Two Blocks Inelastic Collision with Spring

In summary: Sorry, I forgot to include what I was solving for! I am solving for the maximum distance that the spring compresses. I figured out that I had to use the impulse-momentum equation to find the velocity when both blocks are stuck together. Afterwards, I plugged my new velocity in the work-energy theorem with the spring expression ##\frac{1}{2} kx^2 = \frac{1}{2} (m_1+m_2)v^2_f## and solved for x to get my final answer.
radiantvibe

Homework Statement

A solid block of mass m2 = 8.1 kg, at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface, is connected to a relaxed spring. The other end of the spring is fixed, and the spring constant is k = 230 N/m. Another solid block of mass m1 = 4.0 kg and speed v1 = 5.1 m/s collides with the 8.1 kg block. The blocks stick together, and compress the spring.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm still trying to grasp the concept of energy, as well as laTeX, but I have so far is:

Winitial=Wfinal

##\frac{1}{2} m_1 v_1,i^2 = \frac{1}{2} (m_1+m_2) v_f^2 - \frac{1}{2} kx^2##

where $$v_f= \frac{m_1 v_1i + m_2 v_2i}{m_1+m_2}$$

Solving for vf, I got 3.41 m/s, assuming v2i equals 0 m/s, however, I feel like this is where I'm going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is there no term in your energy equation accounting for loss during collision in terms of heat and sound (which is nothing but vibrations for surrounding air molecules) energies?
Hint: you won't be able to solve this using energy equation. Think of something else. Another approach. And after you are done with the solution find out the value of the term I mentioned above.

What exactly does the question ask you to solve for? It would appear you are trying to solve for the velocity of the blocks at the time that the spring has reached its maximum compression. Your work seems correct so far.

AlephNumbers said:
What exactly does the question ask you to solve for? It would appear you are trying to solve for the velocity of the blocks at the time that the spring has reached its maximum compression. Your work seems correct so far.

Sorry, I forgot to include what I was solving for! I am solving for the maximum distance that the spring compresses. I figured out that I had to use the impulse-momentum equation to find the velocity when both blocks are stuck together. Afterwards, I plugged my new velocity in the work-energy theorem with the spring expression ##\frac{1}{2} kx^2 = \frac{1}{2} (m_1+m_2)v^2_f## and solved for x to get my final answer.

radiantvibe said:

Homework Statement

A solid block of mass m2 = 8.1 kg, at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface, is connected to a relaxed spring. The other end of the spring is fixed, and the spring constant is k = 230 N/m. Another solid block of mass m1 = 4.0 kg and speed v1 = 5.1 m/s collides with the 8.1 kg block. The blocks stick together, and compress the spring.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm still trying to grasp the concept of energy, as well as laTeX, but I have so far is:

Winitial=Wfinal

Solving for vf, I got 3.41 m/s, assuming v2i equals 0 m/s, however, I feel like this is where I'm going wrong.
Your post is rather confusing because of numerous typos. It certainly confused Vatsal.
Haven't you swapped the two masses in your calculation of "vf"?

ya it did confuse me. I just saw an energy conservation equation whose left hand side part made no sense.

radiantvibe said:

For the LaTeX :

Any more than a single symbol in a subscript or superscript requires you to enclose the the several symbols in braces, { } . Liberal use of braces (they don't show up) can help in many other cases too.

You had: ## \text{##\frac{1}{2} m_1 v_1,i^2 = \frac{1}{2} (m_1+m_2) v_f^2 - \frac{1}{2} kx^2##} ##

Instead do the following ##\text{## \frac{1}{2} m_1 v_{1,i}^{\ 2} = \frac{1}{2} (m_1+m_2) v_f^{\ 2} - \frac{1}{2} kx^2 ##}##

To get ## \frac{1}{2} m_1 v_{1,i}^{\ 2} = \frac{1}{2} (m_1+m_2) v_f^{\ 2} - \frac{1}{2} kx^2 ##

## \text{##v_f= \frac{m_1 v_{1,i} + m_2 v_{2,i}}{m_1+m_2}##}## gives
$$v_f= \frac{m_1 v_{1,i} + m_2 v_{2,i}}{m_1+m_2}$$

Last edited:

Related to Two Blocks Inelastic Collision with Spring

1. What is a two blocks inelastic collision with spring?

A two blocks inelastic collision with spring is a physics scenario where two objects of different masses collide with each other and are connected by a spring. In an inelastic collision, the objects stick together after the collision and continue to move as one unit.

2. How is the spring involved in the collision?

The spring is used to absorb the kinetic energy of the colliding objects, causing them to stick together. The spring will then store this energy as potential energy. This is known as an inelastic collision because energy is lost during the collision.

3. What factors affect the outcome of the collision?

The masses of the two objects, the initial velocities of the objects, and the spring constant of the spring all affect the outcome of the collision. The type of surface the objects are colliding on can also have an impact.

4. How does momentum play a role in a two blocks inelastic collision with spring?

In a closed system, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the momentum of the objects before the collision will be equal to the momentum of the combined objects after the collision.

5. Can the kinetic energy be conserved in a two blocks inelastic collision with spring?

No, in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost due to the objects sticking together and the spring absorbing some of the energy. However, the total energy (kinetic + potential) will remain constant in a closed system.