Two dimensional heat equation with source

In summary, the source term can be accounted for by expanding it in a series of eigenfunctions using the Eigenfunction Expansion Method.
Lionheart814
I have the following PDE

PDE: ut=A2(uxx+uyy)+f(x,y,t) such that A is a constant
BC: ux(1,y,t)=0
ux(0,y,t)=0
uy(x,1,t)=0
u(x,0,t)=0
IC: u(x,y,0)=0

I've set up my ODEs using separation of variables to get

X''/X=k1 Y''/Y=k2 T'/(A2)T=k1+k2

where k1 and k2 are constants.
How do I account for my source term (f(x,y,t))? I'm reading up on eigenfunction expansion but so far it's only for the dimensional case.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The source term (f(x,y,t)) can be accounted for by expanding it in a series of eigenfunctions. The technique is known as the Eigenfunction Expansion Method. The idea is to expand the source term as a linear combination of the eigenfunctions of the homogeneous part of the equation. For example, if we have the following PDE:PDE: ut=A2(uxx+uyy)+f(x,y,t) BC: ux(1,y,t)=0ux(0,y,t)=0uy(x,1,t)=0u(x,0,t)=0IC: u(x,y,0)=0We can represent the source term (f(x,y,t)) as an expansion of the eigenfunctions of the corresponding homogeneous equation:f(x,y,t)=∑mn αmnφmn(x,y)θmn(t)where φmn(x,y) are the eigenfunctions of the homogeneous equation and θmn(t) are the corresponding time-dependent coefficients.

Related to Two dimensional heat equation with source

What is a two dimensional heat equation with source?

A two dimensional heat equation with source is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of heat in a two-dimensional space over time, taking into account a source of heat that is added or removed from the system.

What are the variables and parameters in a two dimensional heat equation with source?

The variables in a two dimensional heat equation with source are temperature, time, and position in the two-dimensional space. The parameters include the thermal conductivity of the material, the heat capacity, and the source term which represents the heat being added or removed from the system.

How is a two dimensional heat equation with source solved?

A two dimensional heat equation with source is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods discretize the space and time domains and solve the resulting system of equations to approximate the temperature distribution over time.

What are the applications of a two dimensional heat equation with source?

A two dimensional heat equation with source is commonly used in engineering and physics to model heat transfer and thermal processes. It can be applied to various systems, such as heat exchangers, buildings, and electronic devices, to predict temperature distributions and optimize designs.

What are the limitations of a two dimensional heat equation with source?

A two dimensional heat equation with source assumes certain simplifications, such as constant material properties and a steady-state system. It also does not take into account other factors that may affect heat transfer, such as convection or radiation. Therefore, it may not accurately describe real-world systems and should be used with caution.