Two protons colide and i am to calculate newly formed mass

In summary, two protons with kinetic energies of 4GeV and 2GeV collide and form new particles. To calculate the mass of the newly born particles, we can use the energy conservation law and the Lorentz invariant equation. However, we must also consider that the kinetic energies will change in the center of mass frame. The total energy of a mass moving at speed v is E=γmc^2, which can be used to calculate the speed of the center of mass frame. However, if there are no course notes on how to convert to the center of mass frame in relativity, it is not recommended to do so. It is also important to note that in p-p scattering, the rest-energy is recovered and two
71GA

Homework Statement

Two protons with kinetic energies ##W_{k1}=4GeV## and ##W_{k2}=2GeV## colide and form new particles. What is the mass of newly born particles?

Homework Equations

\begin{align}
W_{before}&=W_{after}\\
p_{before}&=p_{after}\\
W^2 &= {W_0}^2 + p^2c^2 \longleftarrow \substack{\text{Lorentz invariant}}
\end{align}

The Attempt at a Solution

First i wrote the energy conservation law:
\begin{align}
W_{before} &= W_{after}\\
W_{k1} + W_{k2} + 2W_{0p} &= \sqrt{{W_{0~after}}^2 +p^2c^2}\longleftarrow\substack{\text{Here the $W_{0~after}$ is a full}\\\text{rest energy after colision}}\\
W_{k1} + W_{k2} + 2W_{0p} &= \sqrt{\underbrace{\left( 2W_{0p} + W_{0m} \right)^2}_{\smash{\substack{\text{after collision we have}\\\text{2 $p^+$ and new mass $m$}}}} +p^2c^2}
\end{align}

Here i am not sure what to do with the ##p^2c^2##. Can i just take the mass frame and say ##p=0##? Why yes and why not?

Other option i am thinking of is to say that ##pc = \sqrt{{W_{k~before}}^2 - 2W_{k~before}W_{0~before}}##. Here i know that ##W_{0~before}=2W_{0p}##, but i am not sure what to put in for ##W_{k~before}##. Can i do it like ##W_{k~before} = W_{k1}+W_{k2}##?

Which of these two options is right/wrong and why? If both are wrong please tell me how to fix them to become ok.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking the center of mass frame is useful for simplifying the calculations.
Remember that the kinetic energies will change.

Why do you think there are still two protons around after the collision?

Note - you can also use the form: ##W_k=(\gamma -1)mc^2##

Simon Bridge said:
Taking the center of mass frame is useful for simplifying the calculations.
Remember that the kinetic energies will change.
How will they change? I guess one will be bigger and other will be smaller than in lab. frame. How do i calculate this? I will also need to calculate the speed of the COM frame.

Simon Bridge said:
Why do you think there are still two protons around after the collision?
I have heard that new mass can be formed in the proximity of the massive bodies - protons have mass...

Simon Bridge said:
Note - you can also use the form: ##W_k=(\gamma -1)mc^2##
To calculate the speed of COM? Where would this eq. come in handy?

The total energy of a mass moving at speed v is ##E=\gamma mc^2## - it's just the Einstein mass-energy relation. You keep using ##E^2=m^2c^4+p^2c^2## instead. The kinetic energy is the total energy with the rest-mass energy ##mc^2## removed, thus, ##W_k=(\gamma-1)mc^2##.

Thus ##\gamma^2m^2c^4 = m^2c^4+p^2c*2##
... it can be a useful way to think about your problem in any reference frame.

If you do not have course notes on how to convert to center-of-mass in relativity, it is probably not a good idea to do so.

As it happens - in p-p scattering you get more particle sout than in, so the rest-energy is recovered and two of the particles are protons. This suggests that only the kinetic energy is available make new particles.

The folowing course-notes walks you through the ohysics:
http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/particle_creation.html

Thank you.

Related to Two protons colide and i am to calculate newly formed mass

1. What is the formula for calculating the newly formed mass after two protons collide?

The formula for calculating the newly formed mass after two protons collide is: m = 2mp + √(p1^2 + p2^2 + 2p1p2cosθ), where m is the newly formed mass, mp is the mass of a proton, p1 and p2 are the initial momenta of the two protons, and θ is the angle between their momenta.

2. How do the initial momenta of the protons affect the newly formed mass?

The initial momenta of the protons directly affect the newly formed mass as seen in the formula. The greater the initial momenta, the higher the newly formed mass will be.

3. Can the newly formed mass be greater than the sum of the individual proton masses?

Yes, the newly formed mass can be greater than the sum of the individual proton masses. This is due to the addition of the kinetic energies of the protons as they collide, as well as the potential energy from their interaction.

4. How does the angle between the protons' momenta affect the newly formed mass?

The angle between the protons' momenta, θ, affects the newly formed mass as it is included in the square root portion of the formula. The larger the angle, the smaller the newly formed mass will be.

5. Is there a difference in the newly formed mass when the protons collide compared to when they are at rest?

Yes, there is a difference in the newly formed mass when the protons collide compared to when they are at rest. This is because when the protons are at rest, their momenta is zero, and therefore the formula simplifies to the sum of the individual proton masses.