Two forces applied to object in space find the minimum and maximum acceleration

In summary, when the two forces are acting in the same direction, the object can have a maximum acceleration of 5.0 m/s2.
mganey1
Two forces are applied to a 2 kg object floating out in space. One force has a magnitude of 20 N and the other has magnitude of 30 N. Which of the following represent the minimum and maximum of the possible acceleration that the object can have, depending on the relative directions of the two forces? (consider magnitudes only)
(a) 0.0 m/s2, 15 m/s2
(b) 0.0 m/s2, 10 m/s2
(c) 2.1 m/s2, 4.4 m/s2
(d) 5.0 m/s2, 25.0 m/s2
(e) 0.0 m/s2, 8.3 m/s2

and the correct answer is D

please help I am kind of confused

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mganey1, welcome to PF!

Based on the answer choices given, I'm concluding that this is supposed to be treated as a 1D problem, i.e. forces can only point "to the right" or "to the left." The maximum possible acceleration occurs when both forces act in the same direction, and therefore augment each other (i.e. they both contribute in the same way). The minimum possible acceleration occurs when the two forces act on the object in opposite directions, therefore partly cancelling each other out (i.e. each contributing to the acceleration in the opposite way).

Does that help?

Hi mganey, welcome to PF.
When the two forces are acting in the same direction, the net force is maximum.
Similarly tell me, when the net force will be minimum?

thanks for the help! so does this mean that it is simply a matter of adding and subtracting vectors?

mganey1 said:
thanks for the help! so does this mean that it is simply a matter of adding and subtracting vectors?

Yeah, but since this is a 1D problem, you don't even necessarily need the full vector notation, and can just use positive and negative scalars to distinguish between "to the right" and "to the left" forces, so it reduces to adding together numbers in order to find the net force.

Related to Two forces applied to object in space find the minimum and maximum acceleration

1. What are the two forces that are applied to an object in space?

The two forces that are typically applied to an object in space are thrust and gravity.

2. How do you calculate the minimum acceleration of an object in space?

The minimum acceleration of an object in space can be calculated by dividing the total thrust force applied to the object by its mass.

3. What is the maximum acceleration an object can experience in space?

The maximum acceleration an object can experience in space is dependent on the amount of thrust applied to the object, as well as its mass.

4. How do you determine the total thrust force applied to an object in space?

The total thrust force applied to an object in space can be calculated by taking into account the force of the engines, as well as any other external forces acting on the object, such as air resistance or gravitational pull.

5. How does gravity affect the acceleration of an object in space?

Gravity can either increase or decrease the acceleration of an object in space, depending on its direction and magnitude in relation to the thrust force applied. For example, if the object is moving against the direction of gravity, its acceleration will decrease. However, if the object is moving in the same direction as gravity, its acceleration will increase.