Twins question and skin color question

• Thread starter The Raven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color Skin
In summary, when identical twins marry identical twins and have children, their offspring will share some DNA similarities as siblings. And while it is possible for skin color to change over time due to natural selection, modernization and access to sunscreen can make this less likely to occur. There may still be some selection for skin color, particularly in less modern societies, due to factors such as vitamin D production and skin cancer risk.
The Raven
Hello, I have some question I want to ask.

1) Let's say there identical twins marry identical twins, and they have baby's would the baby's of the two families share the same DNA as if they were brothers?

If someone didn't understand I mean: male and female which have identical brother or sister give birth to a baby, and their brother and sister also produce an offspring, will those two offspring’s have the DNA closeness of brothers or sisters?

Skin Color

From what I understand is that when the homo sapien migrated from Africa to Europe he had no need for high melanin level. (I am almost sure this is not true). So basically the question is let's say a group of people (2000) With black skin color come to a country such as Norway and not be mixing with the general population, will after a couple of hundreds of years their offspring’s have very lighter skin color?

If I am wrong then, how come there are many different skin colors in the world?

Biology news on Phys.org
The Raven said:
Hello, I have some question I want to ask.

1) Let's say there identical twins marry identical twins, and they have baby's would the baby's of the two families share the same DNA as if they were brothers?

If someone didn't understand I mean: male and female which have identical brother or sister give birth to a baby, and their brother and sister also produce an offspring, will those two offspring’s have the DNA closeness of brothers or sisters?
Yes, they would be as similar as one would expect siblings to be, which is not to say they have the identical DNA, but they would share some.

Skin Color

From what I understand is that when the homo sapien migrated from Africa to Europe he had no need for high melanin level. (I am almost sure this is not true). So basically the question is let's say a group of people (2000) With black skin color come to a country such as Norway and not be mixing with the general population, will after a couple of hundreds of years their offspring’s have very lighter skin color?

If I am wrong then, how come there are many different skin colors in the world?
Evolution doesn't happen by intent, so there's no guarantee the same thing would ever happen again...putting an organism into a new climate doesn't cause them to mutate; spontaneously occurring mutations allow them to migrate into new climates. Does that distinction make sense? It's one of the more commonly misunderstood things about evolution.

Also, in the modern world, there's no selection against particular skin colors. Someone with pale skin can slather on sunscreen and survive fine in an equatorial or desert climate. Someone adapted to the heat can wear additional layers of clothing outdoors, and turn on the heat indoors, and survive just fine. Modernization has made those regional adaptations irrelevant.

Still, it's likely that the skin color of people in that group would grow lighter over time (through natural selection), since this is what has happened to many different human groups when they moved to colder or less sunny climates. It would probably take a lot longer that a few hundred years to make a significant difference, though.

I think there probably is still selection on skin color now. First of all, not all societies are as modern as our own. Even when people have access to sunscreen they often don't use it. Light skinned people in sunny climates do have higher rates of skin cancer. This will probably become even more important in the future because of the damage to the ozone layer. Also, one reason for having light skin in cold climates is for vitamin D formation. In places with less sun, it's better to have lighter skin so more UV rays can get through to form vitamin D. Yes, vitamin D can be added to food, but dark skinned people in cold climates still often don't get enough. Rickets caused by vitamin D deficiency is increasingly common in black children living in cold climates.
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/he...sheds_light_on_how_racial_disparities_happen/

Related to Twins question and skin color question

1. What causes twins to have different skin colors?

Twins can have different skin colors due to the fact that they may have inherited different genetic traits from their parents. This can result in one twin having more melanin, the pigment responsible for skin color, than the other.

2. Can twins have different skin colors if they are identical?

While it is rare, it is possible for identical twins to have different skin colors. This can occur if there are genetic mutations or epigenetic changes during development that cause differences in the expression of genes responsible for skin color.

3. Do twins with different skin colors share the same DNA?

Yes, twins with different skin colors still share the same DNA. However, they may have different variations of genes that control skin color, resulting in different levels of melanin production.

4. Can environmental factors influence the skin color of twins?

Yes, environmental factors such as exposure to sunlight can influence the skin color of twins. However, it is important to note that genetics play a larger role in determining skin color.

5. Is there a correlation between the skin color of twins and their health?

There is no direct correlation between the skin color of twins and their health. However, certain skin tones may be more prone to certain skin conditions or diseases, but this is not always the case and can vary greatly among individuals.