Two body orbital system question

In summary, the conversation discusses the observed period of the binary system Cygnus X-1 and its relationship to the semi-major axis. The period is equal to 5.6 days and the visible star has a mass of 20 times the mass of the sun while the black hole has a mass of 16 times the mass of the sun. It is shown that the semi-major axis of the black hole relative to the visible star is roughly 1/5 the distance from the Earth to the sun. The conversation also mentions Kepler's laws and an initial mistake in calculations.
^_^physicist

Homework Statement

The observed period of the binary system Cygnus X-1, presumed to be a bright star and a black hole, is equal to 5.6 days. If the mass of the visable (the star) is 20*Mass of the Sun, and the black hole has a mass 16*Mass of the Sun, show taht the semimajor axis of the orbit of the black hole relative to the visable star is roughly 1/5 the distance from the Earth to the sun.

Homework Equations

Period (using AU) relationship to semimajor axis of a system

T = [m,sub 1 + m, sub 2]^(-1/2)*a^3/2, where 'a' is the semi-major axis and both values of 'm' are given in units of mass of the sun.

Reduced mass: (m,sub 1)*(m,sub 2)/((m, sub 1)+(m, sub 2))

Postion vector of particle 1 relative to particle 2

R= (r(from center of mass), sub 1)*(1+ ratio of masses)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not entirly sure where to go with this, however, I did calculate some values so far:

u= 8.888*Mass of Sun
a= .020384 AU, note that the value of this semi-major axis is for the binary system as a whole, not relative to either one of the points.

Any ideas where to go with all of this?

(I am still working at it, but a hint would be nice)

Physics news on Phys.org
Binary stars obey Kepler's laws.

I will be retracting my question...

After stareing at the question for a good 3 hours, my brain kicked in and noticed that I had done a simple math mistake (seriously, I moved the decimal place over 1 too many). I guess that's what I get when I do homework late at night.

sorry of the stupid question.

Related to Two body orbital system question

1. What is a two body orbital system?

A two body orbital system refers to a system where two objects, such as planets or satellites, are gravitationally bound to each other and revolve around a common center of mass.

2. What determines the orbit of a two body system?

The orbit of a two body system is determined by the mass and distance between the two objects, as well as their initial velocities and the laws of gravity.

3. How do you calculate the orbital period of a two body system?

The orbital period of a two body system can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(a^3/G(m1+m2)), where T is the orbital period, a is the distance between the two objects, G is the gravitational constant, and m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects.

4. Can two objects in a two body system have the same orbital period?

Yes, it is possible for two objects in a two body system to have the same orbital period if they have the same mass and are at the same distance from each other.

5. How does the shape of the orbit in a two body system vary?

The shape of the orbit in a two body system can vary depending on the initial conditions, such as the objects' velocities and the direction of their motion. It can be circular, elliptical, or even parabolic or hyperbolic if the objects have enough velocity to escape each other's gravitational pull.