Charge distribution on spheres

It says that the charge distribution on each sphere is not uniform.To make the problem work, it should have specified that they are kept well apart but connected by a thin wire . That is a very standard formulation.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of two conducting spheres with the same charge density and different radii being brought into contact and separated by a large distance. The question is about the final surface charge densities of the spheres. The conversation explores different approaches to solving the problem, including using the distribution of charges on spheres and the fact that the potential of each sphere is given by V=K(Q/R). However, it is mentioned that this approach may not be accurate for spheres in direct contact and a different approach
Suyash Singh

Homework Statement

Two conducting spheres having same charge density
badadd759c20b0351498736507.png
and with radius “R” & “2R” are brought in contact and separated by large distance. What are their final surface charge densities ?

Homework Equations

No equation in question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried using the fact that distribution of charges on spheres are proportional to their radii but end up with the wrong answer.

Also how to calculate charge distribution for same question but on different shapes.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Suyash Singh,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

According to the forum rules you need to show some details in your attempt at solution. What equations did you use and how did you apply them? What result did you get (even if you believe it to be incorrect)?

Suyash Singh said:
Two conducting spheres having same charge density
badadd759c20b0351498736507-png.png
and with radius “R” & “2R” are brought in contact
The distribution of charge on conducting spheres in direct contact is a very hard problem. It is quite different from two well-separated spheres connected by a wire.
See e.g. http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/twospheres.pdf.

Likes cnh1995
haruspex said:
The distribution of charge on conducting spheres in direct contact is a very hard problem. It is quite different from two well-separated spheres connected by a wire.
See e.g. http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/twospheres.pdf.
Where the following reasoning goes wrong?
"During contact the spheres exchange electric charge so that the final equilibrium is when both have the same potential. The potential of each sphere is given by [tex]V=K\frac{Q}{R}[/tex]" so the equilibrium is when [tex]\frac{Q}{R}=\frac{Q'}{R'}[/tex]"

Likes Suyash Singh
Delta² said:
The potential of each sphere is given by
That's for a sphere in isolation. Each sphere's potential is affected by the charge on the other sphere, and the distributions will not be uniform.

Likes cnh1995
haruspex said:
That's for a sphere in isolation. Each sphere's potential is affected by the charge on the other sphere, and the distributions will not be uniform.
Ok I see but , as also the paper that you linked says, this reasoning is correct for the zero order approximation. This problem probably is given in high school, so for high school physics this approximation can be taken as correct?

Likes Suyash Singh
Delta² said:
Ok I see but , as also the paper that you linked says, this reasoning is correct for the zero order approximation. This problem probably is given in high school, so for high school physics this approximation can be taken as correct?
According to Suyash, that got the wrong answer.

well the answer is 5/3sigma and 5/6 sigma

Delta² said:
"During contact the spheres exchange electric charge so that the final equilibrium is when both have the same potential. The potential of each sphere is given by [tex]V=K\frac{Q}{R}[/tex]" so the equilibrium is when [tex]\frac{Q}{R}=\frac{Q'}{R'}[/tex]"

i did this in my exam too but it doesn't give the correct answer.

by the way its school physics so only basic formulas would be required and everything would be ideal.
I also did this through "charging by contact method" but that also doesn't seem to work:cry:

Suyash Singh said:
it doesn't give the correct answer.
I believe it does give the answer you quote. Please post your working.

here's what i did
let $ be sigma(surface charge density)
k(q)/r=k(q')/2r
whch can be written as
$ pi r r/r=$ pi 4 r r/2r
-$=0
which doesn't make sense

Suyash Singh said:
here's what i did
let $ be sigma(surface charge density)
k(q)/r=k(q')/2r
whch can be written as
$ pi r r/r=$ pi 4 r r/2r
-$=0
which doesn't make sense
They have the same surface charge density and different potentials before they are brought into contact.
When they come into contact, both densities change and the potentials become equal. Only then can you apply k(q)/r=k(q')/2r.

Likes Suyash Singh
Delta² said:
Your approach is OK as far as it goes but you also need to relate charges on the two spheres before and after contact. There is Q and Q' before contact and there is different Q and Q' after contact, but the sum of before & after is constant.

rude man said:
Irrelevant since the spheres are remote from each other after contact.
The charges become redistributed while in contact. Once they lose contact, those charges are fixed. Only the way each charge is distributed changes after that.
To make the problem work, it should have specified that they are kept well apart but connected by a thin wire . That is a very standard formulation.
rude man said:
Your approach is OK as far as it goes but you also need to relate charges on the two spheres before and after contact. There is Q and Q' before contact and there is different Q and Q' after contact, but the sum of before & after is constant.
... as I wrote, and Suyash acknowledged, in post #12.

haruspex said:
The charges become redistributed while in contact. Once they lose contact, those charges are fixed. Only the way each charge is distributed changes after that.
To make the problem work, it should have specified that they are kept well apart but connected by a thin wire . That is a very standard formulation.
The wire is not needed; why should the potentials change relatively once they have made contact?
EDITed again.
@haruspex I will send you a private note, see what you think.

Last edited:
rude man said:
The wire is not needed; why should the potentials change relatively once they have made contact?
While in contact, they share the charge, distributed so as to have the same potential on both surfaces. But what is that potential, and how much charge is on each sphere? This is a tough problem, and as I understand it there is no exact solution.
Did you follow the link I posted?

haruspex said:
... as I wrote, and Suyash acknowledged, in post #12.
??

I wind up with the assumption that the potential, upon contact, whatever it may be, is unchanged for both spheres after they're separated. I still can't rigorously defend that assumption but I'm pretty certain it's assumed in the problem statement, especially since it's supposed to be below college engineering level physics. Connecting the two spheres by a wire as haruspex describes would remove the need for that assumption.

rude man said:
I wind up with the assumption that the potential, upon contact, whatever it may be, is unchanged for both spheres after they're separated.
Very unlikely. While in contact, the potential at each is the result of the charge distribution over both spheres.
Have you read the paper I linked to yet?
Take a look at eqn 4.1 at http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/royprsa/468/2145/2829.full.pdf.

Edit: using that equation I get that for spheres radius R, 2R and total charge Q the potential while in contact is ##\frac Q{2R\ln 3}##. The individual charges are ##\frac Q2\left(1-\frac{\pi\sqrt 3}{9\ln 3}\right)## and ##\frac Q2\left(1+\frac{\pi\sqrt 3}{9\ln 3}\right)##

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Very unlikely. While in contact, the potential at each is the result of the charge distribution over both spheres.
Have you read the paper I linked to yet?
Take a look at eqn 4.1 at http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/royprsa/468/2145/2829.full.pdf.

Edit: using that equation I get that for spheres radius R, 2R and total charge Q the potential while in contact is ##\frac Q{2R\ln 3}##. The individual charges are ##\frac Q2\left(1-\frac{\pi\sqrt 3}{9\ln 3}\right)## and ##\frac Q2\left(1+\frac{\pi\sqrt 3}{9\ln 3}\right)##
Thanks, yes, I looked at it now & I have to compute a couple of d/dx [gamma(x)] at x = 1/3 and x=2/3
but it does look like [γ + ψ(1/3)] / [γ + ψ(2/3)] ≠ 2 is likely.
which it would have to if the potentials did not change. I'll post again when I do the gamma function derivatives.
Thanks very much for this paper!

rude man said:
it does look like [γ + ψ(1/3)] / [γ + ψ(2/3)] ≠ 2
Yes, the charge ratio is about 3.45.

haruspex said:
Yes, the charge ratio is about 3.45.
Thanks for saving me the computation.
Interesting is that the answer to the stated problem is strictly a functon of total initial charge and ratio of radii. No potential computations needed anywhere.

Last edited:
rude man said:
Thanks for saving me the computation.
Interesting is that the answer to the stated problem is strictly a functon of total initial charge and ratio of radii. No potential computations needed anywhere.
Not sure what you mean. Maxwell would have had to work in terms of potentials to arrive at eqn 4.1.

Did you look at how the equations are obtained in that paper? It uses the method of images to show that (as far as the field outside the spheres is concerned) the charges on the spheres can be represented by infinite sequences of point charges along the axis. I assume Maxwell did the same,

haruspex said:
Not sure what you mean. Maxwell would have had to work in terms of potentials to arrive at eqn 4.1.
Yes, but we didn't! All we needed was eq. 4.1 divided by eq.4.3 which he did for us, then I worked solely with Qa/Qb before & after contact. The potential canceled for that ratio.

I trusted Maxwell so did not look further into that derivation. In fact I don't remember seeing it in the paper, it appeared to be a given.

rude man said:
I trusted Maxwell so did not look further into that derivation. In fact I don't remember seeing it in the paper, it appeared to be a given.
I did not mean specifically the derivation of 4.1. Both papers I linked to use the method of images, and 4.1 was very likely obtained the same way.

haruspex said:
I did not mean specifically the derivation of 4.1. Both papers I linked to use the method of images, and 4.1 was very likely obtained the same way.
The only part of the paper I found relevant was eqs. 4.1 and 4.3, which were derived by maxwell aroud 1891. I was not interested in the rest of the paper which seemingly dealt with attractive & repulsive forces. Thanks again for finding this paper.

Related to Charge distribution on spheres

What is charge distribution on spheres?

Charge distribution on spheres refers to the way electric charge is spread or distributed on the surface of a spherical object. It is important to understand this concept in order to calculate the electric field or potential of the sphere.

How is charge distributed on a conducting sphere?

On a conducting sphere, the electric charge is distributed uniformly on the surface. This means that the charge is spread out evenly and the electric field is the same at all points on the surface.

What is the formula for calculating the electric field on a charged sphere?

The electric field on a charged sphere can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r², where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point where the field is being measured.

How does the charge distribution affect the electric potential on a sphere?

The charge distribution on a sphere affects the electric potential in that the potential is directly proportional to the charge on the sphere and inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that a larger charge or a closer distance will result in a higher electric potential.

What is the difference between a uniformly charged sphere and a non-uniformly charged sphere?

A uniformly charged sphere has a constant charge distribution on its surface, while a non-uniformly charged sphere has a varying charge distribution. This means that the electric field and potential will also vary on a non-uniformly charged sphere.