Two Masses on a Massed Pulley and a variation

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the student is having trouble solving a physics problem. They have provided two examples of the problem, with the first being a mass hanging from a pulley, and the second being a sphere rolling without sliding on a flat surface. They are also given values for the masses and radii of the objects. They are trying to solve for the tension between the objects, but are getting stuck. They have been helped by someone else, but would like more help.
Esragoria
1a. Homework Statement
Hi all, I'm having quite a bit of problem on a physics question. I've seen some examples of this problem, but when I follow the suggestions and equations out, the answer I get back is wrong...

Anyways, here's the problem:
Given two masses ([itex]m_1,~m_2[/itex]) hanging from opposite sides of a solid disk-shaped pulley of known mass and radius ([itex]m_3,~R[/itex]) from a massless string, determine linear acceleration, angular acceleration of the pulley, the tension between the pulley and each of the two hanging masses and a few other things that I think I can work out on my own. I've attached a picture for reference.

I'd like to figure out how to solve this generally, but if it helps here are the masses and radii:[tex] m_1 = 3.6\text{ kg}[/tex] [tex] m_2 = 1.7 \text{ kg}[/tex] [tex] m_3 =2.2 \text{ kg} [/tex] [tex] R = 0.15 \text{ m}[/tex]

1b.
The variation replaces one of the masses with a sphere rolling without sliding on a flat surface. I've included a picture of this problem as reference. For this problem we are given the mass and radius of the sphere ([itex]m_s,~r_s[/itex]), the mass and radius of the solid disk-shaped pulley ([itex]m_d,~r_d[/itex]), and the mass and the radius of the hoop (which I have been treating as just a point mass because it appears to have no rotation) ([itex] m_h,~r_h[/itex]).

Again, I'd like to figure this out generally, but here are the values given: $$m_s=3.2\text{ kg},~r_s=0.2\text{ m}$$ $$m_d=1.8\text{ kg},~r_d=0.09\text{ m}$$ $$m_h=2.4\text{ kg},~r_h=0.15\text{ m}$$

Homework Equations

The equations I'm working with for 1a are: $$\vec{\tau}=\vec{R} \times \vec{F}= RT = I \alpha $$ $$a=R \alpha$$ $$I_\text{disk}= \frac{1}{2}mR^2$$
For 1b I'm also using: $$I_s= \frac{2}{5}mR^2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming downward acceleration to be negative:
##F_\text{net},_1 = m_1 a = T_1 - m_1 g ## resulting in a negative acceleration for ##m_1##​
##F_\text{net},_2 = m_2 a = T_2 - m_2 g ## resulting in a positive acceleration for ##m_2##​
Solving both for tension, I get: $$T_1=m_1a+m_1g$$ and $$T_2=m_2a+m_2g$$
Additionally I have: $$\tau_\text{net}=I \alpha = RT_\text{net} = RT_1 - RT_2$$
Substituting in ##T_1 ,~ T_2,~\alpha=\frac{a}{R},~I_\text{disk}=\frac{1}{2}m_3 R^2 ##: $$\frac{1}{2}m_3 R^2 (\frac{a}{R}) = Rm_1 a + Rm_1 g - Rm_2 g - Rm_2 a$$
Simplifying out: $$a = 2g \frac{m_1 - m_2}{2m_2+m_3 - 2m_1}$$
and this is where I'm stuck. When I plug the numbers in, the online answer program is saying I'm wrong. I also simplified out using ##m_2 a=m_2g -T_2## resulting in: $$a = 2g \frac{m_1 - m_2}{m_3-2m_2 - 2m_1}$$ and ##T_1=m_1g-m_1a## resulting in: $$a = 2g \frac{m_1 - m_2}{m_3-2m_2 + 2m_1}$$ and these were both wrong

For 1b, I did essentially the same thing, except making down positive: $$\tau_s=I_s\alpha$$ $$\tau_h=R_dT_h$$ $$T_h=m_ha+m_h$$ $$\tau_\text{net}=\tau_s-\tau_h$$ Simplifying and substituting, I get: $$a=\frac{r_dm_hg}{\frac{2}{5}m_sr_s-r_d(m_h-\frac{m_d}{2})}$$ which is wrong.

Help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-11-05 at 8.04.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-11-05 at 8.04.41 PM.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 448
  • Screen shot 2012-11-05 at 9.29.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-11-05 at 9.29.30 PM.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Esragoria said:
##F_\text{net},_1 = m_1 a = T_1 - m_1 g ## resulting in a negative acceleration for ##m_1##​
##F_\text{net},_2 = m_2 a = T_2 - m_2 g ## resulting in a positive acceleration for ##m_2##​
These two accelerations mean different things. Either give them separate names or (easier) change the sign of one so that they refer to the same thing. It has led you to get the wrong sign on a term in your answer. I think the rest of the working is OK.

Herp derp, I can't add. Just reworked it using the right signs and it ended up right. Thanks.
Ended up with $$a=2g\frac{m_1-m_2}{2m_1+2m_2+m_3}$$
I'll try doing the right math with the variation problem.

Related to Two Masses on a Massed Pulley and a variation

1. What is a massed pulley and how does it work?

A massed pulley is a simple machine that consists of a rope or belt wrapped around a grooved wheel, with two masses attached to either end. When one mass is pulled down, the other mass is lifted up due to the tension in the rope. This allows for the transfer of force and can be used to lift or move heavy objects.

2. What is the difference between a single mass on a pulley and two masses on a massed pulley?

In a single mass on a pulley system, the mass is being lifted directly by the rope or belt. In a two masses on a massed pulley system, the masses are being lifted by the tension in the rope, which is created by the difference in weight between the two masses. This allows for a more efficient transfer of force and can lift heavier loads.

3. How does the acceleration of the masses on a massed pulley system compare to a single mass on a pulley?

In a single mass on a pulley system, the acceleration is equal to the force applied divided by the mass of the object. In a two masses on a massed pulley system, the acceleration is equal to the difference in weight between the two masses, divided by the total mass of the system. This means that the acceleration is greater in a massed pulley system, allowing for faster movement of the masses.

4. What factors can affect the movement of the masses on a massed pulley system?

The movement of the masses on a massed pulley system can be affected by the weight of the masses, the tension in the rope, and the friction between the rope and the pulley. Additionally, the angle at which the rope is pulled can also impact the movement of the masses.

5. Are there any real-life applications or uses for a massed pulley system?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for a massed pulley system. Some examples include elevators, cranes, and weightlifting equipment. Massed pulley systems are also commonly used in physics experiments and demonstrations to illustrate principles of force and motion.