Two elastic ropes, Acceleration and Height Problem

In summary, Fatima's attempt at measuring the acceleration by measuring the angle and halving it to get the force upwards by each rope was not entirely correct. The wording of the problem is vague and incorrect, making it difficult to determine the actual situation. The initial acceleration on release would be affected by the extension of the ropes and the angle they make with the vertical. For part d, the area under the graph represents work, but since the graph is not linear, this method may not be accurate. Instead, using the equation mgh = W, the maximum height reached by Fatima can be calculated. However, the curved shape of the graph may affect the accuracy of this calculation.
Simon981

Homework Statement

As on the paper below:

6F4D2EE4-F98A-4896-865A-D3E826B00A8C.jpeg

5493FE25-F0FA-4D09-A230-B0C69B6D94D7.jpeg

F968E469-1FED-46AB-AB43-61F447CD80FA.jpeg

Homework Equations

Suvat?

The Attempt at a Solution

As on my paper

a) I think I got the acceleration correct by measuring the angle, halving the angle to get the force upwards by each rope. Or is that the wrong answer?

b) Should be half as it’s a linear graph right?

c) I guess I can read Fg off the graph. when Fg and Fel are equal the speed should be max.

d) No idea as to solve this as I’m missing too many variables for Suvat and I think suvat is only for constant a?

e) A seems right to me.

Been stuck on this 1 hour and would love your help! Thanks :)

Attachments

• 6F4D2EE4-F98A-4896-865A-D3E826B00A8C.jpeg
    6F4D2EE4-F98A-4896-865A-D3E826B00A8C.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 775
  • 5493FE25-F0FA-4D09-A230-B0C69B6D94D7.jpeg
    5493FE25-F0FA-4D09-A230-B0C69B6D94D7.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 757
  • F968E469-1FED-46AB-AB43-61F447CD80FA.jpeg
    F968E469-1FED-46AB-AB43-61F447CD80FA.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simon981 said:
I think I got the acceleration correct by measuring the angle, halving the angle to get the force upwards by each rope.
I think you have done what was intended, but it is not really correct.
First, I'm not sure what it means by "the ropes are extended to a length of 20m". Clearly that is wrong since the ravine is 35m deep, so presumably it means extended by 20m. But is that 20m longer than the relaxed length or 20m longer then when Fatima was hanging at the equilibrium position?
Presumably it is the latter, but we do not know what angle the ropes made to the vertical in that position.
If they made angle α then the tension there, T0, satisfies 2T0cos(α)=mg. The extension by ΔL=20m gives a tension T0+kΔL. The initial acceleration on release would be 2(T0+kΔL)cos(β)/m-g=2kΔLcos(β)/m+g(sec(α)cos(β)-1).
Since α>β that is more than 2kΔLcos(β)/m.

Edit:
So maybe it means 20m longer than the relaxed length. This avoids the difficulty described above, but it also means the initial acceleration is much less than you calculated.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
I think you have done what was intended, but it is not really correct.
First, I'm not sure what it means by "the ropes are extended to a length of 20m". Clearly that is wrong since the ravine is 35m deep, so presumably it means extended by 20m. But is that 20m longer than the relaxed length or 20m longer then when Fatima was hanging at the equilibrium position?
Presumably it is the latter, but we do not know what angle the ropes made to the vertical in that position.
If they made angle α then the tension there, T0, satisfies 2T0cos(α)=mg. The extension by ΔL=20m gives a tension T0+kΔL. The initial acceleration on release would be 2(T0+kΔL)cos(β)/m-g=2kΔLcos(β)/m+g(sec(α)cos(β)-1).
Since α>β that is more than 2kΔLcos(β)/m.

Ok thanks. I know what you mean. There is loads of vague / weird / incorrect wording in my opinion. Was my attempt at measuring correct though?

Any idea about d)?

Simon981 said:
b) Should be half as it’s a linear graph right?
Consider what I wrote in respect of a). How might that change the answer?
Note also that the second graph is not linear.

Please also see my edit to my first reply.

haruspex said:
Consider what I wrote in respect of a). How might that change the answer?
Note also that the second graph is not linear.

Sorry but I don't know how I would calculate that. Sorry if it seems easy, but I have 0 knowledge coming into this.

Simon981 said:
Sorry but I don't know how I would calculate that. Sorry if it seems easy, but I have 0 knowledge coming into this.
It tells you that in the higher position the tensions have halved. What else has changed? Think about the geometry.

haruspex said:
It tells you that in the higher position the tensions have halved. What else has changed? Think about the geometry.

The acceleration has halved too?

For c, what value are you using for g. With 10m/s2 I read the graph as saying maximum speed would be reached at 16.1-16.2m. With g as 9.8, even closer to 16m.

Forget it... i see that you revised it from 16.5-17 down to 16.2 already.

Simon981 said:
The acceleration has halved too?
That's not geometry.
Why was I going on about α and β in post #2?

For d, think about energy.

haruspex said:

Sorry I am still stuck. The more I look at it the more confused I am. What is Angle β?

haruspex said:

Ahhhh regarding d)

Area under the Graph in fig.4 is Work. But the graph is not linear. Can I ignore that?

Then it would be 0.5 x 24m x 2476N = 29712Nm or J.

If I say at her highest point EGrav is max, I can say 29712J = m x g x h, giving me a height of 48.5m.

But the curve is not linear, so I'm wondering if I can use my above calculations...

Simon981 said:
What is Angle β?
43.5°/2.

Simon981 said:
But the curve is not linear, so I'm wondering if I can use my above calculations...
Not sure how to advise on that. I would say you are expected to allow for the nonlinearity - that is the point of giving you the graph. But estimating the area looks painful.
First, try to get a lower bound on the area and see how much difference that makes to the answer.

Related to Two elastic ropes, Acceleration and Height Problem

1. How does the acceleration of an object affect the tension in two elastic ropes?

The acceleration of an object does not have a direct effect on the tension in two elastic ropes. The tension is primarily determined by the weight of the object and the angle at which the ropes are attached to the object. However, a higher acceleration may cause the ropes to stretch more, increasing the tension.

2. What happens to the height of an object when the tension in two elastic ropes is increased?

The height of an object will increase when the tension in two elastic ropes is increased. This is because the ropes are pulling on the object and lifting it upwards. The amount of increase in height will depend on the strength and elasticity of the ropes.

3. Can the acceleration of an object be calculated using the tension in two elastic ropes?

Yes, the acceleration of an object can be calculated using the tension in two elastic ropes, as long as the weight of the object and the angle of the ropes are also known. This can be done using the equation F = ma, where F is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

4. How can the angle of the ropes affect the acceleration of an object?

The angle of the ropes can affect the acceleration of an object by changing the direction of the tension force. If the ropes are at a steeper angle, the tension force will have a greater vertical component, resulting in a higher acceleration. On the other hand, a shallower angle will result in a smaller vertical component and a lower acceleration.

5. Is it possible for an object to have zero acceleration while attached to two elastic ropes?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have zero acceleration while attached to two elastic ropes. This can occur when the tension in the ropes is equal to the weight of the object, causing the net force to be zero and the object to remain at a constant height. This is known as a state of equilibrium.