U.S. admits to secret interrogation site in Baghdad

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
In summary, according to a senior US official, a previously undisclosed U.S. military interrogation facility at or near Baghdad International Airport does, in fact, exist. The site was run in accordance with the Geneva Conventions and all detainees were afforded their rights under that international document. However, I am very skeptical of what the man says, given his background, and comparing him to a bankrobber does not seem very objective.
Adam
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- As hundreds of detainees were released from Abu Ghraib prison outside Baghdad, a senior U.S. official Friday confirmed that a previously undisclosed U.S. military interrogation facility at or near Baghdad International Airport does indeed exist.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/21/iraq.main/index.html
They seem to be going out of their way to provide fuel for the anti-Bush folks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"the site was run in accordance with the Geneva Conventions and all detainees were afforded their rights under that international document."

your point was, Adam?

Studentx, please... Just sit back in the corner and watch for a month or two, let the adults discuss matters. You may learn something.

That particular phrase of molification was issued by a US employee involved with the matter. Do you take the word of a bank-robber, coming out of the bank with a sack of money over his shoulder, saying "I'm not breaking the law"?

Just in case you have forgotten (which seems the case): https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=26795

Assuming the man is lying by default is not very objective is it?
I am very skeptical of what the man says. But comparing him to a bankrobber... strawman Adam, tsk tsk

btw Adam, I am 28 years old!

Actually it's not a straw man. It's a fairly accurate analogy.

Do you take the word of a bank-robber, coming out of the bank with a sack of money over his shoulder, saying "I'm not breaking the law"?

If there are no signs the bank was robbed, then yes, I do.

After a closing time.

Give me a break Adam.
We all know that guy is Australian!
I mean, Australian servicemen raped brown women in WWII. Howard has called for Australians to be put in Iraq. By your own accounts, Howard is a liar and sneaky, thus we can infer that he has secretly put troops in Iraq already!
Because Howard, by your statements, is just an agent for the US this base is OBVIOUSLY an Australian base.
Sooo, until I see otherwise,this is a secret Australian Rape Base, setup by Howard and Bush!

Well, that's about what I expect, really...

Related to U.S. admits to secret interrogation site in Baghdad

1. What is a secret interrogation site in Baghdad?

A secret interrogation site in Baghdad is a location where the United States government conducted interrogations of suspected terrorists or enemy combatants during the Iraq War. These sites were kept secret from the public and were often located in undisclosed locations.

2. When did the U.S. admit to having a secret interrogation site in Baghdad?

The U.S. admitted to having a secret interrogation site in Baghdad in 2013. Former President Barack Obama acknowledged the existence of the site in a speech about national security and counterterrorism efforts.

3. Why did the U.S. government have a secret interrogation site in Baghdad?

The U.S. government believed that having a secret interrogation site in Baghdad would be an effective way to gather intelligence and extract information from suspected terrorists or enemy combatants. It was part of their larger strategy in the War on Terror.

4. Were there any controversies surrounding the secret interrogation site in Baghdad?

Yes, there were several controversies surrounding the secret interrogation site in Baghdad. The methods used at the site, such as waterboarding, were considered by many to be forms of torture. There were also concerns about the legality and morality of conducting interrogations in secret and without proper oversight.

5. Is the secret interrogation site in Baghdad still in operation?

It is not known if the secret interrogation site in Baghdad is still in operation. After the U.S. government admitted to its existence, it was reportedly shut down. However, there have been reports of other secret interrogation sites operated by the U.S. government in other countries, so it is possible that the practice still continues in some form.