Two Functions intersect and have equal derivatives at x=a and x=b

In summary, a first-semester Calculus student is asking if two functions that satisfy certain conditions must have identical graphs on a specific interval. Another student provides an example of functions that satisfy the conditions but have nonidentical graphs. Another student explains that such functions can be found by adding a new function F to one of the original functions. The third student provides a specific example of a function F that satisfies the necessary conditions and explains how it was found. The first student asks for a simpler explanation, and the third student provides a visual representation of such functions.
Jay520
Sorry, wasn't sure how to describe the problem in the title.

Homework Statement

Okay, this problem has really been bugging me for a while. It's a question that I thought of when I was daydreaming in class, but now I can't stop thinking about it. I've been going crazy for days Here is the problem:

-

Consider the following information to determine the answer to the question afterward.

• f (0) and g (0) = 0
  • f '(0) and g '(0) = 1
  • f (h) and g (h) = 1
  • f '(h) and g '(h) = 0
  • h is positive constant greater than 1
  • f (x) and g (x) are always concave down on the interval (0, h)
  • f (x) and g (x) are both continuous on the interval (0, h)
  • f (x) and g (x) are both always differentiable on the interval (0, h)

On the interval (0,h), do the graphs of f (x) and g (x) have to be identical?

If not, give the algebraic expression of two functions that satisfy the above conditions and also have nonidentical graphs on the interval (0,h).

The attempt at a solution

I don't believe two functions necessarily have to be identical on the interval with those conditions. However, I can't find two functions to give an example

My first attempt was to use f(x) = sinx as one of the functions, since it satisfies these conditions when h=pi/4.

when f(x) = sinx, and h=pi/4
  • f (0) = 0
  • f '(0) = 1
  • f (pi/4) = 1
  • f '(pi/4) = 0

Now I just needed to find a function g(x) with the same conditions, but has a curve nonidentical to sinx on the interval (0, pi/4). I figured if I manipulate the semi-circle equation, I can obtain a graph with the above characteristics. So I set g(x) = a√(b-cx^2) + d, which is a transformation of the semi-circle equation.

However, after hours upon hours of attempts, I cannot find the values of a, b, c & d to satisfy all three conditions! For example, I can easily get g(0) = 0, g'(0) = 1, and g (pi/4) = 1, but then g '(pi/4) would equal something other than 0. What is happening?

I also tried other functions like the cubic function, function raised to the 1/3 power, etc. but nothing works. There's always one condition unfulfilled.

-

Am I wrong in my thinking that two functions with the given conditions are not necessarily identical? I asked my GSI and he gave me some philosophical nonsense and told me I can figure it out on my own (he's obviously wrong).

PS: Could you explain it in a way that a first-semester Calculus student can understand?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a sin curve vs a square wave with the same periodicity at specific points the value and slope might agree but the functions are clearly different.

Jay520 said:
Sorry, wasn't sure how to describe the problem in the title.

Homework Statement

Okay, this problem has really been bugging me for a while. It's a question that I thought of when I was daydreaming in class, but now I can't stop thinking about it. I've been going crazy for days Here is the problem:

-

Consider the following information to determine the answer to the question afterward.

• f (0) and g (0) = 0
  • f '(0) and g '(0) = 1
  • f (h) and g (h) = 1
  • f '(h) and g '(h) = 0
  • h is positive constant greater than 1
  • f (x) and g (x) are always concave down on the interval (0, h)
  • f (x) and g (x) are both continuous on the interval (0, h)
  • f (x) and g (x) are both always differentiable on the interval (0, h)

On the interval (0,h), do the graphs of f (x) and g (x) have to be identical?

Suppose there exists a function [itex]F: [0,h] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex], which satisfies the following conditions:
  • [itex]F[/itex] is continuous on [itex][0,h][/itex] and differentiable on [itex](0,h)[/itex].
  • [itex]F[/itex] is concave down on [itex](0,h)[/itex].
  • [itex]F(0) = F'(0) = F(h) = F'(h) = 0[/itex].
  • There exists [itex]x \in (0,h)[/itex] such that [itex]F(x) \neq 0[/itex].

Now suppose [itex]f : [0,h] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] satisfies the following:
  • [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex], [itex]f'(0) = 1[/itex], [itex]f(h) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f'(h) = 0[/itex].
  • [itex]f[/itex] is concave down on [itex](0,h)[/itex].
  • [itex]f[/itex] is continuous on [itex][0,h][/itex] and differentiable on [itex](0,h)[/itex].

Then [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g = f + F \neq f[/itex] will satisfy the conditions you have imposed.

All you need do is find such an [itex]F[/itex].

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Consider a sin curve vs a square wave with the same periodicity at specific points the value and slope might agree but the functions are clearly different.

Yeah, that's why I don't think f(x) and g(x) have to be equal. But I can't think of any counterexamples to the proposed question. Can you?

pasmith said:
Suppose there exists a function [itex]F: [0,h] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex], which satisfies the following conditions:
  • [itex]F[/itex] is continuous on [itex][0,h][/itex] and differentiable on [itex](0,h)[/itex].
  • [itex]F[/itex] is concave down on [itex](0,h)[/itex].
  • [itex]F(0) = F'(0) = F(h) = F'(h) = 0[/itex].
  • There exists [itex]x \in (0,h)[/itex] such that [itex]F(x) \neq 0[/itex].

Now suppose [itex]f : [0,h] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] satisfies the following:
  • [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex], [itex]f'(0) = 1[/itex], [itex]f(h) = 1[/itex] and [itex]f'(h) = 0[/itex].
  • [itex]f[/itex] is concave down on [itex](0,h)[/itex].
  • [itex]f[/itex] is continuous on [itex][0,h][/itex] and differentiable on [itex](0,h)[/itex].

Then [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g = f + F \neq f[/itex] will satisfy the conditions you have imposed.

Such a function [itex]F[/itex] exists; for example the solution of the differential equation
[tex]
\frac{d^4 F}{dx^4} = -1
[/tex]
subject to [itex]F(0) = F'(0) = F(h) = F'(h) = 0[/itex].

hmm, I'm a first-semester Calculus student. I assumed the question could be answered using some relatively basic calculus. I've never seen some of the symbols you just used.

I doubt understand your third bullet where you put "F(0) = F'(0) = F(h) = F'(h) = 0." How did you figure that out? Also, for the fourth bullet, I have no idea what that "E" looking character is.

Sorry for the hassle, but could you explain it in a way that a first-semester Calculus student can understand? I may be a few courses away from understanding your response completely.

@Jay520 re your OP: It's easy to draw a few such curves:

curves.jpg

Jay520 said:
hmm, I'm a first-semester Calculus student. I assumed the question could be answered using some relatively basic calculus. I've never seen some of the symbols you just used.

I doubt understand your third bullet where you put "F(0) = F'(0) = F(h) = F'(h) = 0." How did you figure that out?

I want to show that if f and g satisfy the given conditions, then they need not be equal. Thus I want to write [itex]F = g - f[/itex], and show that [itex]F[/itex] doesn't have to be zero everywhere.

Since [itex]f(0) = g(0)[/itex], [itex]f'(0) = g'(0)[/itex], [itex]f(h) = g(h)[/itex] and [itex]f'(h) = g'(h)[/itex] I therefore have [itex]F(0) = F'(0) = F(h) = F'(h) = 0[/itex].

Also, for the fourth bullet, I have no idea what that "E" looking character is.

"[itex]a \in A[/itex]" means "[itex]a[/itex] is a member of the set [itex]A[/itex]".

Related to Two Functions intersect and have equal derivatives at x=a and x=b

1. What does it mean for two functions to intersect?

When two functions intersect, it means that they have at least one point in common on a graph. This point is where the x and y values of the two functions are equal.

2. How can two functions have equal derivatives at x=a and x=b?

This means that the rate of change of the two functions at points a and b are the same. In other words, the slopes of the two functions at these points are equal.

3. What information can we gather from two functions having equal derivatives at two points?

If two functions have equal derivatives at two points, it means that they have the same rate of change at those points. This can help us determine if the functions are increasing or decreasing at those points, and if they have critical points such as maximum or minimum values.

4. Can two functions have equal derivatives at more than two points?

Yes, it is possible for two functions to have equal derivatives at more than two points. This can happen if the functions have the same shape and rate of change at multiple points.

5. How can we use the concept of equal derivatives to solve problems?

The concept of equal derivatives can be used to find the point(s) where two functions intersect, as well as determine the behavior of the functions at those points. It can also be used to find critical points and extrema of functions, which can be helpful in optimization problems.