Two cars collide, find temperature change

In summary, two cars collide head on at 80 km/hr, converting all their kinetic energy into thermal energy of the wrecks. The specific heat of iron is used to determine the temperature increase of each car, resulting in a wrong answer of 549.9 K due to incorrect unit conversions and possibly other errors. The user is seeking assistance to solve the problem.
Flip18064

Homework Statement

Two cars collide head on while each is traveling at 80 km/hr. Suppose all their kinetic energy is transformed into the thermal energy of the wrecks. What is the temperature increase of each car? (Assume each car's specific heat is that of iron)

Homework Equations

K = .5mv^2
Q = cm(delta T)
iron specific heat = .449 J/(g*K)

The Attempt at a Solution

K = 2(.5m(22.2)^2) = 492.8m

(converted 80 km/hr to m/s)

Q = 492.8m = (.449)(2m)T
T = 548.8 K
= 275.6 C

Which is the wrong answer. I don't know what i am doing wrong. Can someone please help me. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for one, there is no reason to convert your units. You calculated a [tex]\Delta T[/tex], not a temperature, and [tex] \Delta °C = \Delta K[/tex]. Is the correct answer 549.9 K?

Oh yeah, I see what your saying. However 549 is still the wrong answer, so i must be doing something else wrong too.

Can anyone help me? I am really stuck...

Related to Two cars collide, find temperature change

1. What is the science behind a car collision?

When two cars collide, kinetic energy is transferred from one car to the other. This energy can cause changes in the internal energy of the cars, including changes in temperature.

2. How does temperature change during a car collision?

During a car collision, the temperature of the cars can increase due to the transfer of kinetic energy. This increase in temperature is caused by the friction and deformation of the cars during the collision.

3. Can temperature change be measured after a car collision?

Yes, temperature change can be measured after a car collision using a thermometer. The temperature change may not be significant, but it can still be detected and measured.

4. What factors can affect the temperature change during a car collision?

The temperature change during a car collision can be affected by factors such as the speed and mass of the cars, the angle of collision, and the materials of the cars.

5. Is the temperature change the same for all types of car collisions?

No, the temperature change can vary depending on the type of car collision. For example, a head-on collision may result in a higher temperature change compared to a rear-end collision.