Two different demonstrations on the complex plane

In summary, the equation of a circle can be written this way: Re(w)=\frac{x^2+y^2-1}{(x+1)^2+y^2} Im(w)=\frac{2y}{(x+1)^2+y^2}
Telemachus
Hi there, I have to prove this two sentences . I think I've solved the first, but I'm quiet stuck with the second.

The first says:

1) Demonstrate that the equation of a line or a circumference in the complex plane can be written this way: [tex]\alpha z . \bar{z}+\beta z+\bar{\beta} \bar{z}+\gamma=0[/tex], with [tex]\alpha,\gamma\in{R},\beta\in{C}[/tex]

So I called z and beta:

[tex]z=x+iy,\beta=u+iv[/tex]

Then developing the products I get:
[tex]\alpha(x^2+y^2)+2(ux-vy)+\gamma=0[/tex]

And making alpha equal zero I get the equation for a line, right? (for u and v fixed).

Then completing the square and reordering:

[tex]\left(x+\displaystyle\frac{u}{\alpha}\right )^2+\left(y-\displaystyle\frac{v}{\alpha}\right )^2=\displaystyle\frac{u^2}{\alpha^2}+\frac{v^2}{\alpha^2}-\frac{\gamma}{\alpha}[/tex]

This is the equation for the circle, is this right?

In the other hand I got:

2) Prove that the geometrical place for the points [tex]z\in{C}[/tex] that verifies [tex] \left\|{\displaystyle\frac{z-1}{z+1}}\right\|=k[/tex] is a circumference ([tex]k\in{R},1\neq{k}>0[/tex]).

I couldn't make much for this. I called z=x+iy again:

[tex] \left\|{\frac{z-1}{z+1}}\right\|=k\Rightarrow{\left\|{\frac{(x+iy-1)(x-iy+1)}{(x+iy+1)(x-iy+1)}}\right\|=k}\Rightarrow{\left\|{\frac{x^2+y^2+2iy-1}{(x+1)^2+y^2}}\right\|=k}[/tex]

I don't know what to do from there.

Bye.

PS: sorry if it bothers you that I made two questions in the same topic, but I thought it was quiet trivial and it didn't deserved two different topics, but I can split it if necessary.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The thing in the denominator is real by construction (You multiplied it by the complex conjugate). What are the real and imaginary parts of the numerator?

[tex]Re(w)=\frac{x^2+y^2-1}{(x+1)^2+y^2}[/tex]
[tex]Im(w)=\frac{2y}{(x+1)^2+y^2}[/tex]

BTW, is the first exercise right?

Last edited:
The first exercise is correct.

For the second one, a modulus of a complex number:
[tex]
|w| = \sqrt{ \left( \mathrm{Re} w \right)^{2} + \left( \mathrm{Im} w \right)^{2}} = k
[/tex]
Square the equation, get rid off the denominators and simplify the expression. Write what you get.

Actually, it does not seem to correspond to a circumference. The condition

[tex]
\left|\frac{z - 1}{z + 1}\right| = k \Leftrightarrow |z - 1| = k |z + 1|
[/tex]

means that the distance from the point [itex](1, 0)[/itex] is [itex]k[/itex] times bigger than the distance from the point [itex](-1, 0)[/itex]. I am not sure if this is a circle in general.

Actually, scratch what I was saying. Square the above:
[tex]
|z - 1|^{2} = k^{2} |z + 1|^{2}
[/tex]

But, [itex]| w |^{2} = \bar{w} w[/itex], so:
[tex]
(z - 1)(\bar{z} - 1) = k^{2} (z + 1) (\bar{z} + 1)
[/tex]

Simplify this and use part 1 of the problem.

Thank you very much :)

Related to Two different demonstrations on the complex plane

1. What is a complex plane?

A complex plane is a mathematical representation of complex numbers, which are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. The complex plane is a two-dimensional graph, with the horizontal axis representing the real numbers and the vertical axis representing the imaginary numbers.

2. What is the significance of two different demonstrations on the complex plane?

Two different demonstrations on the complex plane can help illustrate different properties and operations of complex numbers. They can also provide visual representations of abstract mathematical concepts, making them easier to understand and apply.

3. How do you plot a complex number on the complex plane?

To plot a complex number on the complex plane, you need to first identify its real and imaginary parts. The real part corresponds to the horizontal axis, while the imaginary part corresponds to the vertical axis. The complex number is then plotted as a point on the plane, with its real part as the x-coordinate and its imaginary part as the y-coordinate.

4. What are some common operations performed on complex numbers on the complex plane?

Some common operations performed on complex numbers on the complex plane include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations can be visualized as transformations on the complex plane, such as translation, rotation, and scaling.

5. How can the complex plane be used in real-life applications?

The complex plane has many real-life applications, particularly in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze systems with both real and imaginary components, such as electrical circuits, quantum mechanics, and financial markets.