Two variable function, single integral

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the definite integral I(y) = \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \frac{1}{y+cos(x)} \ dx if y > 1 using the substitution u = y + cos(x). However, an easier approach is to use the tangent half angle substitution t = tan(\frac{x}{2}).
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Evaluate:
[tex] I(y)= \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \frac{1}{y+cos(x)} \ dx [/tex] if [itex] y > 1 [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never seen an integral like this before. I can see it has the form:
[itex] \int^{a}_{b} f(x,y) dx [/itex]
I clearly can't treat it as one half of an exact differential of [itex] F(x,y) [/itex] because [tex] \frac{\partial{u}^{2}}{\partial{x} \partial{y}} \neq \frac{\partial{u}^{2}}{\partial{y}\partial{x}} [/tex]

I'm not sure if I can assume whether y is a constant or not. I think from the definition of integration it is possible just to say that y is independent of x. If that is so, I make the substitution [itex] u=y+cos(x) [/itex] which leaves me with:
[tex] I(y) = \int^{y+1}_{y} \frac{1}{u} \times \frac{1}{sin(x)} du = \int^{y+1}_{y} \frac{1}{u \sqrt{1-(u-y)^{2}}} du[/tex]

But this seems unintegrable.. which leaves me with a problem! Where have I gone wrong? Can I not assume y is a constant?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are integrating w.r.t. x, you treat y as a constant.

Perhaps there is an easier way of doing the definite integral, but normally for this type of integrand you need the tangent half angle substitution. See here for an example and explanation:
http://www.westga.edu/~faucette/research/Miracle.pdf

Likes bananabandana
Thanks LCKurtz [tex] t=tan(\frac{x}{2}) [/tex] works. Had completely forgotten about that, silly me :P

Related to Two variable function, single integral

1. What is a two variable function?

A two variable function is a mathematical function that involves two independent variables, usually denoted as x and y. The output of the function, or the dependent variable, is determined by the values of both x and y. This type of function is often graphed in a two-dimensional coordinate plane.

2. What is a single integral?

A single integral is a mathematical operation used to find the area under a curve on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is calculated by dividing the area into small rectangles and finding the sum of their areas. Single integrals are commonly used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you evaluate a two variable function, single integral?

To evaluate a two variable function, single integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration, which are the values of x and y that define the boundaries of the area you want to find. Then, you can use the single integral formula to calculate the area under the curve within those limits. This involves finding the antiderivative of the function and plugging in the limits of integration.

4. What are some real-life applications of two variable function, single integrals?

Two variable function, single integrals have many real-life applications. They are used in physics to calculate the center of mass of an object, in economics to determine the optimal production quantity, and in engineering to find the moment of inertia of a rigid body. They are also used in statistics to calculate probabilities and in finance to determine the present value of future cash flows.

5. Can you give an example of a two variable function, single integral?

One example of a two variable function, single integral is calculating the area of a circle with a radius of 2 units. The function would be f(x,y) = √(4 - x^2 - y^2) and the limits of integration would be -2 ≤ x ≤ 2 and -√(4-x^2) ≤ y ≤ √(4-x^2). By evaluating the single integral, we can find the area of the circle, which is approximately 12.57 square units.