Tuition Plan B: Win & Justify Gaming to Parents!

• Thread starter 1oldman2
  • Start date
In summary, the contest is a marketing ploy by "Blizz" to get people to invest time in video games, with the potential to win a free college education. Some people think that the amount of time that players put into training is not worth the reward, while others think that the prize is worth the effort.
1oldman2
And if you win you could justify all that time in front of the monitor to your parents.
Seriously though, I posted this to get an idea of members opinions on the contest. Seems to me the winner will get one sweet deal, the rest may invest a lot of time better spent on education but I guess the gamers are going to game regardless of the contest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone who spends most of their waking time playing video games can hardly be called a "hero". And it's an insult to real athletes to refer to competitive gaming as a "sport".

dipole said:
Someone who spends most of their waking time playing video games can hardly be called a "hero". And it's an insult to real athletes to refer to competitive gaming as a "sport".

I would prefer to see this kind of thing at universities than (American) football.

-Dave K

Likes 1oldman2
dipole said:
It really comes down to "Hero" being a somewhat relative term, depending on ones tastes and values, (myself I think L. George said it pretty well in)...

I prefer the studio version but the live isn't to bad either, (once again a matter of personal taste).
While the contest really comes down to another marketing angle by "Blizz" it does bring out a rather competitive aspect of "sports" (consider E A's string of sports related games over the last decade or so). The upside in this case is someone gets a free college education and some serious bragging rights to justify the time invested. There is a fine line between competitive gaming and traditional sports, the operative word would have to be "competitive".

As someone who was a gamer, albeit no where near good enough to be professional, I think the amount of time the players put into training is not worth the reward. For heroes of the dorm, most of the players who end up winning are seniors anyway, so they end up getting one year of tuition. If the player goes to a state university, I can hardly justify playing for 5-10 hours a day for something that might be $10-25k in tuition reimbursement.

I got 30812 points playing 2048 last night.
That and $5 will get me a cup of Starbuck's coffee.

1. What is "Tuition Plan B: Win & Justify Gaming to Parents!"?

"Tuition Plan B: Win & Justify Gaming to Parents!" is a strategy that aims to convince parents to support their child's interest in gaming as a potential source of income for paying for college tuition.

2. How does "Tuition Plan B" work?

The plan involves presenting research and data that show the potential for success and financial stability in the gaming industry, as well as discussing the transferable skills and benefits that gaming can provide, such as problem-solving, teamwork, and technological proficiency.

3. What are some common objections from parents and how can they be addressed?

Some common objections include concerns about the time and dedication required for gaming, the potential negative effects on academic performance, and the lack of stability in the industry. These can be addressed by emphasizing the importance of time management and balance, highlighting the potential for growth and career opportunities in the gaming industry, and discussing the support and resources available for gamers.

4. Are there any success stories or examples of "Tuition Plan B" working?

Yes, there are many success stories of individuals who have used gaming as a means to pay for their education. For example, professional gamer and streamer Tyler "Ninja" Blevins used his earnings to pay for his college tuition. Additionally, there are numerous scholarships and programs available for gamers, such as the Twitch Student program and the University of California, Irvine's Esports program.

5. How can I approach my parents about "Tuition Plan B"?

It is important to have a mature and respectful conversation with your parents about your interest in gaming and your desire to pursue it as a potential source of income for college. Be prepared to present evidence and data to support your argument and address any concerns they may have. It may also be helpful to involve a mentor or professional in the gaming industry to provide additional insight and support.