Exploring Ancient Universe Proximities: 12,000 BC - 400 BC

• I
  • Thread starter ASTRA225o4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the distances between distant galaxies are growing, but nearby galaxies are bound by their gravity and are not separating. Nor are solar systems moving apart, since they are similarly bound together.
ASTRA225o4
Hi, if possible I would like to ask a question to experts in this area, it is correct to say that: In ancient times, ranging from around 12,000 BC. until 400 BC, the universe was more compact, and consequently the distances between solar systems were smaller? From what I have been able to understand, as an enthusiast and not as a scholar, the universe is expanding and accelerating that expansion continuously. If so, was there a time when the proximity between some solar systems was less than what we can observe today? To give a stupid example: if we take Sirius A and B which are about 8.6 light years from the earth, is it possible that at a certain time they were visible to the naked eye because they were closer to the earth? Thanks to everyone who will help me understand, I hope I explained myself well.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No. The distances between distant galaxies are growing as you say, but nearby galaxies are bound by their gravity and are not separating. Nor are solar systems moving apart, since they are similarly bound together.

As I recall, the nearest system is actually moving slightly towards us, but not at any significant rate compared to the distance between us.

Ah I see. Thank you so much for the answer!

Likes Ibix
ASTRA225o4 said:
In ancient times, ranging from around 12,000 BC. until 400 BC
These timescales are nothing whe compared to cosmic timescale. The universe was approximately the same.

ASTRA225o4 said:
To give a stupid example: if we take Sirius A and B which are about 8.6 light years from the earth, is it possible that at a certain time they were visible to the naked eye because they were closer to the earth?
Sirius A is visible to naked eye. We just cannot recognize Sirius B by naked eyes. And more importantly, the expansion of universe doesn't affect bound systems like stellar systems, galaxies or even the galaxy clusters. So the answer is no.

Sirius is moving, but it has nothing to do with the expansion of the universe. It's also moving in the wrong direction - towards Earth at 5 or 6 km/s. In the last 10,000 years it's moved about 2% closer.

Other factors affect viewing dim stellar objects from Earth. Within my own lifetime under clear conditions on dark nights the Milky Way galaxy made a bright swath across the sky above our valley. Air and light pollution now mask all but the brightest stellar objects near cities.

While astronomical distances have not changed appreciably in a few thousand years, civilization has altered viewing.

Vanadium 50 said:
Sirius is moving, but it has nothing to do with the expansion of the universe.
If Sirius (and we) were moving only with the expansion of the universe, without gravitation, how much would the distance have increased in 10,000 years? (Assume Sirius has negligible mass.)

Zero. As said above, expansion doesn't apply to bound systems.

Keith_McClary said:
If Sirius (and we) were moving only with the expansion of the universe, without gravitation, how much would the distance have increased in 10,000 years? (Assume Sirius has negligible mass.)
If these weren't actual stars in a galaxy, but two points of negligible mass in a void, moving with the Hubble flow, then they'd separate by 1/1440000 of the distance between them.

• Informative
Likes diogenesNY and Keith_McClary
Keith_McClary said:
The expansion rate is derived from the Friedmann equation, and uses an average universal mass/energy density. The Friedmann equation cannot be applied to our galaxy, so in no sense is the space in our galaxy expanding.

For example, the behaviour of the galaxy does not change over time. It doesn't matter how large the universal expansion becomes, it will never affect the dynamics of the galaxy itself. Eventually, the universal expansion rate may be huge, but that wouldn't affect bound systems like a galaxy. The equation that governs the overall expansion, based on the average mass/energy density of the universe, simply does not apply to the galaxy.

Likes Vanadium 50

1. What evidence do we have for the existence of ancient civilizations during this time period?

There is a wealth of evidence from various sources such as archaeological findings, written records, and oral traditions that suggest the presence of advanced civilizations during this time period. For example, the Great Pyramid of Giza, built around 2560 BC, is a remarkable feat of engineering and construction that suggests a highly advanced society. Additionally, there are numerous ancient texts and artifacts that depict advanced knowledge and technology, such as the Antikythera Mechanism, a complex astronomical calculator dating back to 150-100 BC.

2. How did ancient civilizations in different parts of the world interact with each other?

There is evidence of trade and cultural exchange between ancient civilizations, such as the Silk Road connecting China and the Roman Empire. However, the extent of interaction varied depending on factors such as geographical proximity and cultural differences. Some civilizations also engaged in warfare and conquest, leading to the spread of ideas and technologies.

3. What advancements in science and technology were made during this time period?

There were significant advancements in various fields such as astronomy, mathematics, and medicine during this time period. For example, ancient civilizations developed sophisticated methods for tracking celestial bodies and predicting astronomical events, such as eclipses. They also made progress in mathematics, with the development of systems such as the Babylonian sexagesimal system and the Indian numeral system. In medicine, ancient civilizations made important discoveries and treatments, such as the use of herbs and surgery.

4. How did ancient civilizations view and understand the universe?

Ancient civilizations had diverse beliefs and understandings of the universe. Some viewed the universe as a manifestation of gods and goddesses, while others saw it as a complex system that could be understood through observation and reasoning. Many civilizations also developed cosmological theories and models to explain the movements of celestial bodies and the structure of the universe.

5. What impact did these ancient civilizations have on modern society?

The ancient civilizations of this time period laid the foundation for many aspects of modern society. Their advancements in science, technology, and philosophy have influenced our understanding of the world and continue to be built upon today. Additionally, many modern languages, cultures, and traditions have roots in these ancient civilizations, showcasing their lasting impact on our global society.