Mass is subject to external force

In summary, the motion of a mass m on a linear spring, subject to an external force, can be described by the equation y(t) = Asin(wt+f) where t is the time and A, w, and f are constants. The physical meaning of these constants are the amplitude, frequency, and phase shift of the motion, respectively. The values of these constants can be determined by solving the given differential equation and using the initial conditions. When the mass is subject to an external force, the resulting motion is a sum of two sinusoidal terms, with different amplitudes, periods, and phase shifts. The amplitude of this resulting motion can be determined by using Fourier analysis, but it is not explicitly stated in the conversation.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :)
I have a question..I am given the following exercise:
Prove that the motion of a mass m on a linear spring with constant $k$, has the form $y (t) = Asin(wt+f)$ , where $t$ is the time and $A, w, f$ are constants. Interpret the physical meaning of the above constants and specify their values if for $t = 0, y(0)=y_{0}$ and $y'(0)=v_{0}$. If,in addition, the mass is subject to external force $F (t) = F_{0}sin (w_{0}t)$, where $F_{0}$ the amplitude and $w_{0}$ the cyclic frequency,calculate the amplitude of the motion and find its dependence from the cyclic frequency $w_{0}$.I have shown that the motion of the mass has the form $y(t)= Asin(wt+f)$,where $A=\sqrt{\frac{v_{0}^{2}}{w^{2}}+y_{0}^{2}}, \text { where } w=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}$ and $f=arctan(\frac{y_{0}w}{v_{0}})$ .But,when the mass is subject to external force $F (t) = F_{0}sin (w_{0}t)$,do we get this differential equation: $y''+w^{2}y=\frac{F_{0}}{m}sin(w_{0}t)$ ,or am I wrong?If it is right,how can I find the amplitude of the motion? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
For an undamped system with a sinusoidal forcing term, we could say it is governed by:

\(\displaystyle m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+ky=F_0\sin(\omega_0 t)\)

A general solution to this ODE is the sum of a particular solution and a general solution to the corresponding homogenous equation.

You have already found the form of the homogeneous solution. Can you now state the form of the particular solution, either by using a table or using the annihilator method? And then I suggest using the method of undetermined coefficients to determine the particular solution. At this point you can then use linear combination identities to determine the amplitude of the resulting motion and its dependence on the cyclic frequency.

MarkFL said:
For an undamped system with a sinusoidal forcing term, we could say it is governed by:

\(\displaystyle m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+ky=F_0\sin(\omega_0 t)\)

A general solution to this ODE is the sum of a particular solution and a general solution to the corresponding homogenous equation.

You have already found the form of the homogeneous solution. Can you now state the form of the particular solution, either by using a table or using the annihilator method? And then I suggest using the method of undetermined coefficients to determine the particular solution. At this point you can then use linear combination identities to determine the amplitude of the resulting motion and its dependence on the cyclic frequency.

I have found the general solution: $y(t)=c_{1}cos(wt)+c_{2}sin(wt)+\frac{F_{0}}{m(w-w_{0}^{2})}sin(w_{0}t)$ where $c_{1}=y_{0} $ and $ c_{2}=\frac{v_{0}}{w}-\frac{F_{0}w_{0}}{mw(w-w_{0}^{2})}$ Is this right?? But how can I find the amplitude of the motion? :confused:

Do I have to write $y$ in the form $Asin(wt+f)$,or do I have to do something else?? (Thinking)

Okay, we are given the IVP:

\(\displaystyle m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+ky=F_0\sin\left(\omega_0 t \right)\) where \(\displaystyle y(0)=y_0,\,y'(0)=v_0\)

The characteristic roots are:

\(\displaystyle r=\pm\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}i\)

Hence, the homogeneous solution is:

\(\displaystyle y_h(t)=c_1\cos\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}t \right)+c_2\sin\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}t \right)\)

Applying a linear combination identity we can express this solution in the form:

\(\displaystyle y_h(t)=c_1\sin\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}t+c_2 \right)\)

Now, because of the form of the forcing term on the right, we may assume the particular solution must take the form:

\(\displaystyle y_p(t)=A\sin\left(\omega_0 t \right)+B\cos\left(\omega_0 t \right)\)

Differentiating twice, we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2}{dt^2}y_p(t)=-\omega_0^2y_p(t)\)

Substituting into the ODE, we find:

\(\displaystyle -m\omega_0^2\left(A\sin\left(\omega_0 t \right)+B\cos\left(\omega_0 t \right) \right)+k\left(A\sin\left(\omega_0 t \right)+B\cos\left(\omega_0 t \right) \right)=F_0\sin\left(\omega_0 t \right)\)

So that we may compare coefficients, we arrange this equation as follows:

\(\displaystyle A\left(k-m\omega_0^2 \right)\sin\left(\omega_0 t \right)+B\left(k-m\omega_0^2 \right)\cos\left(\omega_0 t \right)=F_0\sin\left(\omega_0 t \right)+0\cos\left(\omega_0 t \right)\)

Equating the coefficients, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle A\left(k-m\omega_0^2 \right)=F_0\implies A=\frac{F_0}{k-m\omega_0^2}\)

\(\displaystyle B\left(k-m\omega_0^2 \right)=0\)

Assuming \(\displaystyle k\ne m\omega_0^2\) we find $B=0$, and so our particular solution is:

\(\displaystyle y_p(t)=\frac{F_0}{k-m\omega_0^2}\sin\left(\omega_0 t \right)\)

And thus, by the principle of superposition, the general solution is given by:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=y_h(t)+y_p(t)\)

\(\displaystyle y(t)=c_1\sin\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}t+c_2 \right)+\frac{F_0}{k-m\omega_0^2}\sin\left(\omega_0 t \right)\)

Differentiating with respect to $t$, we find:

\(\displaystyle y'(t)=c_1\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}\cos\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}t+c_2 \right)+\frac{F_0\omega_0}{k-m\omega_0^2}\cos\left(\omega_0 t \right)\)

Utilizing the given initial values, we find:

\(\displaystyle y(0)=c_1\sin\left(c_2 \right)=y_0\)

\(\displaystyle y'(0)=c_1\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}\cos\left(c_2 \right)+\frac{F_0\omega_0}{k-m\omega_0^2}=v_0\)

The first equation gives us:

\(\displaystyle c_1=\frac{y_0}{\sin\left(c_2 \right)}\)

And so substituting for $c_1$ into the second equation, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y_0}{\sin\left(c_2 \right)}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}\cos\left(c_2 \right)+\frac{F_0\omega_0}{k-m\omega_0^2}=v_0\)

We may arrange this as:

\(\displaystyle \tan\left(c_2 \right)=\frac{y_0\left(k-m\omega_0^2 \right)}{v_0\left(k-m\omega_0^2 \right)-F_0\omega_0}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}\)

And so we find:

\(\displaystyle c_2=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{y_0\left(k-m\omega_0^2 \right)}{v_0\left(k-m\omega_0^2 \right)-F_0\omega_0}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} \right)\)

For simplicity, let's define:

\(\displaystyle \alpha\equiv\frac{y_0\left(k-m\omega_0^2 \right)}{v_0\left(k-m\omega_0^2 \right)-F_0\omega_0}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle c_2=\tan^{-1}(\alpha)\)

and then we find:

\(\displaystyle c_1=\frac{y_0\sqrt{\alpha^2+1}}{\alpha}\)

Thus, the solution satisfying the IVP is:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=\frac{y_0\sqrt{\alpha^2+1}}{\alpha}\sin\left(\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}t+\tan^{-1}(\alpha) \right)+\frac{F_0}{k-m\omega_0^2}\sin\left(\omega_0 t \right)\)

We see we have the sum of two sinusoidal terms, with differing amplitudes, periods and phase shifts. I really can't think of a means to determine the amplitude of the resulting combination. Perhaps someone else can suggest a means of doing so, perhaps using Fourier analysis. :D

Related to Mass is subject to external force

1. What is the concept of mass being subject to external force?

The concept of mass being subject to external force means that an object's mass can be affected by external forces such as gravity, friction, or air resistance. This can cause changes in the object's motion or state of rest.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its response to external forces?

An object with a larger mass will have a greater resistance to changes in its motion or state of rest when acted upon by external forces. This is because it requires more force to change the velocity or direction of a heavier object.

3. Can an object's mass change due to external forces?

No, an object's mass remains constant regardless of external forces acting upon it. However, the object's weight may change if the force of gravity changes.

4. Are there any exceptions to the concept of mass being subject to external force?

In the theory of relativity, the concept of mass being subject to external force is modified. According to Einstein's theory, mass and energy are interchangeable, and the mass of an object can change when it is subjected to extreme forces.

5. How does the concept of mass being subject to external force apply to everyday situations?

In everyday situations, the concept of mass being subject to external force can be seen in actions such as pushing a shopping cart, throwing a ball, or riding a bike. In each of these cases, the external force applied affects the object's mass and causes changes in its motion or state of rest.