Simplifying a two-particle system to a one-body problem

In summary, my professor told me that d/dx1 = (dX/dx1)(d/dX) + (dx/dx1)(d/dx) and that this looks vaguely like the chain rule, but it isn't anything I've seen before. He told me that, since x and X are function of x1, their derivatives need to be taken into account when taking d/dx1. I don't really know what to make of that.
batclocks
Homework Statement
Griffiths Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, 3rd ed. Problem 5.1: "A typical interaction potential depends only on the vector displacement r=r1-r2 between the two particles: V(r1, r2) --> V(r). In that case the Schrödinger equation separates, if we change variables from r1, r2 to r and
R=(m1r1+m2r2)/(m1+m2) (the center of mass).

a) Show that r1=R+(μ/m1)r, r2=R-(μ/m2)r, and ∇1=(μ/m2)∇R+∇r, ∇2=(μ/m1)∇R-∇r"
Relevant Equations
∇=i(d/dx)+j(d/dy)+k(d/dz)
The first part is actually fine. You just note that since
r=r1+r2
that means
r1=r+r2 and r2=r1-r
and you substitute that into the center of mass, R, and simplify to get
r1=R+(μ/m1)r, and r2=R-(μ/m2)r

But the next part is where I'm very confused.
The general idea is that you want to prove
1 = (μ/m2)∇R + ∇r and ∇2 = (μ/m1)∇R - ∇r

But you really only need to do this for one component of ∇, so you let
r1 = (x1, y1, z1); r2 = (x2, y2, z2); R = (X, Y, Z); and
r = (x, y, z)

and this is where I get confused. The solution posted by my professor said that
d/dx1 = (dX/dx1)(d/dX) + (dx/dx1)(d/dx)

This looks vaguely like the chain rule, but it isn't anything I've seen before. He told me that, since x and X are function of x1, their derivatives need to be taken into account when taking d/dx1. I don't really know what to make of that. I think I just straight up don't understand the math. He said "that's just how we take derivatives," but I don't think I've ever seen a derivative defined like that before.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @batclocks, :welcome: !

You have a $$\Psi({\bf r}_1, {\bf r}_2) = \Psi(x_1, y_1, z_1,x_2, y_2, z_2)$$ that you now write as
$$\Psi'({\bf R}, {\bf r}) = \Psi'\bigl ({\bf R}(x_1, y_1, z_1,x_2, y_2, z_2), {\bf r}(x_1, y_1, z_1,x_2, y_2, z_2)\bigr )$$

The first component of ##\nabla_1## is ##\displaystyle {\partial \Psi\over\partial x_1}\ ##, ##\ \ ##the first component of e.g. ##\nabla_R## is ##\displaystyle {\partial \Psi'\over\partial R_x}\ ##, ##\ \ ##and -- now comes this chain rule -- you get:
$${\partial \Psi\over\partial x_1} = {\partial \Psi'\over\partial R_x} {\partial R_x\over\partial x_1} + {\partial \Psi'\over\partial r_x} {\partial r_x\over\partial x_1} = (\nabla{\bf R})_x {\mu\over m_2} +(\nabla{\bf r})_x$$

and that's all. What is confusing to ordinary folks like me is the notation: you have to imagine all these things are operators: they work on a function ##\Psi## (c.q. ##\Psi'##) that you have to fill in yourself.

If this still causes trouble, look at ##f(x) = cos( 2x)##, substitute ##y = 2x## and look at ##\displaystyle {d\over dx} g(y) ##

(then you also see why I use a ##\Psi## and a ##\Psi'## )

Likes PeroK and batclocks
BvU said:
$${\partial \Psi\over\partial x_1} = {\partial \Psi'\over\partial R_x} {\partial R_x\over\partial x_1} + {\partial \Psi'\over\partial r_x} {\partial r_x\over\partial x_1}$$
Okay, in this case you've written it in a different order and it makes tons of sense. The way I have it written up there is $${\partial \over\partial x_1} = {\partial R_x\over\partial x_1}{\partial \over\partial R_x} + {\partial r_x\over\partial x_1}{\partial \over\partial r_x}$$

But (and I didn't think of it this way until you threw they ##\Psi'## in there) you can just switch the order because it's only multiplication, which is commutative (duh).

And the thing that would lead you to express ##{\partial \over\partial x_1}## operator in this way is the fact that we know we are acting on a ##\Psi'## that is a function of R and r.

Thank you so much for the help!

Likes BvU

Related to Simplifying a two-particle system to a one-body problem

1. What is a two-particle system?

A two-particle system refers to a physical system that consists of only two particles, such as two atoms, two molecules, or two subatomic particles. These particles interact with each other through various forces, such as gravitational or electromagnetic forces.

2. Why is it useful to simplify a two-particle system to a one-body problem?

Simplifying a two-particle system to a one-body problem allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of the system more easily. It reduces the complexity of the system and allows us to make simplifying assumptions, making it easier to solve mathematically.

3. How is a two-particle system simplified to a one-body problem?

A two-particle system can be simplified to a one-body problem by treating the two particles as a single combined particle with an effective mass and position. This is possible because the particles interact with each other and can be considered as a single entity.

4. What are some examples of a two-particle system being simplified to a one-body problem?

One example is the motion of two planets orbiting each other, which can be simplified to a one-body problem by treating the two planets as a single body with a combined mass located at the center of mass of the system. Another example is the interaction between an electron and a proton in a hydrogen atom, which can be simplified to a one-body problem by considering the electron's orbit around the proton as the motion of a single particle.

5. Are there any limitations to simplifying a two-particle system to a one-body problem?

Yes, there are limitations to this simplification. It is only applicable when the two particles are close enough to each other that their individual motions can be considered as the motion of a single particle. Additionally, this simplification may not accurately represent the system if the particles have significantly different masses or if the forces between them are complex.