Two connected particles resting on a smooth cylinder

In summary, the problem involves two particles of mass m and 2m joined by a model string on the surface of a smooth cylinder. The particles are initially placed symmetrically with both inclined at 45 degrees to the upward vertical and are released from rest. The goal is to derive the equation of motion for P1 and express it in component form. To do this, a force diagram is drawn and the equation for acceleration of a particle moving in a circle is used. This results in an equation involving r'', theta'(squared), and theta''. It is unclear what axis the particles are symmetric about and if they are constrained to the surface of the cylinder. It is also unknown what level of physics this problem is and if knowledge of Lag
Miss Hannah

Homework Statement

Two particles P1 of mass m and P2 of mass 2m are joined by a model string of length piR/2 and placed symmetrically on the surface of a smooth cylinder (i.e. so resting on top). Initially the position of the particles is symetrical with both OP1 and OP2 inclind at an angle of 45 degrees to the upward vertical. The particles are released from rest. After t seconds theta1 and theta2 are the angles P1 and P2 make with the horizontal.

Derive the equation of motion for P1 and express this equation in component form

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First i drew a force diagram and attempted to figure out what was going on.
P1 had N going in the +eR direction, T going in the +eTheta direction, and weight going vertically down. P2 had the same but with -eTheta for the Tension. (Am i right in thinking that the tensions will be the same as no pulleys are acting?)

I then use the equation for acceleration of a particle moving in a circle to work towards my eqn of motion.

i end up with an equation involving r'', theta'(squared) and theta''. and I don't know what to do now.

How do I go from here to equation of motion? What does it mean in component form? Can I split the acceleration up into the radial and tangential directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a bit confused about the problem. About what axis are the two particles symmetric? Are the particles constrained to the surface of the cylinder?

What level physics is this? Are you familiar with Legrangian mechanics or Calculus of Variations?

I have a similar problem and I am confused too...
How you are going to calculate the tension?
It should equal on both particles (different sign) do you need to know the length of string?
Help!

Related to Two connected particles resting on a smooth cylinder

1. What is a "smooth cylinder" in the context of two connected particles?

A smooth cylinder refers to a cylindrical object with a perfectly even surface, meaning there are no bumps, ridges, or imperfections that would cause friction or hinder the movement of the particles.

2. How are the two particles connected on the smooth cylinder?

The two particles are connected by a string or rod that runs through the center of the cylinder. This allows them to move together along the surface of the cylinder without separating.

3. What is the significance of the particles resting on a smooth cylinder?

The smooth cylinder serves as a simplified model for studying the dynamics of particles in motion. By removing the effects of friction and other external forces, scientists can focus on the fundamental principles of motion and energy.

4. How does the smoothness of the cylinder impact the movement of the particles?

The smoothness of the cylinder greatly affects the movement of the particles. If there is no friction, the particles will continue to move in a straight line at a constant speed. However, if there is some friction present, the particles will experience a force that will cause them to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying two connected particles on a smooth cylinder?

Studying the dynamics of two connected particles on a smooth cylinder can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and robotics. It can help in understanding the behavior of systems with minimal friction, designing efficient machines and structures, and developing control systems for robots and other mechanical devices.