Two methods for deriving the quadratic formula that I was not taught in school

In summary, there are three main methods for solving quadratic equations: factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The quadratic formula is derived by completing the square on the general quadratic in standard form, which involves moving the constant term to the other side and adding the square of one-half the coefficient of the linear term to both sides. Other variations of this technique include shifting the roots and multiplying by 4a. No matter the method, the end result is always the same: x equals negative b plus or minus the square root of b squared minus 4ac, all divided by 2a.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
As a student, I was taught 3 ways to solve quadratic equations:

i) Factoring

ii) Completing the square

iii) Applying the quadratic formula, derived by completing the square on the general quadratic in standard form:

(1) $\displaystyle ax^2+bx+c=0$

To complete the square, I was taught to move the constant term to the other side and divide through by a:

$\displaystyle x^2+\frac{b}{a}x=-\frac{c}{a}$

Then, add the square of one-half the coefficient of the linear term to both sides:

$\displaystyle x^2+\frac{b}{a}x+\left(\frac{b}{2a} \right)^2=-\frac{c}{a}+\left(\frac{b}{2a} \right)^2$

Write the left side as a square, and combine terms on the right:

$\displaystyle \left(x+\frac{b}{2a} \right)^2=\frac{b^2-4ac}{(2a)^2}$

Apply the square root property:

$\displaystyle x+\frac{b}{2a}=\pm\frac{\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$

Solve for x:

$\displaystyle x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$

And we have the famous quadratic formula.

In my years on math forums, I have gleaned two variations on this technique that I would like to share:

Method 1:

Divide (1) by a:

$\displaystyle x^2+\frac{b}{a}x+\frac{c}{a}=0$

Now, we next want to shift the roots to the right by 1/2 the value of the coefficient of the linear term, so our new equation is:

$\displaystyle \left(x-\frac{b}{2a} \right)^2+\frac{b}{a}\left(x-\frac{b}{2a} \right)+\frac{c}{a}=0$

$\displaystyle x^2-\frac{b}{a}x+\frac{b^2}{4a^2}+\frac{b}{a}x-\frac{b^2}{2a^2}+\frac{c}{a}=0$

$\displaystyle x^2=\frac{b^2-4ac}{4a^2}$

$\displaystyle x=\pm\frac{\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}$

Now, we subtract $\displaystyle \frac{b}{2a}$ from these roots, to get the roots of the original equation:

Method 2:

Arrange (1) as:

$\displaystyle ax^2+bx=-c$

Multiply by $\displaystyle 4a$:

$\displaystyle 4a^2x^2+4abx=-4ac$

Add $\displaystyle b^2$ to both sides:

$\displaystyle 4a^2x^2+4abx+b^2=b^2-4ac$

Write the left side as a square:

$\displaystyle (2ax+b)^2=b^2-4ac$

Apply the square root property:

$\displaystyle 2ax+b=\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}$

Solve for x:

Comments and questions should be posted here:

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f49/commentary-two-methods-deriving-quadratic-formula-i-not-taught-school-4225/#post11756

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is another method submitted to me by our own agentmulder:

Let

\(\displaystyle ax^2+bx+c=0\)

\(\displaystyle ax^2+bx=-c \)

Now... I want to complete the square but the coefficient of x^2 is bothering me. NO PROBLEM, I'll take it's square root.

\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{a}x+? \right)^2 \)

Now... what is the question mark? A little playing around shows it must be \(\displaystyle \frac{b}{2 \sqrt{a}}\) because that's the only way to get $bx$ when we square the binomial, and I'll just subtract (it's square), the constant as a correction term.

\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{a}x+\frac{b}{2\sqrt{a}} \right)^2-\frac{b^2}{4a}=-c\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\sqrt{a}x + \frac{b}{2 \sqrt{a}} \right)^2=\frac{b^2-4ac}{4a}\)

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a}x+\frac{b}{2\sqrt{a}}=\pm\frac{\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2\sqrt{a}}\)

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a}x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2\sqrt{a}}\)

DIVIDE BY $\sqrt{a}$ AND YOU'RE DONE!

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}\)

1. What are the two methods for deriving the quadratic formula?

The two methods for deriving the quadratic formula are completing the square and using the quadratic formula proof. These methods provide different approaches to solving quadratic equations and are both commonly used in mathematics.

2. How does completing the square help in deriving the quadratic formula?

Completing the square is a method that helps in solving quadratic equations by converting the equation into a perfect square trinomial. This process involves adding and subtracting a constant term to both sides of the equation, resulting in a quadratic equation in the form of (x + a)^2 = b. By taking the square root of both sides, we can then solve for x and obtain the quadratic formula.

3. What is the quadratic formula proof and how does it work?

The quadratic formula proof is a geometric proof that shows the relationship between the coefficients of a quadratic equation and the roots of the equation. It involves constructing a square with side lengths equal to the coefficients of the quadratic equation and using geometric properties to derive the quadratic formula.

4. Why are these methods not taught in school?

These methods may not be taught in school due to time constraints or the level of complexity. Completing the square and the quadratic formula proof may be introduced in higher-level math classes, but are not typically covered in introductory algebra courses.

5. Are there any other methods for deriving the quadratic formula?

Yes, there are other methods for deriving the quadratic formula, such as using the discriminant or using the factoring method. These methods may also be used to solve quadratic equations and can be more efficient depending on the equation given.