Two charged spheres are brought into physical contact with each other.

In summary: I have to know how to do this by tomorrow... what formula should I be using here? Sorry, this is such a noob question to ask haha.. I'm seriously lost though and my head feels like its about to explode.
alittlelost

Homework Statement

Two charged spheres are brought into physical contact with each other. Initially, the charge on the first sphere was 2.34 nC, while the charge on the second sphere was -3.23 nC.

a) What is the final charge (in C)on either charge?(2A)

b) How many electrons moved from the more negative object to the more positive object to achieve charge balance? (1I,3A)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for a) I did (2.34)+(-3.23)/2 and got -0.445nC... That can't be ight can it? what am I doing wrong?

didn't even attempt b) ... I'm so lost.

Physics news on Phys.org

alittlelost said:

Homework Statement

Two charged spheres are brought into physical contact with each other. Initially, the charge on the first sphere was 2.34 nC, while the charge on the second sphere was -3.23 nC.

a) What is the final charge (in C)on either charge?(2A)

b) How many electrons moved from the more negative object to the more positive object to achieve charge balance? (1I,3A)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for a) I did (2.34)+(-3.23)/2 and got -0.445nC... That can't be ight can it? what am I doing wrong?

didn't even attempt b) ... I'm so lost.

I think you got part a) right. Doesn't that give you courage to try part b)?

Dick said:
I think you got part a) right. Doesn't that give you courage to try part b)?

I don't even know where to start.. my brain is fried :(

alittlelost said:
I don't even know where to start.. my brain is fried :(

Maybe be better to try tomorrow. It's not that hard. How many electrons in a nC? How many nC were tranferred?

Dick said:
Maybe be better to try tomorrow. It's not that hard. How many electrons in a nC? How many nC were tranferred?

I have to know how to do this by tomorrow... what formula should I be using here? Sorry, this is such a noob question to ask haha.. I'm seriously lost though and my head feels like its about to explode.

Related to Two charged spheres are brought into physical contact with each other.

What happens when two charged spheres are brought into physical contact?

When two charged spheres are brought into physical contact, electrons will transfer between the two spheres until they have the same charge. This process is known as charge equilibration.

What determines the amount of charge transferred between the two spheres?

The amount of charge transferred between the two spheres depends on the difference in charge between the two spheres and the materials the spheres are made of. Materials with higher conductivity will transfer charge more easily.

Will the two spheres have the same charge after contact?

Yes, the two spheres will have the same charge after contact. This is a result of charge equilibration where electrons transfer between the two spheres until they reach the same charge.

Can the charge transfer between the two spheres be reversed?

Yes, the charge transfer between the two spheres can be reversed by physically separating them. The transferred electrons will redistribute to their original positions, resulting in the spheres having different charges again.

Is there a limit to how much charge can be transferred between the two spheres?

Yes, there is a limit to how much charge can be transferred between the two spheres. This limit is determined by the material properties of the spheres and the strength of the electric field between them.