Two relations between bounded variation and Riemann-Stieltjes integral

In summary, the conversation discusses Apostol's section on Riemann-Stieltjes integral and a statement regarding the function of bounded variation and the function ##F##. The statement is proven by assuming ##α## is monotone increasing and using a theorem previously proved by Apostol. The relation between monotone increasing functions and functions of bounded variation is explored, with the mention of the Jordan decomposition. The conversation ends with a confirmation of the correctness of the proof and a suggestion to refer to Apostol's work for more information.
mahler1
I am reading Apostol's section on Riemann-Stieltjes integral and I have doubts on one statement:

Let ##α## be a function of bounded variation on ##[a,b]## and suppose ##f \in R(α)## on ##[a,b]##. We define ##F## as ##F(x)=\int_a^x f(x)dα## if ##x \in [a,b]##, then ##F## is a function of bounded variation on ##[a,b]##.

He proves this statement but in his proof he says: 'it's sufficient if we assume ##α## is monotone increasing on ##[a,b]##.

The proof (assuming ##α## is monotone increasing) is short and simple:
First he uses a theorem he proves in a previous page which says: Let##α## is monotone increasing and ##f \in R(α)## on ##[a,b]##. If ##m## and ##M## are the sup and inf of the set ##\{f(x): x \in [a,b]\}##, then there exists ##c## with ##m\leq c \leq M## such that:

##\int_a^b f(x)dα(x)=c\int_a^b dα(x)=c[α(b)-α(a)]##.

Using this, we have ##F(y)-F(x)=\int_x^y fdα=c[α(y)-α(x)]## and from here one can deduce that ##F## is of bounded variation.

I understood this proof, but I don't understand why it is sufficient to prove that the statement holds for the case ##α## monotone increasing. I don't see why it would have to hold for an arbitrary function ##α## of bounded variation such that ##f \in R(α)## if we've already proved it for ##α## monotone increasing.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relation between montone increasing functions and functions of bounded variation?

R136a1 said:
What is the relation between montone increasing functions and functions of bounded variation?

Well, he says it is sufficient to prove the statement holds in the case ##α## is a monotone increasing function. I don't see why if the statement holds for this case, then one can deduce the statement holds for an arbitrary ##α## of bounded variation (not necessarily monotone increasing).

Oh, and in my title says 'two relations...' but it's actually one statement/relation

mahler1 said:
Well, he says it is sufficient to prove the statement holds in the case ##α## is a monotone increasing function. I don't see why if the statement holds for this case, then one can deduce the statement holds for an arbitrary ##α## of bounded variation (not necessarily monotone increasing)

Are all functions of bounded variation also monotone increasing? If the answer is no, can you represent function of bounded variation in some way using monotone increasing functions?

Likes 1 person
R136a1 said:
Are all functions of bounded variation also monotone increasing? If the answer is no, can you represent function of bounded variation in some way using monotone increasing functions?

Oh, I could express ##α=V_a^x-(V_a^x-α)##, which are two monotone increasing functions and the case reduces again to monotone increasing functions.

mahler1 said:
Oh, I could express ##α=V_a^x-(V_a^x-α)##, which are two monotone increasing functions and the case reduces again to monotone increasing functions.

Yes. This is called the Jordan decomposition and is very important in the study of bounded variation. Using the Jordan decomposition, do you see why Apostols statement is true?

Likes 1 person
R136a1 said:
Yes. This is called the Jordan decomposition and is very important in the study of bounded variation. Using the Jordan decomposition, do you see why Apostols statement is true?

Just in case I want to check:

I suppose that ##\int_a^x f(x)dα=\int_a^x f(x)dV_a^x-\int_a^xf(x)d(V_a^x-α)## and since both ##V## and ##V-α## are monotone increasing on ##[a,b]##, then both are of bounded variation. If I call ##g(x)=\int_a^x f(x)dα=\int_a^x f(x)dV_a^x## and ##h(x)=\int_a^xf(x)d(V_a^x-α)##, then these functions are of bounded variation, and as ##F(x)=g(x)-h(x)##, then ##F## is also of bounded variation.
I said I suppose, but I don't have totally clear if ##\int_a^x f(x)dα=\int_a^x f(x)dV_a^x-\int_a^xf(x)d(V_a^x-α)##

That's correct. For the thing you're unsure of, you should have seen somewhere in Apostol that

[tex]\int h d(\alpha + \beta) = \int hd\alpha + \int h d\beta[/tex]

Likes 1 person
R136a1 said:
That's correct. For the thing you're unsure of, you should have seen somewhere in Apostol that

[tex]\int h d(\alpha + \beta) = \int hd\alpha + \int h d\beta[/tex]

You've said so, I should. Now I'll look up in Apostol. Thank you!

Related to Two relations between bounded variation and Riemann-Stieltjes integral

1. What is a Riemann-Stieltjes integral?

A Riemann-Stieltjes integral is a type of integral that generalizes the Riemann integral to allow for integration with respect to a more general class of functions. It is used to calculate the area under a curve when the integrand function is not continuous or when the integrator function is not differentiable.

2. What is meant by bounded variation in relation to the Riemann-Stieltjes integral?

Bounded variation is a concept in mathematical analysis that measures the "smoothness" of a function. A function with bounded variation has a finite total variation, meaning that it does not have large "jumps" or oscillations. In the context of the Riemann-Stieltjes integral, bounded variation is necessary for the existence and calculation of the integral.

3. How are bounded variation and the Riemann-Stieltjes integral related?

Bounded variation and the Riemann-Stieltjes integral are closely related because the existence and calculation of the integral depends on the bounded variation of the integrand and integrator functions. If either function does not have bounded variation, the integral may not exist or its value may be infinite.

4. What is the significance of the relationship between bounded variation and the Riemann-Stieltjes integral?

The relationship between bounded variation and the Riemann-Stieltjes integral is significant because it allows for the calculation of integrals for a wider class of functions. It also provides a more general framework for integration, which is useful in various fields of mathematics and physics.

5. Are there any practical applications of the relationship between bounded variation and the Riemann-Stieltjes integral?

Yes, there are many practical applications of this relationship. For example, the Riemann-Stieltjes integral is used in physics to calculate the work done by a varying force, and in economics to calculate the value of a continuously compounded interest rate. It is also used in probability theory and statistics to calculate the expected value of a random variable.