aluminum?eid=223056823&bid=1229250

just a little hint :wink:

...Transparent aluminum ? ...
that's the ticket laddie ...
it would take year just to figure out the dynamics of this matrix ...
yes, but you would be rich beyond the dreams of Everest ...
now is that worth something to you, or should I just push clear ?decided to put this in here rather than engineeringcheers
Dave

Likes Borg
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sometimes I think that science fiction is the engine that drives science. :wideeyed:

Borg said:
Sometimes I think that science fiction is the engine that drives science. :wideeyed:

uh huh ... I suspect much truth in that statement

Dave, your title is very misleading. This is not aluminum at all. It is a ceramic compound. Very neat but still, not aluminum.

phinds said:
Dave, your title is very misleading. This is not aluminum at all. It is a ceramic compound. Very neat but still, not aluminum.
... so no one will be abduct some whales.

I like to think of sapphire as transparent aluminum.

Likes billy_joule
jackwhirl said:
Why would you like to think something that obviously isn't true?

phinds said:
Isn't sapphire just rusty aluminium? ##Al_2O_3##

Likes billy_joule and jackwhirl
phinds said:
Because I enjoyed Star Trek IV as a child, it pleases me to utilize a definition less stringent than yours. Why should I not?

Likes davenn
jackwhirl said:
Because I enjoyed Star Trek IV as a child, it pleases me to utilize a definition less stringent than yours. Why should I not?
Ah. Poetic license. OK.

Likes davenn
jackwhirl said:

That's rather odd. I can understand if you say "aluminum OXIDE". But saying that it is the same as aluminum is like saying that common table salt is sodium. Would you swallow sodium?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
That's rather odd. I can understand if you say "aluminum OXIDE". But saying that it is the same as aluminum is like saying that common table salt is sodium. Would you swallow sodium?

Zz.
I would swallow hydrogen oxide rather than hydrogen chloride!

fresh_42 said:

Well, good for you, but that really wasn't my question, was it? I'm sure there are infinite number of things you'd rather swallow instead of something else.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I don't think that is a particularly fair comparison. Sapphire has properties like the fictional transparent aluminum and is made out of aluminum. Elemental sodium has properties that make it very much not like table salt.

jackwhirl said:
I don't think that is a particularly fair comparison. Sapphire has properties like the fictional transparent aluminum and is made out of aluminum. Elemental sodium has properties that make it very much not like table salt.

"fictional transparent aluminum"? Oh sorry, I didn't realize that we were comparing something with a unicorn.

Al2O3 has more "O" in it than "Al". So if we are counting on composition, one has more legitimacy to say that is made out of oxygen than aluminum.

But this is neither here nor there. It is a different beast entirely than aluminum and share little to no characteristics of aluminum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
"fictional transparent aluminum"? Oh sorry, I didn't realize that we were comparing something with a unicorn.
OP was clearly referring to such.
ZapperZ said:
Al2O3 has more "O" in it than "Al". So if we are counting on composition, one has more legitimacy to say that is made out of oxygen than aluminum.
By number of atoms, sure. Not by mass.

jackwhirl said:

Agree with you jackwhirl, not a fair comparison. Though better than one I got from them recently; noticing a pattern.

Likes fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
As in ##H_2O_2##? (Also known as hydrogen peroxide, as opposed to di-hydrogen monoxide, or more familiarly, ##H_2O##.)

Spinel and AlON have both been referred to as "transparent aluminum" and have been around for a while. I'm not sure what's really new from the article, which is not clear about it. Maybe, it is a newer, cheaper way to make the stuff. "Transparent aluminum" as a name is playing fast and loose with the language, but if lots of different alloys can still be called "aluminum" with a modifying adjective, then it follows the same trend to do it with metal ceramics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride

We've done a lot of testing with AlON over the past few years. It is very expensive, like $1k for a plate 6"x6"x0.25". It is a good candidate for transparent armor in several applications, but its cost is the biggest factor limiting adoption. A manufacturing process to make either Spinel of AlON much more cost effective would be a welcome advance.

Mark44 said:
As in ##H_2O_2##? (Also known as hydrogen peroxide, as opposed to di-hydrogen monoxide, or more familiarly, ##H_2O##.)
neither; ##HO## :wink:

phinds said:

still got aluminium in it :wink: and that was the whole point

Likes Imager and OmCheeto
phinds said:
Ah. Poetic license. OK.

yes lots of poetic license :wink:

Likes fresh_42
davenn said:
Hey! Don't bother me. I'm practicing being an anal nitpicking a-hole.

Likes Imager and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
... so no one will be abduct some whales.
I'm not quite sure what you meant up above?... but something seems to have provoked a "snark" attack... lol

Last edited:
davenn said:
There appear to be lots of ways to make transparent aluminum.
The Trekkian formulation was: Ag2H6Al3

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
t = 1:59
transparent.aluminum.jpg

TM & © Paramount (1986)

Likes davenn
OCR said:
I'm not quite sure what you meant up above?... but something seems to have provoked a "snark" attack... lol

did you not see the movie ?

OCR said:
yep, that had been lousy of me

davenn said:
...Transparent aluminum ? ...
that's the ticket laddie ...
it would take year just to figure out the dynamics of this matrix ...
yes, but you would be rich beyond the dreams of Everest ...
now is that worth something to you, or should I just push clear ?

"Everest" instead "Avarice"?

Imager said:
"Everest" instead "Avarice"?

McCoy used Everest ... maybe referring to some fictional person in the ST world ?

I had to google avarice ... which isn't the name for a person

NOUN
  1. extreme greed for wealth or material gain.
which would describe a person

Dave

Imager is correct. It is avarice.

Borg said:
Imager is correct. It is avarice.
Be kind of hard to imagine otherwise. Scotty was known for his brogue and for "givin' it all I've got", but not for general ignorance.

phinds said:
Be kind of hard to imagine otherwise. Scotty was known for his brogue and for "givin' it all I've got", but not for general ignorance.
Ha! fresh strikes back: It's McCoy saying it, not Scotty!

fresh_42 said:
Ha! fresh strikes back: It's McCoy saying it, not Scotty!
Well, hell, he was just a medic, not an Engineer, so I guess he could have done :smile:

Likes Imager
davenn said:
McCoy used Everest ... maybe referring to some fictional person in the ST world ?

I had to google avarice ... which isn't the name for a person

NOUN
  1. extreme greed for wealth or material gain.
which would describe a person

Dave

I still have to google "avarice", after all these years.

What I heard:
Part of it's, brutality, and innocence
Part of it's an innocence

Never did make sense...

What she actually sang:
Artifice, brutality and innocence
Artifice and innocence
"Everest" makes much more sense as a misappropriation of "avarice", than "part of it's".
Gosh darn song never did make sense, until I actually read the lyrics.

ps. When's the last time anyone heard someone use "avarice" in a sentence?

OmCheeto said:
ps. When's the last time anyone heard someone use "avarice" in a sentence?

never heard of the word before it was posted above LOL