Tschirnhausen Curve: Finding Tangents at a Given Point

• MHB
  • Thread starter tc903
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orthogonal
In summary, the given families of curves are not orthogonal trajectories of each other. The problem involves finding the tangent line and points of horizontal tangency for a curve defined by the equation {y}^{2} = {x}^{3}+3{x}^{2}, where the point (1,2) is given. The Tshirnhausen curve is solved using implicit differentiation, but care must be taken not to divide by 0 when finding the derivative. The correct answers for the points of horizontal tangency are (-2,2) and (-2,-2).
tc903
Are the given families orthogonal trajectories of each other?

\(\displaystyle {x}^{2}+{y}^{2} = ax \)
\(\displaystyle {x}^{2}+{y}^{2} = by \)

I first started by finding them implicitly.

\(\displaystyle \frac{2x+a}{2y} = y' \)
\(\displaystyle \frac{2x+b}{2y} = y' \)

Then the problem wanted me to sketch my answer.

The Tschirnhausen, I solved. I just would like a better explanation.

\(\displaystyle {y}^{2} = {x}^{3}+3{x}^{2} \) Given \(\displaystyle \left(1,2\right)\) find the tangent.

I found the tangent line. \(\displaystyle \frac{9}{4}x-\frac{1}{4}\)

Then the points where there was horizontal tangent. I take the terms in the numerator and set it equal to zero. \(\displaystyle 3{x}^{2}+6x = 0 \implies 3x\left(x+2\right)=0 \implies x = 0, -2\) Then I would substitute those values in for \(\displaystyle x\) as my answers, but that is wrong, at least when \(\displaystyle x = 0\). My answer should be \(\displaystyle \left(-2,2\right) and \left(-2,-2\right)\). I was just wondering what I am missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
The short answer to your question about the Tshirnhausen curve is that when finding the derivative by implicit differentiation, you must not, as always, divide by 0. So if y is 0 your expression for y' is not right. The longer answer follows:

b67dit.png

dy23q1.png

1t2za0.png

69137d.png

2wfmoh5.png

28s2f6e.png

25z10lw.png

Related to Tschirnhausen Curve: Finding Tangents at a Given Point

1. What is the difference between Orthogonal and Tschirnhausen?

Orthogonal and Tschirnhausen are two different methods used in mathematics for finding solutions to polynomial equations. The main difference between the two is that Orthogonal focuses on finding solutions through geometric constructions, while Tschirnhausen uses algebraic methods.

2. How do you use the Orthogonal method to solve polynomial equations?

The Orthogonal method involves constructing lines and circles that intersect at certain points, which can then be used to find the roots of a polynomial equation. This method is based on the concept of orthogonal polynomials, which are a set of polynomials that are perpendicular to each other when graphed on a coordinate plane.

3. What is the Tschirnhausen transformation?

The Tschirnhausen transformation is a mathematical transformation that can be applied to a polynomial equation to simplify it and make it easier to solve. This transformation involves substituting a new variable for the existing one in the equation, which can eliminate certain terms and make the equation more manageable.

4. Can Orthogonal and Tschirnhausen be used together?

Yes, Orthogonal and Tschirnhausen can be used together to solve polynomial equations. In fact, the two methods complement each other and can be used in combination to find more accurate solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of Orthogonal and Tschirnhausen?

Orthogonal and Tschirnhausen have various applications in different fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics. For example, Orthogonal is used in computer graphics to create 3D shapes and in physics to model the behavior of particles. Tschirnhausen is commonly used in engineering to solve equations related to motion and in robotics to plan efficient movements.