Two masses attached by a rod orbiting around the Earth

In summary, we have discussed the problem of a satellite consisting of two masses, attached by a rigid-massless rod, orbiting around the Earth at a distance R from the center of the Earth. We assumed that the Earth is stationary and the gravitational attraction between the masses is negligible. By considering the angular frequency of both masses to be the same and using the conservation of angular momentum, we were able to express the accelerations of the masses in terms of the angular velocity and the given distances. By equating the tensions in the rod and solving for the angular velocity, we were able to determine the force exerted by the rod on each mass. We also noted the importance of Helium in this problem.
(Ron)^2=-1
Hello guys! I hope you can give me a hand with this one

Homework Statement

A satellite consisting of two masses attached by a rigid-massless rod of length L, are orbiting around the Earth at a distance R from the centre of the earth. During the entire movement the rod stays oriented in the radial direction. Consider the Earth to be stationary and the gravitational attraction between the masses to be negligible.
IMG_20151114_143600.jpg
A) Find the angular velocity of the satellite and the force the rod exerts on each mass.

Homework Equations

Force of gravity:
For mass 1→ Fg1= -G·Me·m1/R^2

For mass 2 → Fg2= -G·Me·m2/(R+L)^2​

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I did was to consider the angular frequency of both masses to be the same, so:
For mass 1 → T1 = 2π/ω1

For mass 2→T2 = 2π/ω2​

Thus angular velocity ω must be the same for both masses, (is this correct?)

From the conservation of angular momentum (as there is no net torque), considering the centre of momentum to be the centre of the earth, I have the following:
L=L1+L2 ⇒ L=(m1·R^2 + m2·(R+L)^2)·ω​
And as L is constant then:
ω=L/(m1·R^2 + m2·(R+L)^2)
Finally from the equations of motion I got:
For mass 1→ ∑F = Fg1 + Tension1 = m1·a=m1·R·ω^2

For mass 2→ ∑F = Fg2 + Tension2= m2·a=m2·(R+L)·ω^2
So, from this two equations I seem to have everything I need, but I think I'm missing something here and I just can't see what it is
Thank you guys for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(Ron)^2=-1 said:
Thus angular velocity ω must be the same for both masses, (is this correct?)
Sure.

I don't think introducing angular momentum helps, as you do not know its value.

You can express the accelerations (they will be different) in terms of the angular velocity and the given distances.

Likes (Ron)^2=-1
Thanks for your help!
mfb said:
You can express the accelerations (they will be different) in terms of the angular velocity and the given distances.
That's really helpful. So from both equations I'll get:
For mass 1→a1 = R·ω^2
For mass 1 →a2 = (R+L)·ω^2
and then
Tension1 = (G·Me/R^2 + R·ω^2)·m

Tension2 = (G·Me/(R+L)^2+(R+L)·ω^2)·m

(m1=m2=m)
But are tension 1 and 2 the same (in absolute value) but opposite? If so then I think that's all, I can sum the two equations above and solve for ω and then replace to find the tension.

Praise be unto He

Last edited:
(Ron)^2=-1 said:
But are tension 1 and 2 the same (in absolute value) but opposite?
Sure.
(Ron)^2=-1 said:
If so then I think that's all, I can sum the two equations above and solve for ω and then replace to find the tension.
Right.

Helium is important!

Likes (Ron)^2=-1
Great, thank you!

I agree, Helium is important!

1. How does the distance between the two masses affect their orbit around the Earth?

The distance between the two masses does not have a direct impact on their orbit around the Earth. However, it does influence the strength of gravitational force between the two masses, which can affect their orbital speed and trajectory.

2. What factors determine the period of the orbit for the two masses attached by a rod?

The period of the orbit for the two masses is primarily determined by the distance between the masses, the mass of the Earth, and the mass of the two objects. Other factors that may affect the period include the shape and orientation of the orbit, as well as any external forces acting on the system.

3. How does the angle of the rod connecting the two masses affect their orbit?

The angle of the rod does not directly affect the orbit of the two masses. However, it can impact the direction and strength of the gravitational force between the two masses, which can alter their orbital path.

4. Can the two masses orbit at different speeds?

Yes, the two masses can orbit at different speeds depending on their individual masses and the distance between them. The larger the mass, the stronger the gravitational force, which can affect the speed of the orbit.

5. Is it possible for the two masses to collide during their orbit around the Earth?

Yes, it is possible for the two masses to collide during their orbit if their trajectories intersect. This can occur if there are external forces acting on the system or if the orbital path is not perfectly circular.