Trying to understand why integration is inverse of differentiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between integration and differentiation, and the question of why these two operations are inverse. The conversation includes a geometric explanation using the area under a curve and the concept of infinitesimal columns. The conversation also discusses the idea of finding the derivative of the integral and the role of the fundamental theorem of calculus. However, the conversation does not provide a clear geometric proof for the inverse relationship between integration and differentiation, and the question remains unanswered.
Taturana
Greetings,

We know that the two operations (integration and differentiation) are inverse. I mean, if you integrate a function and differentiate the result of the first operation you go back to the first function. But I'm trying to understand WHY. Of course there are a lot of mathematical proofs for this, but I want to understand it intuitively, so I'm trying to understand it geometrically.

I had some progress with the following thought. But it doesn't prove my main question.

Consider the following:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6942/integ.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have a random function at the left. I want to calculate the area under its graph from, say, x = 0 to x = 2, so I need to integrate. Geometrically I can divide the area under the graph into small columns (like the green one). Now, in order to calculate the total area under the graph I need to calculate all these columns areas and sum them.

The columns are going to be infinitely small, so if I zoom I will have something like a triangle in the top of the column and a big rectangle from the bottom of the triangle to the x axis. Now to calculate the area of this column, you calculate the area of the rectangle, the area of the triangle and sum them.

Here the differentiation comes in. In order to calculate the area of the triangle, I need to have the value of it's height. And the height of the triangle can be calculated using the tangent of angle theta (the derivative of the function at that x point). Now you do math, take the limits etc etc.

Okay, I already proved that the integration and the differentiation have an intrinsic relation: when I'm integrating (i.e. calculating the area under the curve) I'm constantly getting the derivative at every x's axis point inside the area.

But it doesn't prove that the derivative is the inverse operation of the integration (the antidifferentiation I mean).

Does anyone have any idea of how to prove that (geometrically)?

Thank you for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of this integral, with respect to your image:

[tex]I(a)=\int_0^a f(x) dx[/tex] a is your endpoint, and obviously the integral changes as you change a. Now, we want to understand why the derivative of I gives back f(x). Basically, think of a changing from some value b to b+epsilon. The amount that a changes between these two points is effectively the derivative. Now, it should be quite clear that by performing this kind of operation step by epsilon step you will begin to outline the shape of the function. Does this help?

Your green region is just the increment in the area from x to x + delta x. the Newton quotient is this area increment divided by delta x and is thus the average height of the function in the green region. As delta x goes to zero this average becomes the value of the function at the left end point.

I honestly don't see how this knowledge(or more like understanding) is going to benefit you.

From all I know...Integration is the process of finding areas, volumes etc under curves. The fundamental theorem of calculus is able to use the primitive of the curve to find the area under the curve. So technically, you should be saying that diffentiating and finding the primitive are inverse operations.

lol sorry if I didnt help. I'm quite weak in everything here compared to everyone else

Thank you all for the replies.

shaiguy6 said:
Think of this integral, with respect to your image:

[tex]I(a)=\int_0^a f(x) dx[/tex] a is your endpoint, and obviously the integral changes as you change a. Now, we want to understand why the derivative of I gives back f(x). Basically, think of a changing from some value b to b+epsilon. The amount that a changes between these two points is effectively the derivative. Now, it should be quite clear that by performing this kind of operation step by epsilon step you will begin to outline the shape of the function. Does this help?

Yes, I understand, and it does help a little bit. But, generally, you only said what I said in my post. What you said proves that there is a intrinsic relation between the integral and the derivative. But it does not prove that the derivative is the inverse operation of the integration (i.e. antidifferentiation).

lavinia said:
Your green region is just the increment in the area from x to x + delta x. the Newton quotient is this area increment divided by delta x and is thus the average height of the function in the green region. As delta x goes to zero this average becomes the value of the function at the left end point.

I don't see how this helps in my question. But thank you anyway!

noone123 said:
I honestly don't see how this knowledge(or more like understanding) is going to benefit you.

From all I know...Integration is the process of finding areas, volumes etc under curves. The fundamental theorem of calculus is able to use the primitive of the curve to find the area under the curve. So technically, you should be saying that diffentiating and finding the primitive are inverse operations.

lol sorry if I didnt help. I'm quite weak in everything here compared to everyone else

I know that maybe there is no sense in trying to understand mathematical things intuitively, but I usually understand these things this way.

Like you said: the derivative is the inverse of antidifferentiation (that gives you the primitive) and not of definite integrals (that are used to calculate the areas). I'm afraid that the antidifferentiation itself doesn't represent anything intuitively.

So I'm afraid that after understanding this my question has no sense.

Thank you

Taturana said:
I don't see how this helps in my question. But thank you anyway!

Thank you

The intuition is that the area of the green region is the area of a rectangle whose height is the average height of the function. One imagines this height converging to the function's value at the end point as the increment goes to zero. This is a clear picture.

lavinia said:
The intuition is that the area of the green region is the area of a rectangle whose height is the average height of the function. One imagines this height converging to the function's value at the end point as the increment goes to zero. This is a clear picture.

Ahh, I see. But it does not tell me why the derivative is the inverse of antidifferentiation, does it?

Thank you again.

Taturana said:
Ahh, I see. But it does not tell me why the derivative is the inverse of antidifferentiation, does it?

Thank you again.

yes it does. The area is the integral, the function is the derivative of the area.

Related to Trying to understand why integration is inverse of differentiation

1. What is integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are mathematical operations that involve finding the relationship between a function and its rate of change. Differentiation is the process of finding the derivative of a function, which represents the slope of the function at any given point. Integration, on the other hand, is the reverse process of differentiation and involves finding the original function from its derivative.

2. Why is integration the inverse of differentiation?

Integration is the inverse of differentiation because it undoes the process of differentiation. When we differentiate a function, we are essentially finding its rate of change, or slope, at different points. Integration, on the other hand, involves summing up all these small changes to find the original function. Therefore, integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other.

3. How are integration and differentiation related?

Integration and differentiation are related through the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. This means that by performing integration on a function, we can get back the original function by differentiating it. Similarly, by differentiating a function, we can find the original function by integrating it.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding the relationship between integration and differentiation?

The understanding of the relationship between integration and differentiation is crucial in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It helps in modeling and analyzing real-world problems, such as finding the velocity and acceleration of an object, calculating the area under a curve, and predicting future trends in data.

5. How can I improve my understanding of integration and differentiation?

The best way to improve your understanding of integration and differentiation is through practice. Solve a variety of problems, both theoretical and practical, to gain a deeper understanding of the concepts. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, or consult a tutor or teacher for guidance and clarification on any doubts or questions you may have.