Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] two topology questions

• Banned

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
1) Define a function S on the set of polynomials X by S(a+bx+.....)=max{|a|,|b|,.......}. define the distance (metric) on X by d(p,q)=S(p-q)

let f: X -> X Prove that if f(p(x))=1+1/2$\int_{0}\,^{x} p(t)\,dt$, then f is a contraction mapping with no fixed points.

2) Let the function space F = C ([0,1]; [0, 1]) be endowed with the sup metric d. For every f in F define $g(x)=sinx.|x^0.5-f(x)|$. Show that there is exactly one f in F such that f=g. You make take it that F is complete.

I know what I need to do for 1) but I can't seem to simplify it. For 2) I don't know.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
1) Define a function S on the set of polynomials X by S(a+bx+.....)=max{|a|,|b|,.......}. define the distance (metric) on X by d(p,q)=S(p-q)

let f: X -> X Prove that if f(p(x))=1+1/2$\int_{0}\,^{x} p(t)\,dt$, then f is a contraction mapping with no fixed points.
Given two polynomials $p(x) = a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+\ldots$ and $q(x) = b_0+b_1x+b_2x^2+\ldots$ (only finitely many nonzero coefficients in each case), find explicit expressions for $f(p(x))$ and $f(q(x))$ by integrating, form the difference $f(p(x)) - f(q(x))$, write down $d(f(p(x)) , f(q(x)))$ and show that it is less than a suitable multiple of $d(p(x),q(x)).$

If $p(x)$ is a fixed point then $\displaystyle p(x) = 1 + \frac12\int_0^xp(t)\,dt$. Differentiate, to get $p'(x) = \frac12p(x)$. Solve that differential equation and you will find that the solution is not a polynomial. So there is no fixed point in $X$.

2) Let the function space F = C ([0,1]; [0,1]) be endowed with the sup metric d. For every f in F define $g(x)=\sin x.|x^{0.5}-f(x)|$. Show that there is exactly one f in F such that f=g. You make take it that F is complete.

For 2) I don't know.
You have to show that the map $f \to g$ is a contraction map. The result will then follow from the contraction mapping theorem.

Given $f_1,\; f_2 \in F$, with images $g_1,\;g_2$, $$d(g_1,g_2) = \sup_{0\leqslant x\leqslant1}\bigl\{\sin x \bigl(|x^{0.5}-f_1(x)| - |x^{0.5}-f_2(x)|\bigr)\bigr\}.$$ You need to show that is less than some suitable multiple of $\displaystyle\sup_{0\leqslant x\leqslant1}|f_1(x) - f_2(x)|.$

• Banned

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
Very helpful thanks. For 2), I will be honest. I put ' I don't know' because I have tried showing it's a contraction mapping but I don't see how to get to desired form and so concluded that it wasn't right. I used traingle inequality and |sinx|<=1, but since 0<x<1, sqrt(x)>x and I can't manipulate it.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Very helpful thanks. For 2), I will be honest. I put ' I don't know' because I have tried showing it's a contraction mapping but I don't see how to get to desired form and so concluded that it wasn't right. I used traingle inequality and |sinx|<=1, but since 0<x<1, sqrt(x)>x and I can't manipulate it.
Just for the record, you need to use the triangle inequality in the form $\bigl||z|-|w|\bigr| \leqslant |z-w|$. It follows that $\bigl||x^{0.5}-f_1(x)| - |x^{0.5}-f_2(x)|\bigr| \leqslant |(x^{0.5}-f_1(x)) - (x^{0.5}-f_2(x))| = |f_2(x) - f_1(x)|$. Then $d(g_1,g_2) \leqslant \displaystyle\sup_{0\leqslant x\leqslant1}\sin x|f_1(x) - f_2(x)| \leqslant \sin (1) d(f_1,f_2).$ Since $\sin(1)<1$, the mapping $f\to g$ is a contraction map.

• Banned

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
I have done 1) now. Just wondering about the DE that is obtained p'=0.5p. Clearly 0 satifies this, but 0 is not a fixed point so where, when applying the fundamental theorem of calculus, was it assumed that p is non- zero

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
I have done 1) now. Just wondering about the DE that is obtained p'=0.5p. Clearly 0 satifies this, but 0 is not a fixed point so where, when applying the fundamental theorem of calculus, was it assumed that p is non- zero
I neglected to mention the initial condition for the differential equation. If $\displaystyle p(x) = 1 + \tfrac12\int_0^xp(t)\,dt$ then putting $x=0$ you see that $p(0) = 1.$ So $p$ cannot be the zero polynomial.

• Banned

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
I'm realising these topolgy questions are actually ok as long as one is familiar with the definitions (which I wasn't with contraction mapping), and is not intimidated.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
I'm realising these topolgy questions are actually ok as long as one is familiar with the definitions (which I wasn't with contraction mapping), and is not intimidated.
Knowing the definitions is always a powerful help. (Muscle) (Smile)